Dark Souls world to be one and a half times that of Demon’s Souls

Thursday, 24th February 2011 05:48 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki has said the spiritual successor to Demon’s Souls will sport a map at least half again as large as its forerunner.

“For simplicity of explanation, as compared to Demon’s Souls, the map will be approximately 1.5 times the size,” Miyazaki told 1UP.

“It may feel even bigger to the players.”

The director said the maps would sport small, non-essential areas to reward players who explore, and while there would be no formal side quest system, there would be goals outside the main storyline.

“We will implement small events to encourage players to create their own mini objectives,” he said.

Miyazaki also commented that the game’s story would be communicated in a similar low-key fashion to Demon’s Souls largely embedded narrative.

“I wanted to create a game where, ideally, the player’s game play would, ‘become a story in itself’”, he said.

“Hence, there is little difference in terms of approach to the concept of a story from Demon’s Souls.”

1. Rosseu

Oh yeah!

2. Rosseu

Hope the game won’t let the quit after dying (then continue in the nearest area as if you didn’t die), as I kept abusing that in Demon’s Souls.

3. Panipal2005

@2 People ended up with corrupted save files after doing that though…not something you want to try with this one either.

4. Rosseu

nah, I never got corrupted save doing that and I did that hundreds of times. I dont even wait for the gameover message, as soon as I fall of a cliff or something or die, I immediately press PS button then home. Somehow that trick saved my controller from being thrown to the wall lol.

5. Gadzooks!

Stop talking and get back to your workstation Miyazaki!

There’s no need to do PR as we’re all going to buy it so just get it out as fast as you can! :)

6. ManuOtaku

than means i will die 1.5 more times than in the first…..