PSN Welcome Back package includes LBP, inFamous, more

Tuesday, 17th May 2011 00:00 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony has detailed the Welcome Back packages for the EU and US PlayStation Networks, including a choice of two free PS3 games.

Both EU and US network members will receive their selection of two of the following PS3 games, free:

• LittleBigPlanet
  • Infamous
  • Wipeout HD/Fury
  • Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty (EU Only)
  • Dead Nation
  • Super Stardust HD (US Only)

PSP users will also be up for two gratis titles, from a choice of:

• LittleBigPlanet PSP
  • ModNation PSP
  • Pursuit Force
  • Killzone Liberation

Germany seems to be the only EU country to see exceptions to this scheme; instead of InFamous and Dead Nation, German members will be offered Super Stardust HD and Hustle Kings, and rather than Pursuit Force and Killzone Liberation, will be able to choose from Everybody’s Golf 2 and Buzz Junior Jungle Party on PSP.

Both networks will also provide the following benefits:

• 30 days free PlayStation Plus membership for non PS Plus subscribers
  • Existing PlayStation Plus subscribers will be given 60 days free subscription
  • Existing Music Unlimited subscribers will be given 30 days free subscription

A selection of free items for Home is in the works, and US members only will also see a weekend of selected free video rentals once service is restored.

Other territories’ offers are expected to be detailed soon. You’ll get your goods when the PS Store relaunches at some point this month.

Sony’s announcement comes on the heels of a partial restoration of PSN services following last month’s hacks.

Hit up the EU and US PS Blogs for more information and updates.

1. BraveArse

Oh FFS – I have all of those.

2. Kyzzz

A better idea would have been to put a certain amount of funds on everyone account so that they could buy whatever they want because A LOT of people already have all of these games or… how about they just give everyone a free copy of Uncharted 3 :D

3. mathare92

Only own LBP, so I’m pleased. Infamous and Wipehout HD gratis? I’ll take that, thank you.

4. nofear360

Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty is exclusive to the EU users, actually.

5. xino

inFAMOUS was rubbish to me man, all you do are complete objectives task so you can level up and gain new powers.

I had to return that game.

Little big planet..not interested in the game.

I will definitely get Dead Nation.

Not sure about Rachet

already have Wipeout

6. Keivz

I don’t own any of those games. I’ll be getting Infamous for sure. Question is: LBP or Wipeout HD…

7. nofear360

@ xino: isn’t that the point of at least 50% of games out there?

Personally, Infamous is my favourite PS3 exclusive so far.

Edit: Actually, make that 90%.

8. AJacks92

Wow. I’m surprised they’re actually giving out free games and more. Just be grateful you’re getting anything (and more) for free dudes.

9. mathare92

@6 If you don’t own any of the five, LBP should be the first thing you get. Unique and brilliant game with enough content to last you hundreds and hundreds of hours. ;)

@8 ditto.

10. kartana

@8 Not if you already own all 5 games…

11. super64

@2 Problem with just giving people funds is that many have multiple accounts. I for example have 4, so if SONY were to give, say, 20€ to every user I’d get 80€ in total.

I’ll most likely get LBP and Wipeout. Wish that instead of Quest for Booty they would’ve given Crank in time, though. :D

12. NightCrawler1970

I guess, i go for Dead Nation, and Pursuit Force on PSP :D, to bad no 4 free games, i do have PSP…

13. Ihadd2

I own all of these games already. Except for the PSP version’s. So I’m not winning with this deal at all. Really sucks!!!!

14. G1GAHURTZ

COOL!!

Thanks Sony!

15. onlineatron

All the PS3 games have sequels out, or coming out, bar Dead Nation and WipEout (although the latter is rumoured).

This is just marketing for Sony. Marketing in the guise of goodwill.

Granted it’s costly advertising, but you can see that Sony has chosen these products in order to promote their services and games (The free month of PS+ best cancel automatically).

Regardless, I’ll get WipEout as I haven’t got Fury, and Dead Nation. I’ll also get the PSP games as I have a PSP, but never bought any games for it.

16. Phoenixblight

It could also be that all the games are published by Sony so they don’t have to pay for out of pocket expense. There was no way they were going to put out 3rd party games.

17. Christopher Jack

Hmm, I guess I’ll be getting Dead Nation & maybe Infamous. I’m honestly quite pleased with all of these choices, I was half expecting minis.

18. CaptPierce

Why? I’m an American, has a US PSN account, and just happens to live in Germany. It really sucks being over here sometimes. Cause I just sold inFamous to make a quick buck and I’ve never owned LittleBigPlanet. FML. :( Oh well, at least I get 60 free days of PS Plus.

19. Patrick Garratt

I’ll have inFamous and Dead Nation, deffo.

20. Schindet Nemo

@19 As long as you use your US account you should be able to download Infamous. The restrictions apply to German PSN accounts not German IPs as far as I know.

21. Dannybuoy

I’ve got most of them already R&C or wipeout might do for me. I can see why they’ve chosen those games, they’re good and they don’t have to part with any money to 3rd parties. They’re not losing any cash by giving them away free.

22. Blerk

Hmm. Not a particularly inspiring selection of PSP titles, I was hoping there’d be more choice.

Already have LBP so it’ll have to be Mod-Nation and…. Pursuit Force? I have no idea what that even is. A racing game? I surmise Killzone Liberation is full of potty-mouth and violence?

23. varsas

I don’t own any of those so great news for me! I assume these are all downloadable versions?

For those that own them already, at least you can trade your physical copies for some money or other games?

24. Gekidami

I’m surprised they didnt throw MAG in there.

25. Johnny Cullen

I have all of them for PS3 bar one: Dead Nation. Guess I know what I’m getting, then.

26. Patrick Garratt

Actually, this will make me get my PSP out again. It’ll be LBP and Killzone, I guess. Is ModNation any good on PSP?

27. Schindet Nemo

@Pat
    Can you really get 4 games? I thought you have to pick 2 with additional choices for PSP owners?

28. Patrick Garratt

@27 – Ah, I’m not sure. I haven’t read that PS Blog post properly. Can you only pick two in total?

29. StolenGlory

@28 From Nick Caplin on the EU PS Blog responding to the question; “What happens if you have a PS3 and a PSP?”

Answer: “In that case you wil be able to get two games for each platform”.

Score!

30. Bluebird

You can pick 2 PS3 games and 2 PSP games,

“what about folks with a ps3 and a psp?”
    “Posted on 16 May, 2011 at 10:35 pm by Nick Caplin
    In that case you wil be able to get two games for each platform”
    http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/16/details-of-the-welcome-back-programme-for-scee-users-2/ Comment 4

Ed: beaten. :)

31. Schindet Nemo

@29 & 30
    Ah ok, thanks for pointing that out.

I’ll have Infamous, Dead Nation, Killzone and Pursuit Force then, even though I still have Alpha Protocol on backlog and haven’t even beaten Act 2 in DA2 yet.

32. Patrick Garratt

@29, 30 – Ta :D

33. dravenkaze

i have LBP, Infamous and Dead Nation, Wipeout HD/Fury and Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty it is for me then i guess

34. cheesy

time to get my free LBP and not sure what other game i should get

35. Badger

Awesome, I’ll take Little Big Planet and Infamous on the PS3 and Killzone and Modnation on the PSP. Was hoping for one of the God of War’s on the PSP, but no matter. It is appreciated all the same!

36. Hybridpsycho

I own/have played all of those except Dead Nation >_> Which I am not the slightest interested in to be honest.

Oh well, guess I’m not getting anything special then…might just get Killzone for mah PSP…not that I’ll play it XD

37. absolutezero

I had a feeling that I was going to own everything they presented but yeah…

shit.

38. Blerk

Can’t help feeling it might’ve been more popular if they’d just bunged everyone some free credit instead so that they could buy what they liked.

39. Bluebird

Would probably have proven to be way more expensive though.

40. NightCrawler1970

#24, yeah sure, they’re not that stupid, but MAG is a killer, i played MAG last night for almost 6 hours, it was quiet…, but soon more gamers will join day by day…

Well in that case, i will take Little planet an Dead Nation on PS3, and Little planet and Pursuit Force on PSP :D, and what about being a temp “+” member? are the games also free on PSN? or you have to be a “perminant +” member to keep the “+” games?? just a question.. don’t wan’t to download all free “+” games and when the “+” member is over the games are no longer playable….

41. ManuOtaku

From that list the ones i do not own are Wipeout HD/Fury and Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty, thats really good if you ask me, but i rather prefer they let you choose the games you want two or three at least, but is good nontheless, i wanted to pick those up but another games picked my attention first. Nice indeed thanks

One question though i can pick those two and then pick from the psp list to make a total of five or i need to get them all?
    P.S i re-read the post and yes you choose two from the list of ps3 and two from the psp sorry my mistake

42. a7md1990

hey ya’ll.. wait.. I’ve got 3 different accountz on da same ps3… a middle east account + two fake uk and us accountz.. does this mean two free gamez from each store???

43. NightCrawler1970

@41, if that happens, i would come with, 2 slots for MAG, plus 2 map-packs, than im happy.. :D total value, $16.96, they have a saying “you can’t always get what you want”…, hopefully i got enough space on HDD for both PS3 games, and enough space on my SD chip…

44. reask

The 2 I dont have are r/c and dead nation.
    Is it true r/c has no trophies?

45. DGOJG

Is everyone forgetting that you also get PSN+ meaning you get tones of discounts and other free stuff too?

46. cloud_ix

@44 true

47. Blerk

The PSN+ thing is pretty pointless if you don’t plan on continuing to pay for it once the free month is up.

48. reask

@ 46.
    Darn. :(

49. Yoshi

Well that’s a load of SHIT! I’ve already got infamous and LBP.
    Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty is the only half decent game left for me to get. What a load of shit, could have at least offered some more choice or as someone said above slapped an amount into our funds for us to use on whatever we wanted.

50. NightCrawler1970

@47, agreed, yeah, why pay for Xtra that you don’t use, gaming with Sony was free, even you paid monthly Internet, why pay 1 yeah(like live) to have $2,- off from the full price?? or some small games even free… or having extra avatar???

It’s nice of Sony to give non-”+” member 1 month free, but as long not to be “FORCED” to be member, i red Sony statements, as long you be non-”+” member nothing will charge from your “virtual wallet” if wallet contains $0,00 than will be automatic billed from the CC…

Sony think that the whole world running by CC, but now due Hack, people lost the faith that there personal information included there credit information was exposes and not encrypted, people will come with “PSN-CARDS” like “LIVE”..

51. tenthousandgothsonacid

@47 Blerk. I’m quite pleased I can buy up some stuff nice and cheap and then keep it. Obviously I’ll use pre-paid cards rather than a credit card this time ;) I do hope Sony have been printing more cards up, I think demand may be up …

52. YoungZer0

Fucking cunts. Seriously i have been keeping quiet about the whole break down of PSN, but this is bullshit. The only games on that list that interest me are not available to me? Are you fucking serious? I can buy all those games, here in germany, without any problems, so how come they are not available to me?

Fuck you, you cunts, you fucking owe us. I have the right to receive the same games, you assholes.

There is absolutely no fucking reason for this.

53. YoungZer0

SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK IS BUZZ JUNIOR JUNGLE PARTY?!

54. mingtons ghost

As i’ve got three accounts, UK, American and Jap…does that mean i can get 6 games???…? hmm

55. Blerk

I surmise if you make a bunch of new accounts now they won’t qualify, right? :-D

56. ManuOtaku

#52 +1 all the wellcome back package should be the same for all the countries, thats a shame on them, iam not affected by this but man you have my support on this, i dont like different treatment for the users, we all deserve the same no matter the country or region, i hope thy will change this.
    And i like the wellcome package there is something for everyone to like and pick, but like i said it should be the same to all of us. period

57. LOLshock94

I won’t beheading to Tenerife any time soon.

58. StolenGlory

Wow, classy. :/

59. Yoshi

@56 Are you kidding me? This selection is shit.

60. Ireland Michael

@59 It’s not even close to “shit”. The titles on both these lists are some of the highest quality games available on their respective formats.

The only one on the lists that I downright dislike is inFamous, and that’s purely a case of personal preference.

61. ManuOtaku

#59 Sorry if i didnt explain myself correctly and i do understand that theres some people that maybe dont like all the games and i respect that, what i did try to said that maybe for everyone there is a game that can catch someones eyes attention, i mean they are 3 AAA titles in it, and good PSN tittles, therefore in my humble opinion is not that shit, its good, not great but good nontheless it could be worse like the german selection which is in my eyes, yes kinda bad IMHO, thats why i did state the treatment should be equal to everyone.

62. Yoshi

@60 & @61 Lets just put it this way, they could have offered so much more. And yes the offers for each region should be equal.

63. ManuOtaku

#62 i agree it could be better, yes indeed, but if you think about it it could be worse, much worse, like the german option, at least we agree with the equal treatment for all regions 8D, thats bad really bad

64. Mike

@60: It’s a very poor, cheap way to say sorry. Most people put out by the lack of PSN must’ve already either owned, played, or rented 90% of that selection.

The games’ quality as titles is not what’s being discussed.

65. Yoshi

@62 I couldn’t have put it better.
    Most people already owned,played or rented at least 90% of that selection. Playstation has so much more to offer and as you said, it’s a cheap way to say sorry.

66. OrbitMonkey

Ho Ho, Mike can’t resist having a little pop at Sony :) You smell the whiner stink & figure you’d add your pennys worth eh?

For all you poor souls devasted at your loss of a months free online gaming & crippled at the choice of free games Sony are offering up as compensation, let me ask you this. Just what are those hackers offering you? You know the guys responsible?

67. CaptKillsteal

Personally I’m ecstatic since I’ve only played LBP in that list, and can’t wait to get my PS3 and PSP games. Sony didn’t have to give us anything. They didn’t have to have a welcome back package at all. They could have gone the Microsoft route and given us a single indie game like Undertow. I wasn’t a fan of it, but at least it was something.

People need to quit whining like a bunch of babies and accept the fact that Sony at least gave us something. Be happy that PSN is back online and go back to playing… Actually… Stay here, then I won’t have to listen to your whining online. :)

68. IL DUCE

Two games I wasn’t going to pay for to try I can know get free: Infamous and LBP…or should I do Dead Nation over LBP?

69. OrbitMonkey

Dead Nation. I hate LBP…. I admit its a irrational hatred as i’ve never played it… But I know its shit… just don’t ask me how ;)

70. ManuOtaku

#68 Well mate in my opinion go with LBP unless you own number two and/or are you planning to buying it, for me Dead nation is an Ok game, nothing more nothing less.