Xbox 360 update foils Call of Duty pirates

Thursday, 20th January 2011 03:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

xboxlivelogo

Yesterday’s mandatory Xbox360 dashboard update may not have been as inconsequential as it seemed; those running illicit copies of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops have found themselves locked out of both games.

According to Engadget, Xbox-Scene forumites first commented on the update’s strangely weighty file size and attendant download time.

After applying the update, burned copies of both Activision games ceased to function, suggesting Microsoft slipped a little more content than advertised into the patch.

The only publicised function of the update was a restoration of the lost boot to disc option.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Microsoft <3 Activision.

2. stretch215

Indeed they do, sir.

3. XxT_I_K_IxX_PR

Microsoft touches Activision on the private parts! :O

4. freedoms_stain

Why did everyone have to get it if it just affects 2 games?

I don’t appreciate microsoft apprehending my bandwidth and game time for anti-piracy measures for a game I don’t own (black ops) and one I barely play (mw2).

5. Psychotext

Three, Halo Reach is one of them too.

That said, it’s only going to be a short while before they’re back in rotation again. Wont stop the hardcore pirates… might put off the casual pirates though.

6. Callum

@5 I think all they can do is constantly update it like this. You are right when you say the hardcore will just carry on…it might even spur them on even! But lots of small updates targeting individual hacks will put off the majority I reckon.

7. albo88

M$ cant do shit unlike they give as an standard paymed like in America or other country’s in Europe so we could buy its games

8. Blerk

The pirates should all get the PS3 versions, I hear Activision can’t do shit about those. :-D

9. Kysshin

All that is needed is a patch of the ap2.5 sectors and we would then need to apply said patch to the iso to be able to play the game again.

This won’t exactly stop pirates very long.

10. Callum

@8 lol Blerk.

11. OlderGamer

You get what you pay for. MS does this type of thing often. I doubt it will do much in the end but it might curtail some of the cheating, and doing something(giving a damn) is better then doing nothing.

12. pukem0n

lol, this update doesnt bother proper retail games buying people. so only pirates complain ^^

13. DSB

@4 Might want to read the patch notes, champ.