First LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean trailer looks kind of blocky, so do the screens

Wednesday, 2nd February 2011 20:47 GMT By Nathan Grayson

Traveller’s Tales has seen fit to release the first trailer of its upcoming plastic-brick-by-plastic-brick recreation of Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean, and it’s got everything: pirates, ships, and even a monkey. Also, heaping dollops of roguish charm.

The game features storylines, locations and characters from the films, as well as the fourth in the series, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Players can take on the roles of more than 70 characters and explore the many different environments in more than 20 levels.

LEGO PotC also features two-player co-op, in which players each control a character to experience the story together, and also Freeplay mode, which lets players return to levels to discover new items.

The game is slated for release alongside the film in May for DS, PC, PSP, PS3, Wii and Xbox 360.

Gaze into Lego Jack Sparrow’s soulless (yet somehow still dreamy) eyes below.

1. Blerk

Sold! :-D

2. Detale

Does anyone know when the second Harry Potter Lego game is coming out? I’d assumed it would coincide with the last film but I can’t remember seeing anything recently.

This does look awesome though, I think we’ll be playing this too.

3. Blerk

I would’ve presumed the second Potter game would coincide with the last bit of the film too, but there’s been absolutely nothing on it yet. I guess with Lego Star Wars 3 and Pirates both on the way they might not want to risk Lego overload.

I hope it’s not going to be too long, though – Lego Potter was an excellent game!

4. Stephany Nunneley

I added some screens, and more detail in there and moved it on up to a deluxe apartment in the sky – otherwise known as the top of the site.

5. Ercarret

Wow, that sounds boring. I loved Lego SW:TCS and the first Indiana Jones game, but since the formula doesn’t seem to have improved since then I’m not really sold this time around (as I haven’t been any time since then). Are 2-player co-op and Freeplay still really features meant to entice me? I mean, come on! Shake it up a bit!

The trailer is awesome, and I really hope that they find a way to somehow spice things up a bit. I really like PotC and would love to see it done well in Lego form, but I can’t take the same formula in yet another game.

6. MushroomStamp

Loved Lego SW:TCS and Lego HP.. wasn’t a super fan of either Batman or Indiana… I think the problem lies in teh game mechanics. Having “force” or “magic” enables you to trigger and do things without having to aim accurately or be in the “exact spot”, thus keeping the pace faster and the control frustration less. Projectiles seemed to ruin things for the most part, especially when needed to shoot an exact spot to trigger something.

7. earlyrock

Oh gawd yes! I loved the actual LEGO Pirates line when I was a kid, this will be excellent.