EA: 40% of all game sales now digital

Thursday, 10th March 2011 09:24 GMT By Patrick Garratt

EA has claimed that as much as 40 percent of all game sales are now taking place digitally, and that stats services such as NPD are becoming irrelevant.

As reported by Industry Gamers, NPD will release US retail sales data this Thursday, but in a world where digital is becoming more prevalent, NPD’s numbers aren’t telling anything like the full story, argues EA, according to notes from a management meeting with Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia.

EA has been talking about the growth of its digital business for some time now, and according to Bhatia, the publisher is bullish on its continued growth with Playfish leveraging core EA brands.

“Overall, we think the digital growth aspect of the EA story is likely to get even stronger and to impress investors in the coming years,” said Bhatia.

EA CEO John Riccitiello said earlier this year that digital sales will overtake retail sales in 2011.

1. xxJPRACERxx

Since the majority of console gamers buy retail, 40% means there’s a lot of PC gamers that purchase their games.

2. Quiiick

I don’t think it’s PC-gamers that lead to these numbers. My guess is that it’s mainly “Social Games” (like http://www.playfish.com/) and “iOS/Android games” that make up for the majority of this 40%.

I’d like to see the numbers for $60 AAA Games being downloaded.

3. OlderGamer

Prolly right, but keep in mind there is a lot more to gaming then AAA 60usd games. And I don’t place more importance on them then I do say Castle Crasher, Shadow Complex, Pixel Junk games, Tourchlight, or the seemingly countless games that don’t go the same route as big budget high cost games.

In fact I value them more in many cases.

Also, not for nothing, but, the last two EA games that were bought in my house were Games on Demand digital downloads on xb360. My son bought Dantes Inferno, and I bought Shift.

And in terms of post #1, I agree. Yes there are a lot of casual game sites out there, but we all know that Steam does a hella biz too.

4. Old MacDonald

2: This is relevant: http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/09/gibeau-pc-may-become-eas-biggest-platform/#more-154985

5. Bond James Bond

I can’t remember the last time i bought a “boxed” game this gen. It’s just a sign of the times. Anyway, i hate the clutter boxes cause in my household.

Also, i can’t wait to see the faces of console owners next gen when their beloved next gen system from MS/Sony will be digital only and won’t have an optical drive in sight.