CryEngine among others listed as compatible engines for NGP

Saturday, 19th February 2011 21:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Crytek has revealed that its CryEngine suite is compatible with NGP.

According to PushSquare, the news was announced via an SCE press-release which lists engines and middle-ware which are compatible with the upcoming handheld.

Here’s the list, some of which has already been announced:

Game Engines

• CRI Middleware
  • Firelight Technologies
  • RAD Game Tools

User Interface

• AiLive
  • Scaleform

NGP is expected sometime later this year.

1. gomersoul

holy moly, maybe this is gonna be as good as it looks. eyebrows raised…

2. Dannybuoy

There’s some power under that there hood

3. Braders06

Well, I am well and truly interested in this machine now, if it can deliver and utilise these engines effectively. then it is a definite first day buy for me!! (actually i was sold the moment they showed the two analog sticks and uncharted playing on it)

4. Erthazus

Crysis on that thing?

BLOW me away Crytek please and i will buy it DAY ONE.

5. Crysis

I’m not blowing anything!

6. frostquake

Now Show what can run on the 3DS…LOL. Sorry had to get a jab in there!

7. Uncontested

Extra extra! 3DS reporting ninetendo 64 power. Wiitards amazed and flock to buy garbage!

/sarcasm

8. Crysis

Well at least we know for 100% that the NGP is more powerful than the wii… Can the Wii even handle the Unreal Engine 3?

9. back_up

3ds is a failures with last gen graphics
    NGP is the true powerful handheld

10. russdude13

@7 Lol
    The more I see this thing, the more I can’t wait. Let’s hope Sony don’t dissapoint us at E3 this year with another “599 US Dollars!”

11. Erthazus

“Can the Wii even handle the Unreal Engine 3?”

Nope, but it can run UE 2.0

12. monkeygourmet

This is crazy… People are still comparing the 3DS to the NGP for power… Look at the Wii compared to the PS3, look how that turned out. (i know amount of sales don’t always indicate the best product, but from a marketing point of view) The NGP isn’t even out for a year yet, by that time people will have got much more used to seeing graphics of this level on portable devices, albeit without dual analog sticks. Why would you want to play through some epic FPS or action game on a portable device, the amount of cutscenes and gameplay elements that these kind of games contain just don’t suit themselves to that kind of medium. Unless you play sitting at home which pretty much defeats the point. I admit the NGP is impresive on a graphical level, but to say the 3DS looks outdated is crazy. Games will look great on the 3DS, thats a fact. Also, lacking quite the graphical oomph the NGP has will hopefully force developers to come up with better artwork to hide any cracks the system may have. People seem to forget that the PSP released with mind blowing visuals compared to the DS and the novelty soon wears off. I really think the main thing the NGP has going for it too boost sales is the inevitable Call of Duty game that will come out for it, and that makes me very sad. I think Nintendo knew that Sony were going to have to put a premium price on this machine and priced the 3DS accordingly. The 3DS is very expensive for a Nintendo console/Hand held and i think it was a “your move now” gesture to Sony. Sony are going to have to sell this thing at £250 or less to gain a good share of the market, which means selling at a loss, again not great for Sony’s profits. By the time this release’s i assume Nintendo will have Mario et all ready for release, a batch of new 3DS colours and maybe a price cut to £160 or there abouts which will be very hard to combat…

13. monkeygourmet

14. Len

Does sound impressive with some great engines there but I’m really excited about the 3DS as well, can’t we just have both…?

The thought of playing OOT and Pilot Wings in 3D really intrigues me, is it realy that good, I can’t wait to find out…? I’m definitely getting one next month and will wait and see for pricing on the NGP which as stated above is well over a year away anyway.

15. The_Red

NaturalMotion… yummy :)

16. 2plus2equals5

Totally indifferent to crysis games, but this is an awesome news!
    Ailive worked for wii m+ and move!

17. Mike

Have we learned nothing? Power means bugger all. It doesn’t equal quality games. It never has, and I doubt it ever will.

18. Gekidami

^ The fact that the highest rated games this gen also tend to be the best looking says otherwise.

Theres no rule that states a game can only have good visuals or good gameplay but not both. Despite a good number of people believing tihs for no apparent reason.

19. Madlink

@ Gekidami
    I don’t think that’s what Mike is saying actually. He was arguing that simply having a powerful machine does not guarantee great games.

Obviously, there are benefits of having more power from a developers viewpoint, but it does not mean that their game designs will automatically be good.

I think we could all agree that great design > great visuals. When they come together, it’s all gravy.

20. Crysis

@17, But with more power it opens the gateway to new experiences, the NGP can do exactly everything the 3DS can do minus the 3D effect, want quick & easy pick up put down games, just browse through the PSstore (& the upcoming PSsuite), you can find 100s, the point I’m making is that the 3DS isn’t a Next Generation Portable, it’s a slightly beefed up current generation portable with a fad to make it seem fresh, same happened with the Wii, then we’ll be experiencing countless remakes because of how limited the hardware is to new experiences.

21. monkeygourmet

What constitutes “Next Gen”? with the NGP, it’s just a graphical, AI and Physics upgrade. The most “next gen” feature of the NGP for me is the front and reverse touchscreen and maybe some of the augmented reality features it will be capable of. The Next Generation Portable name is just a buzz word from Sony to steal some of the 3DS’s momentum, same as they did with the PS3 launch: “Next gen starts when WE say so…” What did they offer that was new? Bluray, a format they were pimping for their own reasons. No doubt the NGP will have some great games but i really don’t see it as a huge step up from what we have seen before. I for one am more intrigued with the possibilities of the 3DS purely to see what Nintendo can come up with on the console. Yes, the NGP can play smaller appstore-like games, but for a device thats going to be sold at a premium price, that seems to be missing the point somewhat. The NGP’s main selling point will be: Play PS3 quality games on the go, Amazing Next Gen graphics!!! whilst the 3DS’s will be: 3D without glasses!!! I think most consumers will see the 3DS as more of a “next gen” system because of the unique way it offers 3D viewing.

22. Mike

There’s been more innovation on Wii/DS this gen than any other console.

23. Mike

#20: What is the games on the PStore aren’ very good? (which they aren’t – bar a v. small few). And just because a first-party games “looks” amazing, doesn’t mean it will be. Graphics and detail are a minor part of the experience. Something almost every PS3 exclusive seems to miss.

24. Crysis

When I say next gen, I’m talking purely technologically, Sony is going forwards above the current standards in hardware with the NGP, while Nintendo is going sideways with the addition of some gimmick, your personal preference in software has nothing to do with evolution, especially considering that over half the best games on the system are likely to be remakes.

25. earlyrock

Actually, this time around Sony seem to be doing it right. PSP was beefy, but had nothing on the social, or pick up and play side of things to appeal to casual gamers.

This time round we’re looking at a VERY powerful hand-held, but with the infrastructure of PSN for the social side, plus the easy to use touch interface which put together opens the whole system up to almost any player.

Sony have learned since 2004. Losing money and market share makes you learn quick. You’re mad if you think its just another PSP replay.

26. DaMan

Aside from the needlessly beefy visuals, everything it offers can already be found on competitors’ platforms, be it Nintendo or Apple. Besides, the emphasis is clearly on exactly the same stuff as with it’s predecessor (home console like experience and visuals), which makes it that, ‘another PSP’..

27. monkeygourmet

Im not saying it’s going to be another repeat of the PSP exactly, it’s just to me, the NGP doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be… On one hand it’s a graphical powerhouse, on the other it has a socially focused front end. The two don’t quite fit together for me, people who want to have easy access to small games and apps probebly can already use there andriod / iPhone for that and the price point is sure to scare off the casual gamers. This machine seems like a luxary type of device for graphics whores and some kind of way Sony can bleed some more years out of the PS3 by combining the two devices into 1 strategy. This could be good marketing, but i’ve always enjoyed the seperation hand held devices can offer. I loved playing different types of games on my DS compared to the Wii. I really loved my PSP but after it became full of PS2 ports, i just used it for emulation (which it was a fantastic device for). After hearing comments that Sony was camparing this device to an iPad style of luxary device, i dread to hear what the final price point is. No handheld, no matter how powerful is worth over £200 to most shoppers, Sony are going to have to deliver on a good price as by the time the NGP is released you will prob be able to buy a second hand Xbox 360, PS3 and PSP 3000 and a few games for about £275…, alot more bang for ya buck!

28. OlderGamer

Gonna bug some folks. So here is some advice.

Hit the enter/return key twice to make paragraphs. I had the same trouble when I first started posting here. Such a simple thing, but it makes a huge difference.

It reduces the wall of text feel to your posts.

29. monkeygourmet

Will do :) how do you feel about some of the points i raised? The price point for the NGP is still the “elephant in the room” for me… Im very intrested in how Sony are going to pitch it.

30. 2plus2equals5

I really don’t understand, 3d apart psp2 can do everything 3ds can do(yes, even without the second screen) plus a lot of other things with better graphics and we are still here discussing…
    Do you like nintendo games and/or 3d? Buy 3ds and don’t criticize the psp2.

31. 2plus2equals5

Obviously i was referring on games’ originality.

32. DSB

It’s pretty pointless to argue in favor of either console right now. It’s going to come down to which of the two offers the most rewarding software at the most acceptable price.

I’m more thrilled by the NGPs controls than the hardware, but at the same time I’m weary of Sony. They aren’t exactly known for being dynamic and adaptable, and while portable consoles are obviously the future in one way or another, I think it’s a fools errand to make a tiny console that wants to work in the same way as the big boys.

Maybe if you could hook it up to any bigger screen and get a great experience from that (I think that’s where we’re headed before long) but personally, I say fuck playing Crysis 2 on a 5 inch monitor :P

Hopefully the new control interface will inspire developers to make some simpler but more stimulating handheld games. Rather than disappointing console-lite titles.

33. lexph3re

I think a lot of people are confused on what ngp wants to be. I don’t think its confused at all on what its aiming for. I also still want to know what ps2 games people claim were on the psp? I definetly don’t see it. There’s games that reached out to wii, ps2, and psp that had identical builds like force unleased, or the lego star wars. Hell the syphon filter for ps2 was orinally psp only. Phantasy stars on psp were original and sequels to the universe series. Honestly, the psp holds more originality then most people give it credit for.

Ngp will release 250 without 3g and more then likely 300 for 3g. And, if I’m wrong possibly 50 buck addition to my original price points.

34. DaMan

er, apparently what they’re talking about is how the games are, in essence, watered down console experiences..

the PSP Syphon filters were as original as the latest Call of Duty. as well Phantasy star (‘sequel’ being ‘original’ btw?)

and I agree that ultimately it comes down to which gaming library is more appealing to you.

35. Lord Gremlin

Oh crap. This may be an indication that NGP is indeed that powerful and worth buying.

36. Old MacDonald

Yeah, because console quality graphics worked so well for the original PSP.