EEDAR posits $299-$349 price tag for WiFi NGP model

Friday, 4th February 2011 01:05 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Industry analyst EEDAR thinks it has the answer to the most burning question of the portable console wars: how much for Sony’s NGP?

Sony’s NGP

“PSP2″ in all but name.

Announced in Tokyo last month.

Releasing in Japan this year, with global ship “unlikely”.

No pricing announced for any territory.

Q&A – NGP

Joystiq reports that the firm believes the 3G-less, WiFi-only SKU will retail in the US at between $299 and $349 “but not to exceed $399″, and that games will go for $40 to $50.

After warning that third-party publisher support will be key to the handheld’s success, EEDAR predicts that the NGP will “handsomely surpass sales of its predecessor, the PSP”.

Unsurprisingly, EEDAR believes the more expensive, 3G-equipped model will prove more successful in Europe and Asia, where mobile Internet is often cheaper and more reliable than in other territories.

At what cost?

Price has been the burning question surrounding the machine since it was revealed in Tokyo at the end of January, with no retail cost being announced alongside the machine.

“It’s not going to be $599,” Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida told Game Informer at the event, referencing Kaz Hirai’s classic PS3 pricing reveal at E3 2006.

“From the very beginning of the project — since 2008 — pricing was one of the considerations that we had. Hopefully when we announce the price, people will see the proper value.”

SCEE president Andrew House was also keen to impress that the handheld will not have an excessive price tag.

NGP revealed in Tokyo.

“I can’t put a ballpark on it in terms of figures, but what I would say is that we will shoot for an affordable price that’s appropriate for the handheld gaming space,” he told Eurogamer in Tokyo.

House denied at the time, though, that Sony was prepared to make a loss on the hardware.

“Really we would want to have our hardware be profitable, in addition to our software,” House said. “We’ve experienced both sides and we know which one we like to be on.”

NGP releases in Japan this year. No western date’s been confirmed, but Sony’s said a global ship is unlikely.

[image]

1. Erthazus

If this is going to be the price, then sorry, it’s going to be Nintendo > Sony all over again.

2. Bloodyghost

@1 It would probably be that way even if it was just 50 dollars more.

3. Hunam

It seems like this is the case. If it was a reasonable price they’d have announced it already.

4. lexph3re

Its reasonable to me, I’m going with the 3g. My portable life has been becoming more relevant then my home gaming since I’m always at work. To me whatever the default price of the wifi sku is I’m sure the 3g one will be 50$ more so ill buckle down and get that one. The 3g sold this console for me

5. Crysis

At $299 USD I would hell get this, although it’d likely be $400-450 AUD despite the fact the currency is the same :’( Hell I’ll just order it from overseas, hoping that none of it’s games (or services) are region locked.

6. Crysis

The 3DS will cost between $350-400 here, IMO the extra $50 is more than worth the upgrade to the PSP2 & the fact is Sony’s selling this at a loss while Nintendo is selling the DS at a profit.

7. lexph3re

Honestly I got pissed off when I heard 3ds cost so much not for the tech(which is obviously not a big step from its big brotherS) but because they could. Like seriously you are really trying to capatlize like that nintendo? I’m surprise no one jumped out calling it nintendo 3D$

8. Crysis

Because Nintendo is innocent, they can do whatever they want but noone ever calls them on it, as soon as Sony or MS does something ‘wrong’ you have geek wars 1,2 & 3.
    I just checked Aus’s main retailers, all hae listed the rrp as $398 for the 3DS, fuck off Nintendo, the DSi XL (which is a rip off) is selling more here than what the American’s & Europeans rrp is for the 3DS.

9. lexph3re

Honestly this is why nintendo lost me over priced toys is how I feel about their devices

10. Crysis

@9, Same to me, but i still understand how iconic they are to the games industry. Doesn’t mean i like their business model, they’re also the largest polluters out of all the electronic manufacturers.

11. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Fuck it. Most I’ll pay is $299 and even that’s too much for a handheld. If it debuts higher, I’ll have to wait for the first price cut. Probably better off anyway.

12. Frank17

sony ur stupid make ur ps3 internet and servers better and make better FPS exclusives that dont suck. instead of stupid handhelds. i have a andorid phone goof enough.

13. Crysis

@12, shush baby.

14. back_up

whatever price it be it will outsell 3ds small kids have now grown up
    nobody needs Italian plumber, shitty kong,nintendo dogs and other lame games

15. Dannybuoy

@11. Its a handheld with the power of a home console. No wonder it’ll cost a premium. I know millions will snap this baby up no matter what price.

16. mark82

To me this is a fair price, considering things like the I-pad cost £600 upwards and lets face it that’s just a really big I-phone, but people don’t complain about the price of that.
    Considering this new psp hd will have built in 3G and a browser that compares with android phones and it plays ps3 quality games not to mention the fact that you’ll have tophies and the chance to message ur friends on psn out and about then to be honest I actually think this little baby is a bargain!

17. Elven_Star

Anything below $350 is a reasonable price, in my opinion. For $300, it’s a no-brainer. As for 3DS, it’s not even worth considering compared to NGP. Dunno what are people talking about, to be honest. Who wants to pay $250 to play the same games all over again. Oh the stupidity…

18. 2plus2equals5

Wow these are my predictions! EEDAR hire me!

19. Fin

@14 lol u mad bro?

20. sony_sucks

Price dont matter. 3ds got better games.

3ds wins easy. Sony dont know shit what gamers want.

21. Gama_888

ngp is going to face the exact hardships the ps3 did at launch, probably even worse so.
    theres going to be a cheaper handheld console out with a more interesting main feature, and the same thousands upon thousands of people that brought a wii are going to buy a 3ds, imo 3ds is wii 2.

22. monkeygourmet

I think a lot of people have a similar opinion, however, what Nintendo are fantastic at and rarely miss with, is the fact that they generally bring something quite new to the table with each iteration of a console. NES : D-pad controller, SNES : Mode 7 graphics set plus enhanced pad (making street fighter 2 very playable), Gameboy : First cheap portable with good battery life (and tetris!), N64 : 3d stick was unique for games like Mario 64 (Sony soon launched a Dual analouge stick after the N64 launched), DS : touchcreen was unique at the time, Wii : First mass market motion controlled console.

I leave the virtual Boy out of this list as it was prob pitched far to early with dodgy tech to make it viable but the idea was still there and can now be seen brought to fruition in the 3DS. Although Sony’s tech and quality of there devices is fantatic i never feel as excited when seeing there new products launch purely as it seems like generally it’s just the horse power and oomph of the device’s that increase in size. Also, most of there device’s seem to shill there new media system to the masses. PS2: DVD, PS3 : Bluray, PSP : UMD etc… There is nothing wrong with this but the only thing i see as innovative about the NGP is the touchscreen at the back which im sure can be put to some great use in games. Im sure the price tag for a lot of people will be pretty hard to swallow when it’s finally released.

23. Crysis

You didn’t mention the Gamecube…

24. Dralen

If parents go out and buy a 3DS for their kids, they are officially mental. Especially considering the high launch price the 3DS is obviously going to go for.

25. monkeygourmet

The gamecube didn’t perform that well, it was the only Nintendo console i can think of which didn’t bring anything “new” to the table (apart from mini CDRoms which were more about anti-piracy than anything else.) They quickly managed to give it a lick of paint and re-badge it as the Wii though! ;) The biggest mistake with the cube was it seemded to be vying for the same ground as the Playstation 2 (already on a roll after the success of Sony’s marketing with the PS1) and the XBOX. It was a PR disaster for them though as there mascots have generally been more family friendly (mario, Yoshi, Zelda etc…) Typical stubborn Nintendo though, rather than pursuing the fight in the next generation, they just went out and expanded the market with the Wii and DS… Not great for the “hardcore” (although mario galaxy is still my fav game this/last gen) but a genius marketing move nonetheless.

26. monkeygourmet

Thats why i have respect for Nintendo, their still screwing you, but at least they come up with some new moves once in a while! ;)

27. mark82

#20 have you travelled back from the future and that’s how you can tell us what games both systems are gonna have?! If you ask me the psp HD will have more games than the 3ds. Think of all those psn ps3 games that can be converted over to NGP.