Miyamoto addresses Project Cafe rumors

Thursday, 21st April 2011 17:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Shigeru Miyamoto has discussed recent rumors regarding Nintendo’s next console, which is said to be called Project Cafe.

Speaking in an interview with French site Gameblog, Miyamoto said he was familiar with the “coffee” rumors. We’ve translated it to the best of our Google abilities below.

“Yes, I have heard rumors of “Coffee”,” he said. “At the time I want to say it’s normal. You know Nintendo, like all other manufacturers, our job is to design new machines.

“We believe it takes 5 years to make the R & D interesting. Afterwards, I admit that there is no smoke without fire. We must realize that we spend our time developing in-house gaming consoles. Some of you will never see.

“With us, as we do not know exactly where we are going and when we [will] get out our next console, we do not disclose [this] publicly. But we should not believe everything we read.”

So, either it is indeed all a rumor or he is blowing understandable smoke in our direction. We’ll all find out come E3 one way or the other.

Thanks, ScrawlFX.

1. daytripper

it’s coming and will hopefully be awesome

2. Christopher Jack

I don’t expect to see any new home consoles to be announced this year.

I would imagine Nintendo focusing on the 3DS & maybe reveal a Wii game or 2.

I would imagine Microsoft focusing on Kinect & probably reveal a Halo remake but the rest would be focused on Gears of War & 3rd party games like CoD, I’ll be disappointed if they don’t announce any new IPs.

I would imagine Sony having an amazing show, mainly focusing on the NGP giving it a release date & a real name, showing us it’s features & revealing half a dozen games for it. Hopefully more details about PlayStation Suite, PS2 games would be AWESOME!!1! Also see Sony revealing 2-3 sequels & hopefully a new IP or 2.

3. cheesecake24

Fake or not they sure look believable.

This was just released :

4. daytripper

@3 that looks gorgeous, fake or not

5. Erthazus

Gorgeous?

go find some good site with PC parts and you will find much better looking case.

to be honest, it looks like a standard PC case for 40 bucks. I’m serious (if it’s not fake)

6. 2plus2equals5

For the moment nintendo fails to get me interested.
    Wii introduced motion controls(i was interested), but it was technologically cheap(=no multiplatform games), ds introduced the second screen(not interested), but it was cheap, 3ds goes 3d(i’m interested) but it’s cheap and overpriced.
    So the safest bet i can do is that the wii2 will be technologically cheap, with outdated hardware and cheap screen, it will have this (closing)gen multiplatform games but not the next gen’s ones.

7. Erthazus

@6, DS still rocks with great games compared to PSP.
    but i enjoyed PSP personally a bit more.

8. 2plus2equals5

@7:
    I have a psp that i love more than my ps3, but i respect the ds and its games, the problem is that i don’t want a second screen. ;)

9. OrbitMonkey

I just feel this is bullshit. I mean Ninty’s next move Is to build a machine slightly more powerful than its 2 less succesful competitors?

10. Erthazus

@9 that are already old? Is that… A problem?