Report: Bizarre Creations will close on Friday

Monday, 14th February 2011 18:15 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Develop’s reporting that UK developer Bizarre Creations will cease to exist this Friday, February 18.

In a lengthy obituary to the outfit, the site notes that Bizarre made around 20 games over 15 years, growing to around 200 staff at its peak.

The studio officially formed in 1994 under the Bizarre Creations brand, but was actually formed by owner Martyn Chudley in 1988.

Activision confirmed last November that Bizarre staff had entered the consultancy period required by UK law to close a company.

The company said it was seeking a buyer for the firm at the time, and accused naysayers of “wallowing in the worst possible outcome” on the issue.

Several buyers were reportedly interested in the developer, but news came last month that Activision has recommended closure.

Bizarre Creations will be most fondly known for the Metropolis Street Racer series. It sold to Activision in 2007.

To the Liverpool massive: we salute you.

1. Mr Tom

BC will be missed.

2. Erthazus

Thats actually awesome.

Now MS, Sony or EA can hire some devs for future games.

3. mortiferus

Wow, though I am sad to see them go, I must say that they dug their own grave.

4. Kalain

Gutted for these guys as I actually know some people who work there. They are a very talented and skilled bunch of people, pity the publisher didn’t support them as much as they could’ve.

Hoping that they don’t get sucked into Sony Liverpool to forever make Wipeout games….

5. LOLshock94

FUCK OFF THIS IS A JOKE

6. xino

what games did they make?

that is bad news man:/

7. Razor

Sad times.

8. Fin

@Erthazus

Normally I give you crap for spouting bullshit, but jesus are you that much of an asshole? This isn’t remotely approaching “awesome”. Even if every single developer was hired back into the industry (which is unlikely), Bizarre would still cease to exist.

Seriously, grow the fuck up.

9. Johnny Cullen

@6 Formula One 97, Project Gotham Racing, Blur to name a few.

10. DSB

PGR was an amazing series. It’s a shame they didn’t stick with what they knew.

11. Golden

Goodbye Bizarre Creations. I have played and enjoyed pretty much most of your creations.
    The company will be remembered forever fondly and I wish all the dudes and dudettes the very best for the future.

12. Psychotext

@9: You forget one of the downloadable games of the generation. Geometry Wars 2.

13. YoungZer0

@9: You forgot James Bond: Blood Stone and The Club.

14. Tallon 4

Flabbergasted….This cannot be happening :/
    I mean…this guys were regarded as one of the best developers for great racing games! They really will be missed.

What a shame that BLUR did not get the sales it deserved, it could have saved the studio.

15. loki

I will always remember PGR. THX guys for one of best racing game series. You made the greatest mistake sold out to Acti and start sux after what

16. Johnny Cullen

@PT, YoungZero I did say “to name a few” :)

17. Erthazus

@8, i’m sorry, i could care less about shitty games like James bond or Blur that was made my theese creators.

GROW THE FUCK UP!

18. Prof.Dr.Moertel

geez…. that´s bad :(

19. OwningXylophone

But nobody has mentioned their greatest work, Wiz ‘n’ Liz on the Megadrive & Amiga. That game was awesome and is as much fun today as it was back when I was 12.

Here’s to hoping Mr. Chudley and co. find great new jobs and churn out some great new games just to show Activision what they could have had.

20. albo88

R.I.P PGR well it was not on levels of Forza or GT but it was a good game

21. LOLshock94

@10 if they stuck to making pgr then all you faggits will complain about milfing a series you whinnie cock heads

22. Epic Fool

Wow, they made Wiz ‘n’ Liz? Didn’t know that, thought MSR was their first game… Kind of sad this, I enjoyed quite a few of their games.

23. Michael O’Connor

This is what happens when you work for Activision and don’t work on the Call of Duty franchise.

24. LOLshock94

no thats what happens when all you bitches cry about a game being made by activation

25. Michael O’Connor

This guys rank up there as one of my favourite all time developers.

They created of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had. I lost half my life to Wiz’n'Liz, and Metropolis Street Racer was one the racing games that was a major driving (bad pun, sorry) forces in seeing them shift from sterile car simulator less than realistic arcade racers, probably one of the best things to ever happen to the genre.

And hey… Geometry Wars! ’nuff said.

26. OrbitMonkey

/salutes the fallen *cracks open beer* To the future guys…

27. xxJPRACERxx

FUCK YOU Activision! R.I.P Bizarre :~(

28. Kalain

Why don’t some of your guys go out there and make a game on par with what BC did?

Sorry, but they did make great games but were let down by their publisher for not advertising their games enough..

29. Blerk