Dragon Age II hits 1 million, gives free PC Mass Effect 2

Tuesday, 5th April 2011 19:49 GMT By John Callaham

To celebrate Dragon Age II topping the 1 million sales mark, step right up and get your free game. Seriously. All you have to do is buy Dragon Age II and you get a free copy of Mass Effect 2.

IGN reports the RPG passed the sales milestone in just two weeks, faster than the best-selling original.

BioWare has announced that anyone who buys Dragon Age 2 between now and April 30 will get a download code that can be used to get a free PC copy of Mass Effect 2.

Better, anyone who purchased Dragon Age 2 in any form – PC, Xbox 360 or PS3 – gets the same deal. Console gamers won’t be able to get a free console version of Mass Effect 2, obviously: it’s PC or nothing.

BioWare’s site has the instructions on how to get the code. Get to it.

1. Heinekeno

Its time PC buyers get what they payed for. Good call EA and Bioware!
    And send some code testers for BF3 to Dice, or they will be overloaded, as it happened to BF:BC2

2. ManuOtaku

That saids something about dragon age II, doesnt it, and is not a good thing…

3. AHA-Lambda

“The Cerberus Network is not included in this promotion, but is still available for purchase if you wish to access that content.”

I know its free and all but seriously? Its almost like a hidden $15 fee -__-

4. NeoSquall

what about ME2 paid DLCs?

5. Golden

I’ve got mine, its the real deal.

Also @ #2 DA2 is overall a fantastic game. The issue around the sparse use of locations is a genuine concern but the story telling and personal investment in the character overrides this. 35 hours or so in and I just enjoy it more with each quest.

6. freedoms_stain

Nah, factor in all the overpriced dlc and it’s not much of a bargain.

Sitting back for “ultimate” editions myself. And will be for all Bioware games until they sort their dlc model out.

7. Phoenixblight

This DLC model won’t be going anywhere if anything they have soldified it with Dragon AGe 2 and you will see the same in Mass Effect 3. Really 5$ per DLC is nothing to complain about for a hours worth of gameplay when some developers charge 15$ for a couple of maps.

I was curious about the PC version of Mass Effect 2 now I get to play it and if I want the DLC I can wait until Bioware or EA has a sale like they did for Dragon AGe Origins.

8. Phoenixblight

Does my copy of Mass Effect 2 include the Cerberus Network content?

Cerberus Network is included and will be entitled to the account used to redeem your Dragon Age II Online Pass. This includes Zaeed – The Price of Revenge, Cerberus Weapon and Armor, Normandy Crash Site, Cerberus Arc Projector, and Firewalker Pack. Visit the offer page to download the necessary files.

Not sure where you got your info but thats directly from the site.

9. AHA-Lambda

@8 WTF! O__O
    They changed it! Seriously that page previously said it did NOT have the cerberus netowrk on it, i swear! O___o

Well all for the better i guess

10. freedoms_stain

@7, cost of new game: £30. RPG, maybe 100 hours worth of gameplay if you batter through a couple of playthroughs and play pretty completely.

dlc mission, £5-8, 1 hours worth of content, 2 or 3 if you replay. It’s hard for me to find value in that. They release a handful of those and I’ve paid for a new games worth of content and only gotten a fraction of the gameplay value.

Some companies do it right, some are hit and miss. Bioware, for me, are more miss.

11. Phoenixblight

5$ = hours worth of gameplay

15$ for the theatre for maybe a hour and half and thats excluding soda and candy. 5$ can buy me lunch. I can easily sacrifice one lunch for a hour worth of game and I have done so. I have enjoyed most if not all of Bioware DLC especially Mass Effect 2′s.

Mass Effect 2: 70$
    All DLC: 20$
    4 Playthroughs about 30 hours of gameplay each = 120 hours

90$ for 120 hours . THats about $1.33 per hour. Thats worth it to me.

12. Ireland Michael

@11 And that’s suggesting you even clear the game that fast.

My entire first playthrough (including all DLC) clocked in at just under 70 hours.

13. blackdreamhunk

I have mass effect 2 with all the dlc. I also have dragon age 2 as well but I am going pass up on dragon 2.

14. Phoenixblight

I was just using a general example I know my latest playthrough was 35 hours and that was me skipping a lot of stuff I didn’t feel like doing like mining for the weapon and armor upgrades. I do know my first playthrough was around 60 hours.

15. NeoSquall

@9 lol you’re not mad, I read that too yesterday

Seems they thought about it and changed their mind. or more realistically the fan backlash was so overwhelming that they included the Cerberus Network in their offering :D

16. Hybridpsycho

Dragon Age 2, as a game was OK. It was an OK story with a stupid ending (really ridiculous) with poor character development. Not being able to really customize anything (except how arrogant the main character is), really made me angry with the game.

Some really poor graphics made me even angrier, while the main characters looked really good you were not able to change their armor. Also, some textures in the game were horrible (even so with the Hi-Res Texture patch). I walked around and looking at some none-relevant random characters and seeing their textures were as Low-Res as some Playstation 1 shit.

While we’re at it not mentioning the poor optimization for DX11, it was horrible and while using DX11 and maxing out AA barely ANYONE could play it without textures being replaced by Black Holes. Not mentioning the fact that what they added with DX11 could just as well have been done in DX9.

As I said at the beginning, as just any game it’s OK. But as a Dragon Age follow-up…they really should be ashamed.