Anonymous not satisfied by Sony vs GeoHot settlement

Thursday, 14th April 2011 01:33 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Anonymous has announced it intends to carry through with planned protests at Sony stores, despite the out-of-court settlement of Sony’s case against PlayStation 3 hacker George “GeoHot” Hotz.

A video statement released on the AnonOps Youtube channel, and embedded below, said the anarchic hacktivist group is not satisfied.

“GeoHot has taken a settlement with Sony. The case has been dropped. In the eyes of the law, the case is closed. For Anonymous, it is just beginning,” the video stated.

“By forcing social networking sites such as YouTube and Facebook to hand over IP addresses of those who have viewed [videos demonstrating PlayStation hacking techniques, Sony has] performed an act of privacy invasion.

“We, Anonymous, will not allow this to happen.”

The video goes on to encourage members to participate in this weekend’s planned in-store protests.

Thanks, Destructoid.

[image]

1. TerraZet

Really? For god sake, I liked that film, why did they have to go and ruin it… I guess it’ll be humorous for the sony stores when they see two fat guys in Guy Fawkes masks turn up and start heaving.

I think they need to grow up.

2. I Am A Troll

“ [...] forcing social networking sites such as YouTube and Facebook to hand over IP addresses of those who have viewed [videos demonstrating PlayStation hacking techniques [...] ”

I wasn’t aware that Sony tried to do/did this… Bad Sony, bad bad Sony.

3. The1stMJC

I am really curious to see how many actually show up.

Also aren’t there more important “injustices” out there that actually deserve attention? We must live in a great world if this is the biggest problem that people feel deserves protests.

Also how many times has this group got what they want must be low since they are now attacking Sony over a settled court case.

4. Ireland Michael

Man, this shit is hilarious.

Do these guys even realise how stupid they look?

5. Ireland Michael

Also, that YouTube channel is run by a bunch of nobodies whose videos have been universally ignored by everyone, bar that recent Sony one. And that has nothing but negative comments on it.

These are a bunch of bedroom idiots looking for attention. Stop giving them attention they want. Please.

6. mojo

There isnt a bunch. Inform urself before u start ranting.
    If u release a video under the pseudonym anonymous, then u are anonymous.
    Everyone can be part of anonymous.
    why dont ppl get that?

7. The_Deleted

Because no one cares.

8. Zaan

This whole matter is beyond stupid.
    I’d understand if these guys protested against some government oppressing their people…
    But they are rebelling against a video game console manufacturer. VIDEO GAME!! I wonder how people who are apparently so talented could be such idiots.
    It’s waste for all of us really. They could be doing things that could benefit all of us. Imagine Anonymous’ future conversation with his grandchildren:

Anonymous: “Kids, when I was your age I was a talented hacker and could change the world by exposing the truth about pharmaceutical companies, or dictators and corrupted politicians, I had the power to make the world a better place billions of dollars would be taken away from tha bad guys and given to the people!”

Kid 1: “Ooooh that’s amazing! Did you do any of those things?”
    Anonymous: “No. I hacked a game console so that I wouldn’t have to pay 25$ for a game!!!”

Kid 1: “That’s all you did?”

Anonymous: “Yes! Awesome isn’t it?!”

Kid 1:”….”

Kid 2:”….”

Kid 3:”… grandpa…your’e a dumbass…”

9. Dannybuoy

“Sony has performed an act of privacy invasion”… GeoHot performed an act of copyright infringement. Really, this is getting silly. Silly boys. The more action they take the more media exposure Sony get, the more the brand is in the public eye, the more sales they get. The best thing Anonymous can do is to just stop. They have to stop soon as their mums have their dinner ready.

10. Kerplunk

Anonymous’s reasoning/excuse of ‘invasion of privacy’ concerning the access given of potentially personal information to others is hypocritical. Given that so many hacker activities have recently revolved around grabbing wodges of personal/private/protected information and making them publicly available it would seem that Anonymous’s principles on privacy are applied extremely selectively.

It’s much the same way as someone saying “I’m gonna hack your box cos you took away a function” and deliberately overlooking the fact that their earlier actions were instrumental in why that function was removed.

Anyway, I think we need a counter-idiocy collective in the face of Anonymous.

Join me, brothers, and fight the good fight. Raise your swords, your trigger fingers and your motion controllers and proclaim in unison: I’M SPARTACUS!

11. Zurtech

Why do I get the feeling they think they’re some grand bunch of heroes in a movie? I mean the Guy Fawke’s mask and “epic” music, seems more like a media studies student project than a activist group. You’d think they’d at least try to get some originality instead of just stealing ideas that have been put about through movies and comics.

12. PsychoboyUK

Children the lot of them!!!!!

You think Im handing over my PS3, my PSP, my VAIO laptop???? They have done nothing to me to warrent any of those kind of actions!!!!

Now to be fair im not a SONY fanboy (Although My Tech says diffrent) I just feel that a mass “Boycott” is a bit OTT for removal of other OS and the obtaining of IP addresses is wrong!!!!! But last time i checked are we not spied upon every day of our lives by our respective governments???

Yes ok it is invasion of privacy but does it really warrant all of this????

I dont mind hackers they can do what they like if it makes things esiaer for us AWESOME but IF said stuff involes the stealing of pepoles hard work don’t get me started!!!!!

Good luck with your protests I dought they will be that FUN and affective just think SONY and others are just enjoying your attitude to all this!!!

OH and next time you wanna ruin a film make it one that is already broken!!!!!

Sorry for the rant had to get that off my chest!!!!

13. Alfakyn

That’s just hilarious

14. PsychoboyUK

@13 ain’t it just lol!!!! they need a kick or a HUG!!! depends how generous your feeling lol

15. Fin

@The_Deleted

Couldn’t've said it better myself.

16. Blerk

These guys seriously need to get over themselves.

17. darth shepard

I like the way they’re tryin’ to show themselves even better than GeoHot.But the truth is if sony supports 120 countries,there are 10 people in each country wanting to break up stores.and if we say even IF they can ask 10 people for doing their crime,then that’ll be only 100 people in each country wanna destroy the stores.
    sadly we don’t have sony or any gaming Representation here,could’ve been a very funny clip.
    p.s : sorry for bad english:D

18. L.O.R.D

gotta love the music
    anyone know it ?
    and for this to
    ?

19. NeoSquall

@Brenna: IMHO I think you’re giving too much credit to these hipsters by embedding their video on this site.
    Writing about it is ok, but embedding their video, thus allowing them to gain more views and credit is like encouraging them to do worse in their stupid cause.

My two cents.

20. DGOJG

These guys are legit. They scare me senseless with terrifying posters like this: http://img7.mediafire.com/6fe8964bd956dcc6c19dd5d24d03c9247327dc386cd0c26d7d06e9dd32eaadc55g.jpg

Seriously? This “group of anon” claim to be decent hackers and yet they come out with a paint document poster? Niiiice. Sony are scared now.

21. Nozz

The thing that I found hilarious is that by the end of the video the music was so damn loud I could barely hear what the text to speech generator was saying!

I hope Sony release a montage of the funniest CCTV footage of these “anonymous” jokers getting kicked out of their stores.

22. Mike

srz

23. ManuOtaku

I was against the cyber attacks to sony servers, because in the end affected consumers as well, which was wrong, but with this iam ok, is their believe that sony affected consumers and they try to defend their point of view in a way that they only affect sony, i hope they achive something with this, at least that make sony think about what they did, and how they can improve in the future,regarding consumer treatment issues, but i guess that will be much to ask.

24. Yoshi

QQ more? Do they understand that other corporations have been screwing over customers even worse than what they see Sony is doing?

25. Ireland Michael

90% of their videos have less barely more than a few thousand views, the original Sony one being the only acception. These *are* just a bunch of bedroom hipsters. Stop giving them exposure.

26. Ireland Michael

I wouldn’t even give them the luxury of calling them hackers. DDoS attacks are incredibly simple to do, and the software to do it is freely available on the net.

Nobody will turn up for any protests, except maybe a few in one of the major cities.

These guys have also threatened the Egyptian Government. Hahahaha! I wonder how that campaign is going…

27. YoungZer0

This isn’t even the “official” Anon Youtube Channel.

28. Gheritt White

@1: The film is SHIT. People who like the film are CUNTS.

Please – go read the book, it’s several zillion times better.

29. StolenGlory

Don’t hold back now :)

Agreed on the book being better than the film thing though.

30. YoungZer0

@28: And by BOOK you mean Comic, right?

31. Gheritt White

@ 30: Yeah, the collected edition published by Vertigo.

I’d say graphic novel, but A.M. hates that term.

@29: Btw, that includes all members of Anon, who have clearly only ever seen the god-awful travesty of a movie.

32. StolenGlory

No worries. The only thing that would be potentially more galling, is if they ripped off yet another Alan Moore work and decided to prance about in Rorschach masks.

The pretentious pricks.

33. YoungZer0

@31: I know. Exactly the reason why i called it Comic.