Blizzard turns 20, thanks fans for support

Thursday, 3rd March 2011 22:24 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Blizzard co-founders Mike Morhaime and Frank Pearce have a very special message for you, delivered through the break in video form.

The Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, and World of Warcraft developer is celebrating twenty years in the business this week, and knows very well who it has to thank for that.

Morhaime and Pearce founded Blizzard in 1991 along with fellow recent UCLA graduate, Allen Adham.

Originally called Silicon and Synapse, the now world-conquering studio had its first major hit in 1994 with Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, although the earlier platform puzzler The Lost Vikings holds fond memories.

You ought to know what happened next.

1. Heinekeno

Yeah! Congrats!

2. Goffee

Thanks for Diablo II, I want about three years worth of lunchtimes back!

3. DeathJynx

This should have been a DIII anoucement ;)

4. theevilaires

I love how they try to dress up like they’re poor programmers or something making $25,000-$30,000 a year. These fuckers are filthy rich and you’re telling me the only thing you could do for your 20th anniversary was make a thank you video to all the fans that made you what you are today!!!?

KISS MY ASS! Give away free stuff you cheap bastards. The video wasn’t even a min long.

The guy with the orange shit: Thank you Thank you Thank you with you guys we couldn’t do what we are doing like jet skiing in maui, spoiling our kids to be brats like the jersey shore cast, buying our wives that ridiculous minx coat she doesn’t need. Keep giving us your hard earned money by wasting your lives building a fake avatar character that means nothing in life and we’ll make a thank you video every 20 years saying absolutely bullshit while having a sinister almost grin like smile while making this less than 1 min dialogue thank you video.

Seriously…………just a video. You guys are responsible for wasting 20 years of some peoples lives out there at least make all your online subscription games free for a month to really give something back (and that’s a small ass giving back compared to what these sheep in WOW have been paying you) to the people who made you filthy rich.

5. Erthazus

You know, i don’t agree always with TEA, but if i wanted to say soomething here it is…

After Ok SCII and WOw milking i want to say what TEA said now.

6. Callum

Sounds like the above people are jealous a tad!

Well done blizz for lasting so long in such an unstable market. Let’s hope Diablo 3 is everything we hope it is!!!

7. DSB

Wow TEA, you can tell how much they paid for those clothes?

Talk about queer eye for the games developer.

I fail to see how being rich leads to an improved fashion sense, though.

I think it’s just a tad sad to heckle a developer for being succesful. Especially since that succes came from making consistently great games, that happen to bring them a proverbial fountain of cash. Last time I checked no AAA-developers sported the lifestyle of franciscan monks living off the neighbouring villages humble offerings.

Bitchslapping aside though, I’ll be extremely disappointed if Blizzard don’t dig into their catalogue and rerelease some goodies.

8. theevilaires

Ah callum the typical industry ass kisser we all know you are. So predictable you’ve become.

DSB I’m not making fun of his choice of clothes you idiot. I’m making fun of how he’s sitting there pretending like he gives a fuck about the fans. A minute video doesn’t show appreciation at all. Its more of a bitch slap in the face to all those WOW losers out there. I can tell you and Callum are two conservative dicks waiting to fuck each other in the ass one day for sure.

So heres how I would have handled it if I were that doucebag CEO. First the fucking video wouldn’t be 1 min and 49 sec long with 50sec of that video being dialogue. It would have been 20 min long for a 20 year anniversary reminiscing on where they came from until now while thanking and appreciating the hardcore fans every min of that 20 min thank you video. For the awesome support by the community I would have gave all those people who supported the company from the beginning with a full free year subscription of WOW or something with intermediate and new comers with some free download content that would have rocked.

Most companies these days dream to make it to 20 years of being in business and going strong. WOW got popular by word of mouth from consumer to consumer and Blizzard owe it to these guys for making them multi millionaires. Instead they come sitting on stools and insult people’s intelligence and dignity with a fucking 1min and 49 sec video. Mother fucker are you that blind to follow bullshit people like that. Look at the guy with the orange shit as he’s talking its like he wants to laugh at all the WOW sheep so hard because he can’t believe all you dumb fucks sit there and make him rich. Thats what he’s thankful for.

He doesn’t give a shit about all those people who have died over this game. Koreans sitting at their computers starving and dying over shit like that. Thats what he’s thankful for. It has nothing to do with being jealous of how much money he has over me because my most precious value on this earth is my daughter not money you shit head Callum. This guy just made a fucking mockery of all the people who made him what he is today and all he could give back in return after 20 years is a fucking 1min 49sec video……LMAO you dumb fuck Callum I can’t stand people like you who worship and believe a guy like Bobby Kotick,the CEO of Blizzard, or any head of a company actually give a shit because he said thank you in a fucking video thats less than 2min long.

Action speaks louder than words and this gazillionaire could have at least done something more special for his fans who have made his life so luxurious for the past 20 years. He’s a bullshitter and I hate all bullshitters and I will call them out no matter what company they represent even SONY. Do the right thing Mr. Blizzard CEO and treat your hardcore die hard fans with dignity and respect and give them something better than a 1min49sec video.

9. silk

Woah, that’s what I call a rant :D

I’m with you on the grounds that they should really be giving stuff out to their fans. Who knows, maybe they will, though I’ve not seen anything in WoW/SC yet.

A free years subscription for people who have supported them from the start.. well, it’s not really plausible. Firstly how would you identify them, and secondly, it is a company with employees (who probably earn no more than any other developer/tester/customer support etc.) that need to be paid. So free subscription time would be a no-no really.

I’d be happy for an ingame pet or something, or even a £10 voucher for the Blizzard store. But, I don’t expect anything. Sadly Blizzard do seem to be getting a bit “tight” lately; their last anniversary in wow was the first time they didn’t give out a free pet, instead offered some for sale on the store. THAT pissed me off, and if they get too greedy they will start driving loyal fans away by the droves. Nobody likes their favorite company turning greedy or dare I say it.. corrupt.

10. Hcw87

Why are there so many random losers like aires in here? Seriously, moderate this shit allready.

11. OlderGamer

It is what it is.

12. OrbitMonkey

This shows the real difference between Western & Japanese developers. If WoW had been made by Square Enix say, the video would be 10 mins long at least & full of attractive young ladies wearing skimpy cosplay. Proper *fan* service.