Bioware: World of Warcraft established the MMO standards

Thursday, 10th February 2011 05:42 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Speaking at the DICE summit in Las Vegas yesterday, BioWare’s Greg Zeschuk said World of warcraft is the “touchstone” for MMOs, and that the developer’s own offering, Star Wars: The Old Republic, looks to it for “standards”.

“It is a touchstone,” Zeschuk said of WoW, according to GamesIndustry. “It has established standards, it’s established how you play an MMO.

“Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that’s pretty dumb.

“If you have established standards, WoW established them.”

After commenting that triple-A development is still a viable approach to gaming, Zeschuk conceded that The Old Republic is not expected to be a WoW-killer.

“It’s not like we’re actually going out there to beat anyone, we’re going out to place,” he said. “The audience will tell us if we have a place.”

Blizzard’s Mike Morhaime attended the same panel, and commented that failed MMOs do more harm than good for WoW itself.

“I don’t know that it serves the genre very well when MMOs come out and have all sorts of problems and players leave in frustration,” Morhaime said.

“Hopefully, new players will come in, experience it for the first time and find out that maybe they’re fans of the genre. If they get frustrated and leave maybe they won’t give the genre a try at all.

“So, do a good job,” he urged BioWare.

1. back_up

well
    everything from blizzard is quality standard

2. Dralen

Blizzard and Bioware are probably my two favourite developers, just because the quality of their final product is always the best. The Old Republic is my most anticipated game of this year.

3. blackdreamhunk

kotor and gild wars 2 are going to the must cutting edge games. If anyone can make a mmo it would be bio-ware they do know how to make rpg’s

4. StolenGlory

The only MMO that will “beat” World of Warcraft will be another Blizzard MMO.

5. GwynbleiddiuM

@2 same here, although I was really expecting them to build a Mass Effect mmo, I had my fair share of StarWars nonsense over the years. Mass Effect MMO 8-> …

6. OlderGamer

SWToR is not going to make it. It should do alright, but after the initial wave it will have a hard time maintaning anything beyond the Sheldons of the world. Despite being a SW games I believe it lacks mainstream appeal.

Imo, I believe that GWII will far much better. Based not on GW being a household name, but because it is free. That means that players can play when they want, as much or as little as they want w/o the commitment from subscriptions and w/o felling like half of the game is locked out because its F2P and requires a series of Microtransactions to use.

Personialy, I have already found my WoW killer.

Rift.

I was blown away with Rift, so many things done right. And it still maintans that easy to pick up feel that wow has. I have 6 months of Rift prepaid for and can’t wait for it to launch. Just as a nod tho, i don’t expect Rift to kill wow either.

The one thing that will kill wow is hacking and account theft. That is what drove me away. We constantly lose our two accounts(and we haven’t played in a year). I finaly wrote a letter to blizz and demanded they send us(free of charge) authenticators. Why should I pay extra to increase THEIR security. And no i don’t buy into the idea that all of the players are comprimising the accounts. You can hack wow with a notepad. Anyways, i have my battle.net authenticated and am trying to get blizz to physicly remove/destroy the game from my accounts.

Of course they don’t wanna do that, but they will.