Anno 2070 announced, takes series to the future

Monday, 4th April 2011 19:30 GMT By John Callaham

The long-running Anno series of simulation and strategy games is getting a new entry – and a new time period – thanks to publisher Ubisoft. The new title is Anno 2070. And yes, that does mean this game will be set nearly 60 years in the future.

Developed by Related Designs with some help from Blue Byte Software, the new game is a massive change to the IP, which has thus far been set in the Middle Ages.

Anno 2070 will be set in a future where climate change has caused oceans to rise. Players will have to adapt to the new ecology while also developing new technology and still build up their trading empires, as in previous games in the series.

Players will be able to choose from two factions; the environmentally friendly Ecos, or the technology-based Tycoons. Look for a single-player campaign, a single-player sandbox mode, online multiplayer and more. The game is due out later this winter.

Previous games in the Anno series have gotten a name change when released in the US, but there’s no hint at this for Anno 2070 thus far.

1. DSB

*checks date*

No, seriously, did you check the announcement date for that one?

2. UuBuU

Another one for the end of 2011?

3. Erthazus

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my favourite games and in the future? that is absolute MADNESS.

I don’t know about you guys, but this strategy series is kinda hard for me i don’t know why, but i always behind AI for one step.
    I’m so excited for this.

4. YoungZer0

You gotta be kidding me! That’s a huge jump in time, if you ask me. Actually interested. I know this may sound weird but if the art-direction is good i’ll be very interested.

5. DSB

@3 Yeah, sadly 1440 was poorly designed like that. Unless you followed a specific build order you were pretty much fucked.

That was a real shame. Apart from that, it was a killer game.

6. pukem0n

anno had a different name in the US?
    what was it called there?

7. DSB

Dawn of Discovery.

It was pretty annoying when Steam and Impulse held sales for that version, and didn’t allow you to buy it over here. They pretty much maintained far too high a price in Europe until the last holiday sale.

8. Erthazus

@5, that was a design choice? I never knew that and i tried always hard. Really interesting.

But game is freakin amazing.

9. DSB

@8 Well, I can’t know if it was a choice or not, but that was just how it worked. They didn’t patch it, so it seems that way?

The fun of games like that is always to do it your own way, and build your own thing, but sadly the game wasn’t really willing to allow that.

I felt like it could’ve been huge, but it was held back by that, especially. The warfare was a bit halfhearted too, but it was a really nice throwback to games like Zeus and Caesar, with a lot of great features.

10. Old MacDonald

If this had been announced 1. April, I would have had a good laugh and thought nothing more of it.

But as long as it’s real, well, I have to say it’s pretty exciting news really. The Anno-series is extremely good, and the future is as good a setting as any.

11. NeoSquall

@1 I was suspicious too, but the PR I received states April 4th, so we should take it as true, lol.

Oh and I concur it’s a big step forward in time, I myself expected something like Anno 1805, where the factions would be of course Napoleon and the English.

12. viralshag

Awesome! :D

13. BloodyJoe

I need this for PS3 with PS Move support!