Mass Effect 2 now available from EU PSN for a brain-melting £48/€60

Monday, 24th January 2011 12:22 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ME2 Logo

SCEE’s just confirmed on Twitter that Mass Effect 2 is now available from the PlayStation Store.

May want to clear room on your HDD if you buy it, though: it’s 12Gb to download, with the game requiring 24Gb on your HDD, apparently.

The download costs €60, or £48 in the UK.

Of course, you could buy it for £8/€6 if you have a 360. Otherwise, if you’re mental enough to download from the PS Store, go for it.

The title made it into number seven in this morning’s UK charts.

1. Blerk

How much is it?

2. Johnny Cullen

£47.99 in the UK.

/insert obligatory howfuckingmuch comment here

3. Patrick Garratt

Updated :o

4. StolenGlory

Fucking HOW MUCH?!

5. Blerk

Sorry to be predictable, but HOWFUCKINGMUCH?!!11

6. Blerk

Man, it’s times like this when I hope that digital distribution doesn’t replace discs. :shock:

7. StolenGlory

Nah Blerk I hope it does, I just hope that it wouldn’t be Sony at the forefront of it.

8. Blerk

For reference, the disc version on PS3 is £35.86 from ShopTo.

9. earlyrock

@7 Whoever ever will be at the forefront of it, we’ll be ripped off.

Physical media for the actual win!

@8 Yeah I paid £35 for it which I’m happy with. But £48? Plums to that.

10. DiodeX

Crazy talk, you sure that isn’t an error on Sony’s behalf, otherwise it will be an error!, what would Bioware would think of that price!! /off to Argos.

11. Johnny Cullen

No mistake about it. That’s the actual price.

12. DiodeX

Slightly OT, but the prices M$ charge for their GoD are a joke as well.

13. typeface

It’s definitely an EA thing the pricing I bet. I mean does anyone remember Dragon Age: Awakening was put up at £31.99.

I hope for the next gen, third party publishers realise that while there are costs for digital space pricing them at full retail price is next to ridiculous. Or first party platform owners set a fixed price for games based on certain criteria.

You can tell it’s mostly a 3rd party publisher thing when it comes to prices as each product has a range of prices (take a look at PSP digital game prices and you’ll see what I mean) some titles (even if they aren’t classics are 10-11 and some are 30 (like peacewalker was)).

I guess third party publishers possibly have agreements with store retailers (with regards to advertising on TV) which prompts them to price things higher on the digital end so that brick and mortar retailers can compete (when’s the last time you saw an ad for a game or a movie that’s out now to purchase that didn’t have some store retail ident attached?)

TV advertising costs are most likely fronted a bit by these retailers and thus the prices need to be better on the physical side rather than the digital side. This isn’t the case when games are on steam, which is why store retailers (pissed that they can’t get people to purchase some titles) are/were planning to remove steamworks titles (probably the less major ones I guess) from their shelves.

In contrast if you look at first party titles sold in the digital store it’s usually at sane rates (even ghost of sparta was just £15.99 on release).

14. freedoms_stain

@6, the issue isn’t digital distribution as such, it’s the fact that there’s only one vendor on ps3 (and indeed xbox360) no competition for a service with obvious perks over the disc and you find yourself in bum town.

15. earlyrock

Logically, you would of thought it would be cheaper than the boxed product. You know, no packaging, no transport costs, no other fees etc, yet its much higher. All because you don’t have to get off your ass to get it.

16. DiodeX

With the speed I can get games from shopto, less than 18 hours if you time it right, why pay over the odds for digital content. Plus I can only have 2.5megs due to location and then the actual game is mine to sell after.

17. loki

bought six months ago for £ 12 for Xbox 360
    better spend my money on LBP2 or Killzone 3

18. Psychotext

lolwut

19. SplatteredHouse

I lol’d.

20. mojo

lol for 60€ and digital only the game is definatly not good enough (no game currently is btw)

21. Erthazus

Cool. Thats another reason on why consoles do not the best job for gaming.

for example on PC not even fucking Call Of duty will cost THAT MUCH (even on Steam) considering Activision like to overprice it’s franchise to death.

I bought Mass Effect 2 at LAUNCH for 24.99 GBP for PC.

Now, it cost like for 12 – 17 at MAX. (On Steam it cost for 17 GBP right now)

Good job EA, Sony. Milk sheeps please.

22. Johnny Cullen

“Milk the cows,” you mean?

/pedantic.

23. PsychoboyUK

IM sorry you want me to pay £50 for a game thats been out for nearly a year and a half and that i can get for a fiver on another console!!!

Sorry but I for one am not made of money i can go to GAME, PLAY< AMAZON or even shopto and get it cheaper!!!

It might be a great game but im not willing to pay that much sorry!!!

24. NeoSquall

This price is madness!

25. KL

@21 Do your research. Sony got nothing to do with the pricing when it comes to games from another publisher.It’s all EA here
    people really haven’t sorted out the differences between XBL and PSN yet have they?

26. OrbitMonkey

*puts mark in calendar for 24/04/2011* Think I’ll pick it up then, from a shop.

27. Stoopid_Snot

Sony turns into M$

28. Johnny Cullen

It’s NOT Sony who decides on what prices the games should be on the store UNLESS it’s their own content.

It’s normally the publisher of that said game who decides – in this case, EA.

29. Shubb9

Easy money. People who will pay anything to get it ASAP will get milked, then two/three months later… ZOMG AMAZING SALE!!! Price comes down to normal retail and the rest of the people who want it pile in. Two bites of profit pie

30. Aimless

I did warn you.

31. furby

You know what I find brain melting?

The fact that a videogaming news site can write up such a piece about the price of a game and utterly fail the people who actually set the price: the publisher.

That’s some classy writing.

32. furby

Not as classy as missing out the words “to mention” in the sentence above. But, still. :)

33. Dralen

This is all I can say to that price