Skyrim weapon skills replaced with perk trees

Thursday, 3rd February 2011 22:47 GMT By Brenna Hillier

In a Game Informer podcast, Bethesda’s Todd Howard discussed Skyrim’s reduced weapon skill set, explaining that individual weapon types have their own skill trees within broader categories.

“Each skill has its own perk tree,” Howard said. “So take one handed for instance. The idea is, you have a one-handed skill, and then you can perk that – there’s like a skill tree, underneath one-handed.

“Within that there are separate perk areas for maces and then axes and then swords. So opposed to having, say, an axe skill, that is a part of the perk tree within one-handed.

“We think that … gives us a better balance. You can start like ‘I like one-handed stuff’ and then you start specialising as you raise that skill.”

The producer explained Bethesda’s motivation as a quest for gameplay.

“We tend to each time start over, and we want to find weapon types with this game that really yield gameplay,” he said. “So those skills are separate. There’s a two-handed weapon skill, there’s a one-handed weapon-skill, there’s an archery skill. … Because those really are play styles.

“Within each of those trees there are different weapon types that you can then get better at. Without saying what they all are, so they actually have a gameplay difference,” he concluded.

Howard’s general comments led on from a very specific query as to whether Skyrim’s weapon types would include spears.

“There are not spears in the classic spear sense. I’m sorry,” he said, before coyly adding, “There are currently not.”

Later, he elaborated, not ruling spears out entirely but certainly not making promises either.

“Something like spears is really cool, it’s just something with where we’re putting our time with the other weapons. It just didn’t make the cut right now.”

The director made a very gentle gibe at the extreme reactions of fans to the series’s habit of dropping weapon types.

“I see a lot of those comments, and they go back to we had X weapon types in Daggerfall, then X weapon types in Morrowind. Oblivion has its own and Skyrim has its own. And anytime there’s anything that we stop doing…”

1. Erthazus

With skill tree perk system? I think thats a good decision.

2. OrbitMonkey

I’m liking the sound of this, like the fact that they’ll change the gameplay mechanic each time to, so your not just getting the same game as last time, but with a facelift. Not that I’d mind playing Ohlivion again *sets troll bait* best in the series, much deeper & more of an epic feel, than drab old Morrowind *hides*

3. TheWulf

Methinks 2 never played Morrowind. You can always tell when they’re just going by screenshots. Hey, 2, what was the end result of curing the ailment you were stricken with in Morrowind?

:P

Sorry, but I have to call that when I see it.

4. Wiggly

I agree with #2, Oblivion is better, but Morrowind is deeper IMO, it’s such a long time ago much is forgotten. #3 I played Morrowind extensively, had stacks of paper with everything from recipes, guides and tactics and I don’t remember that.

5. CreeperTheScamp

I believe it is vampirism isn’t it? The disease you get later in the main questline?..

6. UuBuU

@5 – Nice necro there. This topic is from February!

…but anyway, in relation to the above posts, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion all have their merits and flaws. Oblivion did some things better than Morrowind, Morrowind did some things better than Oblivion, and Daggerfall did some things better than both. Overall, i’d say Morrowind is the best of the series… but when you take mods into consideration, there’s not a lot separating the games and it largely comes down to personal preference.

7. ScottWodahs

I agree with the one. Morrowind did things way better back then. It seems like they are only working on better graphics more than anything and everything else is second/third/etc…i mean heck, i havent even got to play skyrim yet. know why? i had bought a digital copy so i should be able to right? oh wait, thats right, i dont have a 20,000 dollar gaming comuter so i cant play apparently..and you know, before i bought it and tried downloading it, i left bethesda an email with my specs for both my laptop and my pc and it said they would get back in 24 hours…after waiting 3 days of no responce i tried downloading it…it started playing..went to start new game..started to load and stuff..then it would close..i called tech support just in case..said i didnt have enough dedicated memory..ok..but what happened to my email..oh, he looked for it, couldnt find it..didnt get an email back from my email till 2 weeks later….the good it does me..but hey..back with morrowind they had shoulder guard/pauldrons as their own thing each..gloves/gauntlets/bracers were two different things..boots 2 different ones..had throwing stars and knives and darts, crossbows, spears and halberds, axes and hammers..and the axes and hammers were seperate(still want to know how a bladed edge of an axe is considered blunt..good job with that one guys) could wear clothing under armor it seemed like, and robes over armor, there were different grades of lockpick, ……and the big thing was the guilds/factions…there were so many more in morrowind..one of which the people that bethesday went retarded on was the imperial legion guild…if you are going to base a game around the imperial city, why would you drop the imperial legion guild..the heck?..you could enchant and make spells a lot better and easier too. and all this way back when on simpler computers and regular xboxs..and what..in oblivion you went from 8+ types of weapons in morrowind, and 8+ areas to equip armor/jewelry/clothes(which there were light medium and heavy) and reduced it to 3 types of weapons, 2 types of armor classes, 5 areas to equip armor(which i heard they went one further and combined the cuirass with the leggings now on skyrim..the heck?)..i mean seriously..they had ‘spears, halberds, crossbows, throwing darts/stars/knives, shortswords, longswords, axes, hammers, bows, staves as blunt attacking weapons, etc..now they have blunt, blade, bow for 3 weapon skills..they have so many online games with weapon/armor smithing and they are just now getting to it on skyrim..which is still single player…they keep cutting back stuff more and more..oh..and they got rid of the classic ‘raise your skills by using them’ for some skill tree thing..yes, i am so glad a game has finally done away with having a character HAVING to play right handed..thats one thing i heard about the game that would be cool is you can play left handed..i mean seriously(i know i say that a bit, but come on)we know people can make huge games will little graphics with morrowind, which you did..we know people can make huge(understatement) creatures with amazing graphics on a meer ps2 on the game shadow of the colossus…we know people can make mmo rpgs that can play on any ordinary pc or laptop..look at lord of the rings online or world of warcraft….why cant one of you guys say ‘hey, i have an idea. lets not be retarded and make something just anyone can play that is awsome and stop changing things when things were alright over 10 years ago’…and so on..anyone want to get ahold of me to discuss, or to send hatemail, scottcrawford84@gmail.com

8. mongbatstar

I passed out reading that, I didn’t know when I was supposed to breathe.

I can see why your email never got through.

9. Deacon

OMGAWDZ an impenetrable wall of text!

10. ScottWodahs

In the email, I only asked if my desktop pc or laptop would run it and put my specs for both. I didnt put a long one like how I put a long comment.