PlayStation 3 celebrates birthday, turns four in Europe

Wednesday, 23rd March 2011 11:12 GMT By Johnny Cullen

SCEE launched PlayStation 3 on Friday, March 23, 2007, meaning it celebrates its fourth birthday in Europe today.

The console, which was to be part of a worldwide launch with the US and Japan before being delayed because of a a shortage of Blu-ray diodes, launched with Resistance: Fall of Man and Motorstorm – which would go on to be major IPs for the company – as well as Ridge Racer 7, F1: Championship Edition, Call of Duty 3 and Virtua Fighter 5, among others.

A slim SKU that was unveiled at gamescom 2009 in Cologne.

PS3 has sold 47.9 million units as of February 2011, with SCE UK announcing recently that 4 million units have been sold in Britain so far.

The highest scoring PS3 title on MetaCritic is GTA IV with 98. The highest ranking first-party title is Uncharted 2: Among Thieves with 96.

The console got motion control support with PlayStation Move last September and 3D last summer, with Sony saying yesterday that nearly 30 3D supported titles will launch by the end of this year.

Not much else to say other than that. Happy birthday, PS3.

1. Blerk

Happy birthday, PS3! It looked a bit ropey back there for a while, but you seem to be back on your feet now.

I was absolutely certain I’d buy one back then, of course. Funny how times change.

2. Johnny Cullen

I think one more price-cut might just push those still on the fence over the line. Only question is when, not if.

3. KAP

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Happy bday, my best gaming moments was with a ps pad in mysweaty palms and always will be.

4. Robo_1

Tips hat!

5. Erthazus

Happy birthday.

I know you are a shitty machine, but you bring some damn goods to be honest. Can’t complain there.

6. Crysis

@6, Not shit, just old.

7. Blerk

Four years isn’t really very old for a console.

8. Erthazus

@6, four years is not very old for a console. We are in the middle of the life cicle.
    But everything inside the console is just a hardware disaster for many developers and whats inside it is not really that impressive.

9. xino

i see the immature assholes have woken up, time for their usual useless trolling on various articles and arguing all day.

10. Crysis

Well Core 2 Quads were introduced about then, they’re not outdated yet but they have nearly been phased out since the Core i3,i5 & i7 range but the Radeon 2000/3000 series which were new back then are outdated, some cards probably as powerful as the PS3/360′s gpu.

11. OrbitMonkey

In retrospect, feeding my ps3 a slice of cake was a bad idea :(

12. Connor O'Michael

According to my anonymous sources, Erthazus doesn’t have a power rig. He’s just been making comments to make it look that way.

He’s got a 486 with 5 1/4 drive, a dot matrix printer and a 28.8 Baud modem. Commander Keen is as close to the next gen as he’s ever seen. He’s waiting for his AdLib soundcard to be delivered next week.

13. StolenGlory

My bladder empties.

14. Crysis

@12, What’s with the new accounts? You’re now able to change your password y’know?

15. mathare92

@14 Since the update, I believe we now have the option to change our screen names.

16. Bond James Bond

4 years on and the system is still over 200 quid. WTF. Sony are a joke.

17. Kalain

Naa.. I got my PS3 from a £20 a month phone contract from Phones4U. It came with Move, which got sold as it just didn’t work, and Little Big Planet. And the phone contract was pretty good as well, and the missus likes her Samsung Android phone (can’t remember which one).

18. russdude13

Happy 4th Birthday PlayStation 3
    It was my PS3′s 3rd Birthday yesterday.

Best purchase in my life. :)

19. Cozzy

4 years on and my little PS3 is still going strong….ish

Such a great console even if it is a tad over-priced.

20. Heinekeno

PS3 is for creepers, and still they cannot play Minecraft.

21. Kuwabara

happy birthday sexy bitch. Love you ps3!!