Rumor: Activision looking to buy Take-Two [Updated]

Monday, 14th February 2011 22:07 GMT By Nathan Grayson

Update: An Activision rep, unsurprisingly, replied to us with a quick, no frills “Activision doesn’t comment on industry rumor and speculation.” As always, we’ll fall back on an old cliche: that’s not a “no.”

Original Story: “Saw it coming.”

Said the man who got blindsided by a speeding train.

According to a senior executive who spoke with MCV, Activision’s not letting the death of multiple major franchises and the resultant lay-offs get it down. Nope, it’s time for a shopping spree! The target? The entirety of Take-Two Interactive.

“There are very strong rumours amongst people at a very senior level within the global business,” the unnamed executive said.

“But there’re not much more than that at the moment – they are just rumours. And, of course, given Activision’s news this week, everyone is now looking to see what their next move is. But you can definitely put two and two together and make four-ish.”

This, of course, wouldn’t be the first time Activision’s unhinged its jaw and gobbled up a giant. It became one with Blizzard back in 2008 – a move with which both parties have been vocally pleased.

Of course, the last time someone loved Take-Two some much that they tried to put a ring on it, well, things didn’t go so well. EA offered more than the company was actually worth, and it still wouldn’t budge.

We’ve contacted both parties to see if there’s any truth at all to the claim. We’ll let you know as soon as we hear back.

1. Uncontested

Activision can go fuck themselves. If this happens I hope Rockstar has some kind of clause in there saying they can get the fuck out.

2. Crysis

It’s officially confirmed, the ActiVision of today is the Electronic Arts of yesterday, they failed their attempt at acquiring Take Two & I hope that ActiVision does too.
    I love Rockstar’s business model of taking time to release AAA games rather than flooding the market with mediocre updates, IMO, 2 years minimum before releasing a full fledged sequel.
    IMHO, yearly franchises (i.e. WWE, FIFA, CoD) should be released at a lower price but as long as they keep selling like they do that will never happen :(

3. DEADEYES

@1: They just want big money with big products, dude! They don’t care like us, gamers! Fuking Activision! They kill my beloved Infinity Ward with COD series! I hate fuking Treyarch now! Wonder why does people buy a lot of COD:BO from them?

4. osric90

Activision = Shit.

5. Crysis

@3, Don’t hate the player, hate the game.
    In other words, don’t hate Treyarch for the products ActiVision force them to make, they have some truly talented guys there but they’re only famous for ripping off Infinity Ward, it’s not their fault, as I said-blame ActiVision.

6. back_up

it will not happen
    EA was also trying to do same few years ago and they failed

7. metamorphic

This will be the worst news imaginable. You will fail, Kodick!

8. spangar11

yeah that better not happen..those games are so good, but of course activision is on their quest to ruin every good game in the world

9. Yoshi

If this happens and they buy Take-Two, this will be like 2012 end of the world stuff but in gaming form :(

10. darksied

Oh boy, this truly sucks. Imagine if Activision does succeed in buying them. You will see a Bioshock, GTA, Elder Scrolls, and maybe even a Red Read EVERY SINGLE YEAR until people are sick of them and Activision shuts the dev houses down. This can NOT be allowed to happen (I know that’s a bit melodramatic, but it’s true; activision will go for the very quick buck to the exclusion of all else).

11. Crysis

Elder Scrolls? That’s Bethesda, nothing to do with Take Two or ActiVision-Blizzard…

12. mark82

Surely Take Two are one of the biggest players in the market as far as publishers go, if they don’t want to be bought out they won’t be.
    They have some of the biggest most successful games on the market. #10 by the way dude Elder scrolls is published by Bethesda not Take Two :-)

13. mark82

lol You beat me to it Crysis!!

14. NeoSquall

@1 I agree with you

15. Zurtech

REALLY hope that’s not true, sure might be nice for their stockholders, but means the industry is gonna get screwed.

One thing I’ve NEVER understood with Activision, surely they can’t be THAT blind to know they’re prolly THE most despised publisher in the industry… so why not.. you know like try to improve their image and be a proper publisher instead of some souless leeching yuppie money hungry corporation that doesn’t give a monkey’s about the industry it’s in and only wants to pad out their wallets at the expense of the developers they got their grubby mits on.

16. darksied

Yeah, you’re right, Take-two just published Elder Scrolls 4 games, Bethesda owns them, I believe. But the rest … hopefully this is not true.

17. Ercarret

I would be very surprised if this actually happened. Take-Two said no when EA asked, despite things being a bit shaky and no one knowing if they were more than just GTA. Now, however, they’ve proved that they are. They are in a much better place now, things are going well, and if they didn’t think they needed EA back in 2008 I doubt that they need Activision today.

On the other hand – it’s Activision. I may not like some of the decisions they make, but there’s no denying they’re excellent businessmen. I no longer get surprised when they get what they want.

18. Erthazus

It’s not going to happen. EA tried to but them for 2 billion, but now after Take Two have Red Dead Redemption and few other great franchises…

19. TheWulf

I hope not. I tend to not buy Actard games at all these days, too much ill will there. I do, however, find that I buy Take Two games.

Stay classy, Take Two. Don’t get bought out by these chumps.

20. Dralen

They didn’t sell to EA and they won’t sell to Activision, especially since they are still doing amazingly well as a publisher.

21. Dralen

“It would also help expand Activision’s narrowing stable of franchises, which – in addition to heavy hitters like Call of Duty, Warcraft, and StarCraft – includes Prototype, Spider-Man, X-Men, and James Bond.”

You know what would help with that Activision? If you made some new IP’s and not steal other Publishers games!!

22. dandan123

LOL omg hope they dont then it will be Grand Theft Auto like Call of Duty games…..

23. scuz

Sigh.

24. Hazzarington

Laughed so hard at that train joke.

25. Old MacDonald

What a tragedy.

26. Psychotext

People keep mentioning the attempted EA buyout, but Take-Two are worth a shitload less now than they were when EA tried to buy them out. To be exact… EA’s original offer was $25.74 a share, and Take Two’s share price is now a comparatively amusing $15.82 a share with a market cap around $1.35bn. Still, it’s not as bad as the sub $7 value they had twp years ago.

The shareholders (the only people that really matter in a buyout attempt) would kill for an offer the size of the original EA one ($2bn) now.

27. rainer

Activision will tear apart 2K if they get their hands on them the only things left will be Rockstar GTA everything else will be canned.

I cant imagine the Housers liking the idea of working for Activision so I would expect them to put up a fight.

28. Nissanthen

I hope this doesn’t happen, I would rather see them go to EA.

29. Monk

Oh, the humanity :(

30. NightCrawler1970

@1 HELL YA, Acti keep ya damn hands of them… Go smoke more weed!!! i think RockStar is way to smart to say, sure man, we will join —-> IN YA DREAMS :P whahhahahaa acti are nothing but a bunch pot-smokers wankers!!!

31. Bikki

NOOOOO if this happens they will fuck Rockstar games. This cannot happen.

32. freedoms_stain

I’d be worried if I worked at TT right now. Your jobs are about to become very disposable.

33. redder1111

dear kotick, it’s absolutely clear that you can’t do it … Face Fuck! go fuck yourself with a dragon-breath shotgun and shot the FUCK up you shit head!

34. DSB

While the emphasis should be on the word rumours, it would be the logical step to acquire some developers of this magnitude after jettisoning their lesser studios.

Take Two does releases in much the same way as Activision, only without all the mediocre studios hanging around.

And if you’re looking for more righteous indignation, let’s think of the time Take Two shut down Talonsoft. That shit still makes me a righteously indignant panda.

If it’s true, I think Kotick was being more than a little modest when he said they were going conservative.

35. Unlimax

Justin bieber = Activision !!?

36. LOLshock94

didnt take 2 have a really good year last year? so what are the chances of take2 accepting?

37. LePlatypus

It would be stupid for TT to do this. Looking at their metascore only shows that they are gaining momentum as one of the large publishers. With companies like R* and Gearbox whom have lots of talent making games for them they shouldn’t become part of the Activision Mafia.

38. Erthazus

I hope taht this is not going to happen.

I think it won’t happen. EA tried to buy it for 2 billion. They failed.
    Take Two now cost more because of so much successfull titles, not to mention about UPCOMING Agent, LA.Noir.

So thats bullshit.

39. Psychotext

“Take Two now cost more”

See post 26. Take Two are now worth about a third less than they were when EA tried to buy them.

40. Bellisner

For the sake of clarity Take-Two and 2K are one and the same; they both trade in the NASDAQ as TTWO. So outside of the obvious stables such as GTA and Bioshock other big names are up for grabs like Borderlands, NBA2k, Max Payne and frighteningly my beloved Civilisation series.
    Now I see what Activision is doing here they are putting all their eggs in one basket; namely Blizzard. (COD too but I’ll get to that in a moment.)
    Blizzard are unlikely to release a title this year their revenues for 2011 will be sustained by WOW subscriptions and I suspect something of a drop off, nothing much mind but enough to hit their share price. I predict strong sales this year on COD on reputation alone but I suspect little in the way of innovation, I enjoyed Black Ops but it was hardly a quantum leap over MW2 people will buy COD in December but I fear the scales will be lifted from everyone’s eyes and the Emperor is standing there buck naked. As such the 2012 COD incarnation will take a hit at the tills.
    Now the smart move is to gobble up another publisher and T2 is certainty a hearty yet manageable meal. For the record I’m not an Activision hater per-se but having less publishers will leave certain franchises -which however well loved by fans and well received by critics alike don’t post astronomical sales figures (hence my earlier trepidation for Civ) I don’t think it’s in anyone’s interest’s save Activision for T2 to cash in their chips, they have a healthy portfolio with titles like LA Noire, Xcom and Bioshock Infinite in the works to sustain them in the short and medium term. For them to sell will weaken the industry as a whole- so much so- it may come to resemble the movie industry even more.

41. DaMan

expect a GTA game a year, before people finally become sick of them and Kotick shuts T2 down.