Report: Sony plans to bring PS Store back online May 24

Thursday, 19th May 2011 16:07 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony intends to bring the PlayStation Store back online on May 24, should a memo sent to the firm’s publishing partners be any indication, following PSN being taken down as the result of a mid-April hack.

The internal memo, handed over to Gamasutra, contains a contingent schedule of when partners’ games and other content will become available to PSN users once again.

According to the document, Sony plans on releasing two content updates a week for the next fortnight in order to catch up and reduce its backlog.

“We thank you for your patience as we work to resume service of the PlayStation Store,” wrote content manager Jack Osorno in the memo.

“If there are concerns, we are willing to consider adjusting the release date of your content on this schedule. Adjustments will be made on a case by case basis.”

The first Store update on May 24 will contain content originally scheduled for April 26, and content originally scheduled for May 3 will go live May 27.

More content updates are scheduled for May 31 and June 3, which will include the content originally scheduled to be doled out over a three week period.

The memo does not indicate what, if anything, Sony plans to do in order to compensate for any monetary losses which may have incurred to developers affected by the PSN outage.

Sony stated in its FAQ earlier this week, that it planned to provide users with multiple PS Store updates and that, “To date, three Tuesday publishes were missed, which included items like Under Siege and the MotorStorm Apocalypse demo.”

This past Sunday, Sony restored partial service to its PlayStation Network, after the service was brought down on April 19 following an intrusion into the PSN database.

After the release of mandatory Firmware update 3.61 and a requirement of users to update passwords, Sony said it planned on restoring full services by the end of the month.

1. StolenGlory

I bloody well hope so.

I have a 50% off voucher for Vagrant Story that expires on the 25th!

2. rrw

^ good thing every got plus now so we have discount right after the store is up

3. Razor

You’re still not getting my CC info Sony :)

4. RandomTiger

I hope they stagger it, and the make good pack too, otherwise its going to get messy.

5. Nozz

Good! Will be buying Fancy Pants adventures immediately.

6. Patrick Garratt

I’ll be interested to see how it handles millions of people all trying to grab their free games at once.

7. reask

I was actually pondering that myself.
    I wonder will they regionalise it?

8. Bluebird

@6 Presumably it handles it by shutting down. ^.^

9. Christopher Jack

@7, Probably. US & Canada first :(

10. SlayerGT

Not firin up L.A. Noire until I can download my DLC ;)

11. TVs Everywhere

I’m sure Sony cares VERY deeply about you specifically. Howard Stringer will now have sleepless night after sleepless night unable to cope with the fact that Razor from VG247 won’t give them their CC info.

12. NeoSquall

@1 You have my sympathy. In fact I’d be just beside the new PS Store Server once it gets online just to be the first to access it and redeem the bloody voucher and the game :D

13. Mike

As soon as it reopens, I’m going to spend loads of money to show my support.

14. xino

cool
    it should be up 25 in UK but i hope it comes up 24

15. The_Deleted

Just want my Rock Band Store back…

16. PS3Dreamer

I can’t wait to see it

17. Lounds

Well if it’s anything like steam e.g. When a New game is released that everyone wants (L4D/2), Steam used to bottlekneck and you’d be lucky to get 300kbps, So I imagin PSN to be worse in this case, even still me likes “FREE GAMES”