Rumour – Modern Warfare 3 features “a much larger, epic scale,” destructable environments

Tuesday, 10th May 2011 15:41 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Kotaku‘s reporting that Modern Warfare 3 will feature a “much larger epic scale,” saying the story could see a World War III-like situation.

It reports that, following MW2′s story, it won’t go along the same path of the Red Dawn-like story that Homefront followed. MW3 will also see the return of Soap and Captain Price.

It reiterated that Infinity Ward is creating the game alongside a collaborator, thought to be Sledgehammer Games.

A report from yesterday said that the game, codenamed by a Tesco release list as Project Colossus, will release on November 8.

1. StolenGlory

‘Destructable Environments eh?’ – That could be cool if they do it right and providing of course that the destructable environs aren’t groan-worthily signposted by different coloured walls etc…

2. OlderGamer

Hmm almost sounds like a Battlefield game….

3. StolenGlory

Now, wouldn’t THAT be somethin’ ;)

4. ManuOtaku

Not to bash out this topic or the likes, but where its does saids that have destructable envionments?, becuase i see it on the tittle but not on the body of the article.

5. Coheno

I wonder when they decided to add “destrctible environments”!? Also, I’m pretty sure Raven probably also is in on this one, if for nothing else than mulitplayer maps!

6. Coheno

Under the otaku artivle it says “The game will also feature large, urban destructible environments.”

But weird, can’t imagine they updated the enigne that much since MW2! Also don’t think that engine is made for that kind of stuff…but what do I know!?

7. TheWulf

I got the same vibe.

“Hey, we’re copying Battlefield. Can we be friends again, now?”

This… is going to be interesting.

8. StolenGlory

I imagine that we’re looking at either a massively modded iteration of the existing engine or a brand new one altogether. The main thing that worries me about the next CoD is that should the multi-developer rumour be true, than the game might end up in a similar way to Medal Of Honor, whereupon the single-player and multi-player felt like two completely different games.

9. ManuOtaku

#6 coheno thanks iam at work and the internet here doesnt allow me to open the Kotaku page, thanks and never mind my comment then, sorry.

10. Erthazus

and someone said that CALL OF DUTY PLAYERS don’t need destruction and etc.

Of course they need. Physics in that game are just plain retarded and they are playing catch up to Battlefield as always.

But they won’t fool me. Destructible environments with id Tech 3 engine means that you can destroy only particles and thats not even BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY 1 level.

but i will judge that later. Also, good thing that there will be larger maps. Game wanted to have that since MW2, but could not do…………………. Because of the engine of course.

11. OlderGamer

@7 Yep. Doesn’t bother me tho, did you see the Battlefield 3 stuff? Thats a nice looking game!

12. Gekidami

“a much larger, epic scale, destructible environments”
    What? I dont get it, will it feature ‘A much larger, epic scale, destructible environment’ or ‘Much larger, epic scale, destructible environmentS‘?

13. ManuOtaku

Well if they get it right iam in, i like this on Battlefield BC II, and i hope it creates another gameplay layer strategy wise to this game, so maybe a few people would play it not in run and gunning fasion, and more on team play, in some type of matches run and gun works great,dont get me wrong, but i do like some type of them to be a little more team based and with a strategy throw in the mix.

14. ReeceHeywood

Can’t beat it, join it.

15. OlderGamer

Odly worded, your right Gek.

I think they mean larger scale story? With destructable enviroments. And like it has already been said, I bet you can only destroy certian walls and such. Could be wrong, but it sounds like they are trying to steal some of Battlefield 3s buzz by using some of their hype words, like everything goes boom and big maps.

Ok all of this battlefield talk, I think I am gonna go play some.

16. Edo

Hmmmm….

17. Erthazus

@15, until they will change engine destructible environments are:

1) Only certain prescripted walls

2) Particles of some walls

ONLY.

18. TD_Monstrous69

Unless I’ve got a 360 by this fall, I won’t even bother getting this. I’m interested in the story, but I just can’t believe anything they say about gameplay changes. Mainly because they just never do it. Maybe small tweaks, but never anything really noteworthy.

19. deadstoned

I’d go with what #17 said. I had a feeling this was coming, anyone notice that crappy prescripted small bridge collapse in the winter dlc map? And if thats the case I wouldn’t call it “epic”.

20. G1GAHURTZ

MW3 baby!!!

This game is going to pwn all other AAA’s!

GOTY 2011 without question…

Let the hype begin!

21. minxamo

HA! Now that Dice is cranking up the battlefield 3 marketing, and actually gaining interest, IW are getting worried.
    I reckon the destructible environments part is bullshit, the most destruction we’ll get is smashing the odd window.

22. Ireland Michael

@20 Or the more likely reality… it’s going to be the same rehashed game again.

*yaaaaawn*

23. M. K.

`IW are getting worried.`

Yeah of course… I’m sure they don’t even know, that there’s a studio in Sweden which try to get the shooter crown and fail every time.

24. G1GAHURTZ

@22: Nah, this is going to be HUGE!

I expect massive updates to both SP and MP.

Both Acti and IW have a lot to prove now that so many have gone to Respawn. This is the biggest game in the world, like the teaser said, so expect the kitchen sink!

25. cyberrblob

They have destructible environments in the first map pack. So this sounds about right, guessing it will be small scale.

26. Hunam

@23 Umm… Back in 2005 BF2 had the shooter crown. They basically made modern warfare settings the in thing with it.

27. G1GAHURTZ

2005 was a dead year for FPS’s.

FEAR, Quake 4 and BF2 was about all there was after HL2 raised the gaming bar in 2004.

CoD2 came out, but WW2 games were getting old, even back then!

I think most hardcore FPS players were still on CS, anyway.

28. Erthazus

“2005 was a dead year for FPS’s.”

In your fucking dream maybe.

FEAR 1, BF2 were epic.
    Battlefield 2 still have very big community so saying something like “2005 was a dead year for FPS’s”

shows that you know about FPS almost nothing except for Call Of Repetition titles.

“I think most hardcore FPS players were still on CS, anyway.”

and they still play it to date (on Steam or not) and BF2, even Battlefield 1942 have a huge community. So no.

BF2 is still one of the revolutionary and best multiplayer games and always will be. DICE waited several years till technology can be up to their ideas with Battlefield 3 and it’s time to raise the bar again.

Since Battlefield 1942 they only raised the bar.

29. M. K.

@#26: Well I don’t really care. I just wanted to say, that there’s nothing that will make IW or Acti worry about something. Even if the game wont offer something new and good, it will sell twice or more times more than any Battlefield.

/e: @#30: where did you get that?

30. Robbins

Appsrently Rob Bowling said that engine won’t be updated for another couple of games so this makes no sense

31. Hunam

There just wasn’t the millions of games released every year back then like there is now. It wasn’t a quiet year, it was on par for the time.

32. EscoBlades

Man….Kotaku need some new sources innit?

*LOL*

33. G1GAHURTZ

In 2004 we saw HL2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Unreal 2004, The Chronicles of Riddick, etc, etc.

Everything slowed down in 2005, so there were only a couple of AAA shooters for us to choose from.

I got BF2 back then because there wasn’t much else!

Not because it was the best game…

34. manamana

I was impressed by MW1, because of the sounds&settings. But since than, Call Of Grenades couldn’t win my love again. Oh, the fun I have with BFBC2. Team based gaming plus destructible environments plus vehicles equals fun. At least to me and to each their own. The Bugfest so many trolls are drooling about, oh well, couldn’t care less, as long as there are those memorable Battlefield moments …

That said, I’m keen to know, if they can transplant something fresh into the sameold, sameold CoD theatre.

35. Aman27deep

Being a PC gamer, i have to say that Activision doesn’t support Indian/South-East Asia gamers, like they don’t release the PC version in India, and there are no servers to play in SEA (their lowest ping is 150, and no SEA servers means Indian can’t play Black-Ops), so well, you can fuck yourself.

*Pre-orders BattleField 3*

@20 – Its retards like u who buy shitty COD games year after year after year.

36. G1GAHURTZ

India? lol!

37. Hunam

Yeah, there’s like a billion people there giga. I’d imagine one or two might wanna play CoD. :|

38. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, they also probably have more illegal copies of games than China and Taiwan combined.

I’d imagine that Acti probably sell a few thousand legit copies of games there each year, due to prices…

Why would they care about India?

39. AmiralPatate

Destructible environments, that’s aweso… oh wait, that reminds me of something. A 2008 video-game maybe? And I’m not sure they’ll do better than Bad Company 1.

40. M. K.

Now here we go, some clueless BF fans claiming that DICE is the first dev team ever to make destructions possible…

Please IW forget about all that stuff, just make a good Call of Duty that runs on a new engine, thx!