Tretton: Sony in “growth mode, not cruise control”

Tuesday, 5th April 2011 17:09 GMT By Johnny Cullen

SCEA boss Jack Tretton has said that Sony has not peaked yet, insisting it’s still at “growth mode” with PlayStation 3, four years on from its US launch.

Tretton told Fast Company that it was just getting going in regards to 3D, Move and its upcoming line-up of games.

“We’re really just hitting our stride, that we’re able to get technology in the box or take advantage of the technology that was there, and really show some fruits of those labours,” he said.

“Things like Move, things like 3D, things like the great games that are currently available. So I really feel like we’re just hitting our stride, and that massive investment we made rolling that rock up the hill with the big financial investment of PlayStation 3, and that technological innovation, is something we’re going to reap dividends on for many, many years.”

Tretton added that Sony’s PlayStation business is still growing following PS3′s launch in the US in 2006.

“We’re not in cruise control mode, we’re still in growth mode,” he said. “Fortunately, it’s been steady growth for the past four years, and we anticipate strong growth again in the next fiscal year.”

Sony added 3D capabilities to PS3 last summer, with Move launching last fall. It’s shipped 4.1 million Move units so far.

Its fiscal 2012 will be a big year, and will include the launch of NGP. Check this for full details.

1. Razor

“We’re really just hitting our stride”

He said that at E3 ten months ago.

Might want to check that Fast Company link btw :P

2. someguy2

This year looks like it could be a good year for Sony however, I have a feeling that Microsoft will surprise us with some exclusives for next year.

3. Erthazus

Yeah like… HALO:COMBAT EVOLVED… HD.

I’m not so sure if Microsoft is going to be packed with core software at this E3, more like Kinect with bunch of stage demoes like: Gears Of War 3, forza 4, codename Kingdoms and some multiplatform games like Call Of duty and MGS: Rising with some alan Wake 2 and Halo HD announcement.

Everything else is going to be kinect. Like Star Wars Kinect or Gears Of war Kinect or “Kinectimals 2″ with Dance Central 2 and etc.

Microsoft is predictable.

4. Xuchilbara

@2 – I dont think so… I think they will be focusing more on Kinect right now than anything. Unless you are talking about Kinect titles?

Sony is doing an amazing job right now, as far as good exclusives and FP dev teams go. I really hope they keep going with this. Jack Tretton is badass btw…

5. daytripper

i like the fact sony pushes 3rd person games more, i just wish they would keep game announcements more closer to release, i know what they would probably say though, something like “well we want our consumers or potential consumers to know what they are getting”.

“Jack Tretton is badass btw”

he’s alright, wouldnt go overboard on him

6. Razor

Jack Tretton is an idiot.

He’s been spouting the “hitting our stride” line for so long he should come with a health warning.

7. Erthazus

In my opinion Sony need to do something with PSN, because it is crap compared to XBLA or STEAM.

the one great indie game that i’m looking forward for Ps3 is Journey. there is not much else for me, except for big software that is awesome.

8. daytripper

@7 agree 100% the whole interface is souless, its fitting for a media player but not a games machine with online features. i hate the playstation network design to be honest.

my mates son designed a brilliant template for PSN, the compare trophy and psn id cards were fantastic, he didnt send it to sony though, waste of time.

9. Ireland Michael

“2011 will be the year of the PlayStation! We really, actually mean it this time! Promise!”

10. OlderGamer

@7+8 Yes, I agree too.

Not only that but the number of games on PSn w/o demos kills me. I love bite sized games, like xbla/indie but no way I an dropping cash on something I can’t even try. I have been burnt too often before.

11. daytripper

@10 i watch youtube gameplay videos usually a day after release, i know its not the same as playing the game but i get a fair idea of what its like. i bought Pain without the demo and after five minutes it was a waste of money.

12. JPickford

So why are they laying off staff and closing whole studios? Doesn’t look like growth to me.

13. ManuOtaku

Please dont let the playstation 3 growth, when you do it you loose things like sight, ears, and now things are bad with the other s issue, we dont need to loose anything anymore. please
    P.D guys just find this funny sorry

14. Patrick Garratt

I’ve fixed the link.

15. typeface

@12 That’s mostly SoE (shutting down studios and laying off 300 or so). SoE and SCE are different entities which doesn’t work well sometimes for SCE.

To the average consumer it may read as Sony but Sony is kind of widespread really. SoE is as independent from SCE as Columbia-Tristar would be from their robotics department.