Dead Space 2 producer: Visceral “really needed to adjust” Dead Space’s weapons

Sunday, 23rd January 2011 23:26 GMT By Brenna Hillier

deadspace2

Visceral Games’ Steve Papoutsis has said the original Dead Space’s weaponry needed tweaking for the sequel, to make it “more fun”.

“We looked at all of [the weapons from Dead Space] and we decided there were some that we really needed to adjust,” Papoutsis said, in the fourth episode of Visceral’s “Ask Steve” video question and answer sessions.

“We went through all the weapons that existed in the original game, tweaked those slightly, [made] them more fun”.

The executive producer highlighter the flamethrower as an example of a neglected weapon. “The flamethrower for instance – we really wanted to improve that, make people want to use it more,” he commented.

Papoutsis nominated the plasma cutter as his favourite weapon from the original.

You can see the full episode below, which also covers the game’s hardcore mode and levelling up multiplayer characters.

Thanks, Evil Avatar.

1. albo88

the first game was boring going left right from that ship to much repetitive that’s just my opinion and they need to give us more magazine man
    b4 battling a boss i was searching all around to find some magazine here and there

2. The_Red

I have no idea how you were bored. I had a lot of fun with Dead Space’s battle and there weren’t too many boss fights. Only 2 if I’m not mistaken (The Leviathan and the Hive Mind).

Anyway, I really REALLY loved the original and my fave weapons were the Ripper and the Line Gun. Hope they haven’t changed too much.

3. D3SI

Started Playing Dead Space (Original) 2 days ago and loving it…. Favourite weapons are Plasma Cutter and Line Gun.

4. Platorian

@1 the ammo need to be that way to make it a thriller not these main stream games with ammo pack lying everywhere. It brought back the resident evil feel of desperation. That is if you played it on hard normal was a walk in the park in comparativeness. If you were bored i bet you played it on easy.

5. Blerk

I played through the whole thing with only the plasma cutter. I think they should’ve taken all the other weapons OUT! :-D