THQ to publish Amnesia: The Dark Descent in US

Tuesday, 15th February 2011 19:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

THQ has announced it’s to publish Amnesia: The Dark Descent at retail.

Previously available as a download title only, the game sold close to 200,000 copies during its first few months of availability as a self-release from Swedish studio Frictional Games.

Retail stores in the US will be stocking it come February 22.

Amnesia originally released on September 8, 2010.

The digital version’s available on Steam for €15.

The title is a first-person horror, and uses similar physical environment interaction to Frictional’s Penumbra series. Amnesia doesn’t give players weapons, instead forcing them to flee and hide from enemies.

The dark is used as a key element in gameplay, with the player’s sanity meter rising if they stay out of the light for too long. Go mad and you start seeing things – and monsters can find you more easily.

It’s a well-rated game with at 85 on MetaCritic, as well as three nominations in this year’s IGF awards.

Thanks, IGN.

1. Erthazus

Amazing game.

Dead Space 2 sucks huge ass compare to this horror game.

2. AHA-Lambda

wow congrats to frictional for the deal and props to thq

fantastic game ^_^

3. psybass

Amnesia: The Dark Descent better than dead space 2? WTF wrong with you?

4. Jackie

wow you are super-edgy, man!

5. baps

I got this off steam last night and im about an hour into it. Ive never had a game scare me the way this one does

6. AHA-Lambda

@3 – it is and its not hard to outscare dead space -_-

DS2 still a good game mind but NOT scary AT ALL

7. psybass

AHA-Lambda@ maybe its not as scary as Amnesia, yes i agreed. but dead space 2 still way better game, you can’t say no about that!

8. AHA-Lambda

i preferred amnesia personally

i liked both games tho, i aint hating

9. psybass

AHA-Lambda@ well yes, amnesia is a good game, i liked the game, but dead space 2 wins maybe its because the game is more developed, i like graphics you know.

10. Erthazus

@psybass, Dead space 2 a better game?

Wow… 3rd person shootfestival without decent horror? Yes, it’s improved Dead Space 1. But it’s more of the same.

Amnesia is by FAR a better game. Maybe it’s just my preference…

11. Erthazus

@9 graphics are great in Dead Space 2. But horror games don’t need GRAPHICS.

12. YoungZer0

@1: Here we go again, just more prove that you fail as a human being.

13. khawaja007

Wow..such a big Publisher for Amnesia…. a very Big Congrats Frictional from my part !

14. khawaja007

oh and Dead Space 2 maybe a good shooter and maybe with a little better story BUT Amnesia is the Best Yet Survival Horror Experience of theis Lifetime !

15. Erthazus

“just more prove that you fail as a human being.”

So i can’t have an opinion!?!?!?!?!? Gosh, 17-18 year old trying to teach me. :3

16. Erthazus

“with a little better story ”

Dead Space 2 story was a little bit … How can i say… mediocre and in holywood style?

Make us Whole… -_-

17. YoungZer0

@15: So that’s what you call it, hm? Opinion? Do you ever manage to share your opinion without bashing something else? No? That’s trolling. Just look at your ridiculous comments.

“OMG Crysis is so awesome, so much better than any other shit game like COD, KILLZONE 3 AND ALL THEM SHITTY GAMES!”

“OMG, Amnesia is so awesome, unlike Dead Space 2, which sucks so much!”

That’s all you do, trolling and provoking. Nobody was talking about Dead Space 2, at all, you turd. So why did you have to bring it in? That’s spamming and trolling.

Really, you’re a fucking child, if you’re above 14 and you still behave this way, you’re an embarrassment to the human race.

18. Michael O’Connor

@17 Actually, trolling is saying something with the deliberate intent of getting a negative reaction out of other people.

Although Erthazus is far from a saint, you’re the one who came into the thread and started bashing and insulting him for simply expressing an opinion. That would technically make you the troll here.

19. YoungZer0

@18: Erm, opinion? Again, is it so difficult for him to express his opinion without bashing something else? Because i have never seen one of his comment not bashing something else. Which, like you said is most likely an intent of getting a negative reaction out of other people.

I was simply insulting him.

20. Dralen

I wouldn’t even compare the two. The only thing they have in common is they have a large element of horror, that’s it, they are not both shooters and they are not both even set in the same time frame.

“Dead Space 2″ is a SCI-Fi Horror Third person shooter, and “Amnesia” is a FP without the S and is about a London dude making his way through a castle without getting eating by monsters. It’s obvious from the start Amnesia is only about scarying the shit out of you and it does.

They appeal to two completely different target markets. If I was to compare it to anything it would be Resident Evil 5. Yeah, you might say “If I want to compare it to another horror game, I will” but then you’re just being silly, because they are just way too different in reality. You cannot compare the graphics because Amnesia is a indie title and had limited budget and resources, you cannot compare the story because one is a sci-fi shooter set in the future and the other a first person survival game set in a castle in 1839, finally you cannot even compare the gameplay because they are of two different genres (third person sci-fi action horror shooter and a first person survival game without the shooting).

21. Erthazus

“Again, is it so difficult for him to express his opinion without bashing something else?”

So i bashed someone at the first post?

“I was simply insulting him.”

Oh my… He was insulting me, what i’m going to do now… *sniff*

@Dralen, but i was just saying about a horror element. Of course they are different and for completely different market.

and yu don’t need to compare something to Resident Evil 5, because that game dissapoints in both ways. Horror or Survival action… It’s just… Meh…

22. YoungZer0

@21: Again, you’re missing the point. It’s actually becoming your trademark. You need to work on both, reading and understanding. You’re bashing something; a different game. A game which is not the topic of this article. A game which is not even really in the same Genre. No one mentioned it, until you came along, just to bash it. Why i ask? Why the need to bash it, if it’s not the topic? Trolling seems to be in your blood.

And i insulted you because that’s apparently the only language you understand.

How about you start to actually say why you do what you do? Seems like nobody in your life questioned your child-like behavior and you don’t know how to react to that. There is little difference between you and people like that “ps3sucks” guy.

23. Old MacDonald

22: There are obvious similarities between the two, just like there are obvious similarities between Resident Evil and Silent Hill. Doesn’t mean they’re the same, but it doesn’t mean they can’t be compared either.

(and “I was simply insulting him” – yeah, that’s trolling)

I’d say Amnesia is the better game, BTW. I’d love a boxed version, too bad there’s no deal for Europe yet.

24. DuckOfDestiny

I’m glad this is happening. Hopefully this will bring more exposure to the game, it sure does deserve it.

25. Dralen

Ok. If you are going to compare the Horror element, yes, Amnesia is the hand’s down winner, but you will find that most of the people that play Dead Space 2 just won’t touch Amnesia. Why? Because it’s just too fucking scary for them. Most of my friend gamers are console gamers unfortunately, I only have a few that are PC gamers and even though I’ve said that it’s a brilliant game and I even showed them how scary it is, they won’t buy it (Pussys, lol). It just really isn’t for everyone.

I did manage to play it all the way through, and I would say it’s one of the best and most innovative games of the year. However, I only managed to complete it because I had the lights on and my TV on in the background. Fucking scariest form of entertainment I’ve ever witnessed.

PS. If they want real exposure for it, they should bring it to PSN and Arcade. I would really like my console gamer friends to experience a real game :P.

26. back_up

Lame move by THQ
    PC gamers are pirates
    Deadspace2 is best and PS3 version is the best in the world

27. YoungZer0

@23: Erm, no it isn’t.

28. StolenGlory

@27 You’re wasting your time here.

29. Blerk

I’d very much like to play this but I’m not sure my PC can handle it. A console conversion would be a most excellent development.

30. YoungZer0

@28: Appearently, it just boggles my mind how people seems to accept such a huge troll in here instead of questioning his child-like behaviour. And now i’m the bad guy because i’m trolling the troll.