“We’re going to be hard-pressed to be able to fulfill demand” for Kinect, says Microsoft

Friday, 7th January 2011 20:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

kinect

Jose Pinero, Microsoft’s senior director of PR for Entertainment Services, has said the company will do well to meet the demand for Kinect at retail for the next two months.

Speaking with D’toid at CES, Pinero said while the low stock may be frustration for consumers, for Microsoft, it’s a “nice problem to have”.

“There was so much demand [for Kinect] that we had to pull some production from January and February, so I think we’re going to be hard-pressed to be able to fulfill demand,” he said.” “A lot of retailers will be out of stock, or will have challenges making sure that their shelves are filled.

“I don’t think we’ll be able to fulfill the demand in January and February. It’s a nice problem to have.”

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer announced during CES Kinect had shipped over 8 million units to retailers, and the company confirmed to Bloomberg that has far as units sales were concerned, the device had “far surpassed” the 5 million sold mark MS predicted back before Christmas.

The device sold 2.5 million units in its first 25 days on the market.

1. Erthazus

oh great, a lot of shovelware for Microsoft E3 2011. Yaay!

2. Joe Anderson

@1 Exactly, all any company cares about is money, so if Kinect continues to sell well, all we will see is casual games coming to market, leaving the PS3 as the only true gamers machine. I think MS’s core line up for 2011 so far proves that.

3. Mike

Sorry, what? So ilomilo, BG&E HD, Torchlight, Forza 4, Codename D, Child of Eden, Gears 3 etc. aren’t for true gamers?

I’m not comparing games with PS3 titles, btw. I’m just saying that if you don’t consider any of the above suitable for a “true gamer” then you’re off your head.

4. Erthazus

@3, Mike, Child of Eden and BG&E Hd is also for PS3. Torchlight? Seriously? =\ Are you freakin serious?

Forza 4, Codename Kingdoms (whats that? =\ Crytek action game?), Semi-simulation Forza 4 in holidays with Kinect and Gears Of War 3 by the end of the year? Thats it?

Halt. While PS3 and PC gamers have a hot season of games for the whole year, there is no excuse.

5. JPdot

I have to admit that I really want to try out this new device since it seems to be all over the news both in ad out the internet. However I don’t have the required physical space ad home to play with Kinect, so for now I will just keep an eye on the games to be released. Let’s hope for something really worth playing.

6. Mike

@4: Read what I wrote: I am not comparing games. I’m just saying that there are games that a “true gamer” would enjoy.

Joe’s basically trolling, that’s all.

7. monkeygourmet

There are easily enough games coming out on Xbox this year, i don’t know why your complaining so much. I play on my Xbox quite a bit and still have Fable 3, Castlevania, Halo Reach, DJ Hero 2, NFS Hot Pursuit, AC : Brotherhood, BC : Vietnam plus Raskulls, Dead Rising 2: Case West, Ilo Milo on XBLA to get through… Also i have barely gotten into the Kinect games i picked up over xmas. I was annoyed Gears 3 got pushed back but now im just glad because id have no time to enjoy it if it released in Febuary!

There’s still Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, Portal 2, Gears 3, Forza, Kingdoms, Xcom, Test Drive Unlimited, Elder Scrolls, Batman Arkham City, plus all the kinect stuff and Xbla stuff too! I mean, how many games can you actually play and enjoy in one year without it becoming the equivilent of hoarding! PS3 may have more exclusives, but lets face it, exclusives are pretty much dead now. I’ll enjoy playing a bit of Uncharted 3 and Motorstorm on my mates PS3 but i think your being a bit of a fanny to make such sweeping statements about the 360 having only shovelware this year!

8. combat101

“exclusives are pretty much dead now”…explain exactly how they’re dead?

9. Joe Anderson

@6 I’m not trolling I’m having an opinion, and in my opinion MS has no games for this year. I hope that changes but I don’t think it will much, otherwise they would have been announced already.

10. Joe Anderson

@7 I think what he’s trying to say is that compared to Sony’s pretty shithot line up, the 360 is far behind this year. MS seem to be focusing on Kinect, and leaving the decent games to third party studios.

11. Joe Anderson

@6 and why would I troll on a website I work for? That doesn’t make sense.

12. spiderLAW

hahaha
    I was thinking the same.

13. Michael O’Connor

One of these days, all these fanboys will realise that the people who buy the games don’t actually give a flying fuck about exclusive titles. Because, you know, all those multi-format titles don’t matter.

Why deny yourself another format when you can just enjoy them all? You’re denying yourself dozens of great games with console bias. It’s retarded and stupid.

Also, the modern definition of trolling = “anything you say that I don’t agree with.”

14. monkeygourmet

@ 8

Final Fantasy, Grand theft Auto, Mass Effect, Lost Planet, Dead Rising have all migrated to both platforms. Microsoft know that they don’t have to put crazy money into exclusives this year, save for a bit of withholding timed DLC bullshit (Fallout : new vegas, black ops etc…). They are going to focus on Kinect this year for sure, but there’s still a shit ton of core games coming out as well, to be honest, if you look at my previous list thats almost oversatuaration if you play all these games to completion.

15. monkeygourmet

Exactly, you can pick up a 360 for about 50 quid now, a wii for 70, a PS3 slim for maybe 125-150. If you really want exclusives just fork out a little extra cash and your away. My loyalties to any particular brand died when Mario and Sonic at Winter olympics came out! ;)

16. Joe Anderson

Trust Mike to talk sense, buy all the consoles and then play all the amazing games.

17. Michael O’Connor

@15 @16 *takes a bow*

18. Bond James Bond

Well, MS would say that, wouldn’t they.

The Wii was bullshit for the masses, Kinect and Move are going down that same path…

19. monkeygourmet

I don’t understand why so many people think having Kinect, Move, Wii or whatever is bad for gaming. In my opinion gamings at an all time high whichever system you have. The PS3 has some great exclusives next year, there’s tons of stuff coming out for Xbox and xbla, Nintendo will be focusing on the 3ds launch which will no doubt be incredible. Having motion control alongside your console in no way will effect the quality of games coming out this year. Both Microsoft and Sony seem very wary about shoehorning motion control into games that don’t need it (See Fable 3, Uncharted 3, Forza etc…), prob after watching Nintendos fairly lax approach on third party titles. Of course there will be shovelware that’ll sell to the un-educated simple solution to that is, dont buy it!

20. Erthazus

“I don’t understand why so many people think having Kinect, Move, Wii or whatever is bad for gaming.”

Because these things this industry don’t need. It’s like 3D in movies.
    Lets add a gimmick to sell you something for more money.

But if you are in to that (to the casual gaming), well, it’s your only problem.

21. JPdot

Well, I think that these new devices can be interesting experiments in empowering gaming eclectism. That alone, however, doesn’t automatically makes them worthwhile to anyone but I think that things like that will always exist in the market, both to make money and to give something that seems different. I can’t see them as diabolical or capitalistic means to pollute professional or elitist gamers.

22. Michael O’Connor

@19 Well said.

@20 There’s a lot of things people don’t need, but that doesn’t stop it from being fun, does it?

Casual gaming hasn’t stop me from getting my regular dose of core gaming whenever I want it. If anything, there’s more great games being released right now than I even have the money to afford!

23. lexph3re

Lmfao! I might be called a troll for this but it is so funny hearing xbox fanboys in the place of ps3 owners last year. Like everything a ps3 owner ranted about is now being taken seriously since xbox is not shoveling out exclusives and “superior” 3rd party games.

Its like the mayan prophecy of universal change is true!lmfao! I have said it before and will say it again. You buy your consoles based off preference and judge others off that preference. Neutral nut jobs are full of shit. Because, when it comes down to it your just jumpin lines to dodge fire. You can’t stand in the middle of a battlefield and expect not to get shot,blown up, or milked.

Exclusive define everything in gaming. If it was for mario, sonic, or donkey kong being a mascot a console would be overlooked completely. Those friendly faces keep us playing.. so to say exclusives are dead is to just say gaming is dead. Please people stop acting civilised and high & mighty because everyone holds bias feelings as well as prejudice.

And as for the kinect it is a novelty item. Like something you pick up for a friend when you’re on vacation. Most of the people I. Know are still trying to justify their purchase because it has lost their attentions already. A lady told me earlier how I was right and the only ones playing her kinect is her baby because he likes joy ride.lol please just drop the acts because in about a weak you guys will be glouting superiority then the next you’ll be finding excuses or justifications on why your purchase collects dust

24. monkeygourmet

I know these things are ‘gimmicks’, but when im having a laugh with a buch of friends i couldn’t care less! There’s a social aspect to casual gaming where you need to be able to laugh at yourself now and again (especially with kinect playing back your failed attempts on screen), alot of people seem threatened by this or are maybe a bit jaded and dead inside, have a go, who knows, you may have some fun! ;)

25. monkeygourmet

It’s called, growing up, having a job and being able to buy whatever the hell i please. Exclusives are great, but, i must admit, i had much more loyalty to Mario when my Dad had to buy me my NES, now im not so fussed.

26. Michael O’Connor

“Exclusive define everything in gaming. If it was for mario, sonic, or donkey kong being a mascot a console would be overlooked completely.”

We aren’t in 1992 anymore. This industry is far different now than it was back then.

“please just drop the acts because in about a weak you guys will be glouting superiority then the next you’ll be finding excuses or justifications on why your purchase collects dust”

I own a Kinect, the Move, and a Wii, and they all get regular use. In fact, I don’t have enough time to give them all the attention they deserve.

27. monkeygourmet

Things have moved on, it’s not the ‘try and find a mascot to topple Mario’ days any longer:

28. lexph3re

As I said give it time mike. The initial affect is still present for move and kinect, we really won’t know until about 6-8 mnths after release before the devices truely show their worths. Until then just a bunch of bitchin is goin to happen

29. lexph3re

Mascots still rain supreme now and days their just no longer cute cuddly creatures, or midget fat italians with a drug addiction

30. Michael O’Connor

@28 I guess we’ll see. I’m certainly interested to see what the gaming landscape will look like by next Christmas.

@29 Funny, Call of Duty seems to be selling just fine without one.

31. lexph3re

Don’t get it twisted the mascot of cod is the war. It sells more from the title aspect as opposed to the image. Like any game with mario in it is pretty much already sold. Cod works the same way.

32. lexph3re

Omg! Why am I watching predator 2?

33. Mike

Ok, I’ll put it another way: saying that ps3 is the only true gamer’s machine is utterly ridiculous, even retarded.

If that’s just “your opinion” – even after several decent games have been listed for you – then fair enough, but it’s certainly an opinion I have absolutely no respect for.

I only thought you were trolling as its plain to see there are plenty if decent 360 titles coming out and your statement disregarded all if them and even went as far as to intimate that you, a true gamer (lol), seem to know better than everyone else.

So, no Mike, my definition of trolling is not, “i don’t agree with you” its “what you just said is so fucking retarded that you’re saying it to create an argument or you simply have no clue about the subject matter.”

34. Mike

Oh, and children, a little life lesson: wait until you grow up, get a real job and a family if your own and then come and tell everyone they should just buy every console and enjoy all the games.

Sometimes I’d love to be alone with a box of tissues, a tin of beans and uncharted 3 but I’m a big boy now, unfortunately.

35. lexph3re

Mike who are you talking to?

36. Kuwabara

cant believe people actually bought this piece of shit. Stupid, stupid people…

37. Psychotext

Hey Kuwabara… you’re basically calling me, and various members of my family and friends stupid for playing something, enjoying it, and then buying it for ourselves.

I’d write an eloquent rebuttal, perhaps highlighting certain obvious insecurities that I’ve noticed some of the supposed hardcore gamers seem to have regarding “casual” titles and motion controls in general. Perhaps I’d draw comparisons between you and the ignorant members of society who have no understanding of hardcore gaming and choose to fear / attack it instead.. but it would be wasted on you.

So I’ll put it bluntly instead. Fuck off you utter waste of oxygen.

38. metamorphic

@37: Quite mature; you’ve certainly lived up to whatever Kuwabara has said… are all Kinect fanboys this stupid?

39. Crysis

MS has actually stated that they have no plans to bring out any core games for Kinect & they’re leaving it to 3rd party publishers for that. If i can find the quote i will link it.
    Bottomline, don’t expect much support from MS if you want great games for Kinect, expect more joyride & avatar kiddy games.

40. Psychotext

@38: Oh dear, was I being immature, perhaps an arsehole? Maybe a little uncouth? Spare me, it’s the level of response that was appropriate to such a worthless post.

41. Mike

You’re just not a “true gamer,” psycho. That’s the only explanation.

42. Robo_1

I love the term true gamers, it makes us sound like some sort of underground movement. :)

43. M2Kx

I’m really glad, that there’s no exclusive game in 2011 that I care about. All titles I’m interested in are mp. Still, I think that MS has also some titles to come this year, like alan wake 2 or a “new” halo game. So stop making fanbois angry :D

44. GMRGRL

@23 I haven’t seen anything “neutral” on here. What I have seen is people bitching and moaning about Kinect and going a bit mental at anyone who is trying to engage in a rational discussion about the merits ot it. If these crazy opinions (and I use the term loosely) were at least backed up with information as to whether they had tried Kinect and what they found the flaws to be…what am I saying? To state a point and argue it with valid information appears to beyond the grasp of a number of people on here!
    Being concerned that Kinect will detract developers from the core gamers and indeed the core market is fine. But both Mike and Monkeygourmet have at least mentioned some games to put your mind at rest. They’ve acknowledged it’s a novelty and aimed at casual gamers. MS woul be idiots to cut out casual gamers as Sony is dipping into the market and its an opportunity to expand the target market. To ignore that completely and rant on about the PS3′s “shithot” line up, negelecting to actually name any titles I might add, looks rather silly. Especially for someone who works for this website.
    Poopooing a form of entertainment because it doesn’t entail clocking up as many headshots as possible is ludricous. If you can’t be silly and have a bit of fun without getting your knickers in a twist about it and thinking that anyone who can is beneath you because you only play Halo and COD then you’re pissing on the spirit gaming and its origins and are just demonstrating that you’re not a ‘true gamer’; you actually have a very limited viewpoint because you don’t expand your horizons. I wouldn’t limit myself to one type of food and rag on anyone who tried something different and enjoyed it. And going back to @23 as I went off on a bit of a tangent there, I wouldn’t judge anone who’s preference varies from my own. What a ridiculous statement to make! Perhaps if you got out and about a bit more you might encounter flesh bags called human beings who are all unique and can get along perfectly well. Even if one is a COD junkie and the other loves Peggle.

45. monkeygourmet

That is exactly the point i was trying to make. I’ve been playing on videogames pretty much before i could walk, Vectrex, Speccie’s, Commodore 64′s. NES, Gameboys, Playstations etc.. right up until now and don’t plan on stopping anytime soon. I was dubious about motion controlled gaming at first, but now i’ve seen it for what it is; Social, Fun and easy to get the hang of, and have really grown to enjoy playing these types of games when you have a few people over. There’s always games like FIFA, Castle Crashers, SSF4 etc.. to complement these experiences, so it really grinds my gears when people whine about Core Gamerz being left out… There’s more than enough games being released these days to satisfy everyone!

46. OrbitMonkey

^ Rational thought…. Overrated ^_^

47. Kuwabara

Hey Psycho, I stand by what i said, those who paid for kinnect made a stupid decision and are ignorant, are lame, or misinformed, who fell for the marketing crap. I can only refer to kinnect as a specialty toy for toddlers. If they were wise they have paid a little more and gone out and bought a wii! for example. By the way how is kinnect in any way considered hardcore gaming??

48. GMRGRL

@47 I don’t know if it’s a waste of time attempting to engage in a normal conversation, but even though you have ignored/ not read any of the comments you’re disputing, I’ll at least have the courtesy to read and address your post. Kinect is NOT for hard core games. No one said it was. I didn’t want a Wii. Being someone who has played both on the Wii and the Kinect I prefer Kinect and I actually think its more responsive. Particularly for fitness and dance games as it tracks your entire body. I’m not particularly interested in the majority of games on the Wii as my primary console is the Xbox. Therefore for the purposes of pissng about and having fun with friends or for a fitness game I opted for the Kinect. And being a grown up with my own income I can affored to buy a Kinect for this frivolous reason. I didn’t fall for any marketing crap, it was a conscious decision. Maybe when you’re a bit bigger and get a paper round and save your pennies, you too can make any purchase you want rather than sitting on your daddy’s lap playing with his Wii controller.

49. GMRGRL

@47 btw props for not falling for the marketing crap. You’ve had your head wedged between your buttocks for so long that you clearly don’t know anything about Kinect. You can’t even spell it correctly. Congrats ;)

50. Kuwabara

Gmrgrl, get ur fat arse off ur couch and do some proper sports and fitness. Buy an aerobics video, its cheaper :P

51. GMRGRL

@50 lol! Oh Kuwabara, your logic and defense of your stance on why you aren’t imppressed with Kinect have floored me. So your vision of my fat arse has undisputedly proved that Kinect is pretty shit over all and THAT is why I should buy a Wii and additionally, spend more money on a fitness video. If I was a fat lard arse, you should actually be recommending Kinect because thanks to it’s body tracking it would be able to tell me when my big fat limbs were out of sync with the trainer. Glad to see you’ve come around to my way of thinking ;P

52. Johnny Cullen

I’m going to come out and say it: I like Kinect. More so then Move.

53. Psychotext

“I stand by what i said, those who paid for kinnect made a stupid decision and are ignorant, are lame, or misinformed, who fell for the marketing crap.”

Umm… I bought it after playing it endlessly at a friends house. My two sisters bought it after playing it at my mother’s house. Another friend of mine bought it after playing it at my house. How is any of that falling for “marketing crap”? The only person possibly guilty of that was the friend of mine who bought it in the first place.

As for it being hardcore gaming, who said that? All I said was that you’re acting the same towards casual gaming as ignorant non-gamers act towards gaming in general. It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so pathetic.

(Oh, and for what it’s worth, the guy who bought it originally owns every console released in the last 15 years, I’ve owned every home console from the last two generations, and both my sisters have a Wii… so going out and buying more Wiis probably wouldn’t have been particularly wise.)

54. itsucks

“Cu”wabara Kuwabara U r gay, go fuck your butthurt. Move is a PieceOfShit3 that tanked like a trooper.

55. Kuwabara

Gmrgrl, i can tell ur an xbox person. Unlike the ps3, the xbox360 is more about chat and other media related crap, hence the shit first party lineup and exclusives coming out. And the reason u bought kinnect is not for gaming, but to exercise, ” in a fun ” way. So kinnect really is just a cheap thrill, for those who aren’t gamers. Show me a game on kinnect, that is as good as console games and offers unique experiences not found elsewhere.

Itsucks, ur the one who will be but hurt during this year, as ur precious xbox wont see any exclusives till the late year when gears 3 comes out, meaning ur gonna be jerking off to kinnect with your fake friends. Move sold around 5 million, how did it bomb? Hve fun with ur media console with no games LOL

56. monkeygourmet

@ 55

Are you serious?! ALL new consoles are becoming media centers. The Wii is behind the 360 and PS3 in this area but it still has plenty of media applications through it’s dashboard (photo manipulation, Iplayer etc…). Sony pushes the PS3 just as much as MS push the 360 in this area. Christ, Sony are the only company to try and put a stamp and monopoly on new disc formats when releasing a console (UMD, DVD, Bluray), this is all included in their media center strategy. All major console manufacturers are hoping that their particular consoles becomes the main Entertainment hub in your home and if you think otherwise your just kidding yourself…

57. Psychotext

“psychotext, ur the biggest idiot. Go play real bowling or sports instead of buying it on kinnect. Did u buy it for gaming?? what single game on kinnect is as good as a decent game on a console??”

no ur idiot lololol. Why am shooty shooty in PS3 when shooty shooty IRL am real!

Fool. Dance Central is fantastic fun, challenging and good exercise to boot. The mini games on Kinect Sports are a great laugh too. I guess I should go out and buy real instruments instead of playing Rock Band as well right? Maybe get a bunch of people together to play football instead of playing Fifa? Run around on the roof instead of playing Mirror’s Edge?

(By the way, I bowl, play squash, play badminton, kickbox and mountain bike… none of that has any relevance to what I find fun when I’m gaming)

58. GMRGRL

@55 I hear NASA are looking for super intelligent chimps for their next space programme. Seeing as you have somehow commandeered a PC and are managing to mash out responses on the keypad, I think you’d be in with a chance. I’ll cetainly vouch for you. Should they ever give you a brain transplant and give you the ability to actually read and absorb information, I think you might find that you’re repeatedly arguing a point that no one has made. I have actually already said this but to clarify Kinect is not for hardcore games. Its for fun and silliness as is the Wii and Move.
    Also, I think NASA may be more interested in your psychic abilities. Stating only 1 reason for me buying Kinect even though I gave you 2 of the many reasons for the purchase and those were to demonstrate, by comparison, that those particular genre of games are better on the Kinect than on the Wii or Move because of the body tracking, is astounding.
    I can tell you’re a PS3 chimp because your over aggressive chimp brain is seeing red at the word Xbox. You must also be a fairly young chimp to think anyone cares who’s got what console.
    In a nutshell Chimpy (may I call you Chimpy?) Kinect (note the correct spelling) is for casual games and is superior due to the motion tracking for the entire body. The potential for the piece of technology as a separate entity is groundbreaking.
    I must away now but if you get hungry and want some more attention come find me on another post and I’ll be more than happy to feed the resident troll :)

59. lexph3re

I love how you didn’t post my responce yesturday vg but told me I put duplicates up. I’ve been censored!

Waggle for 30minutes and its consecutive to a 30-45min gym workout? Lmfso!

60. Michael O’Connor

“And, by the way anyone who believes they’ll get in shape with kinect are fooling themselves and know nothing about physical ed. Lol kinect wii and move will never get you to lose weight or stay in shape.”

I don’t think *anyone* is stupid enough to think that they will get fit by *solely* using the Kinect. This is blindingly obvious.

But as someone who works out five days a week, I can comfortably tell you that you’re ignorant if you think it doesn’t help at all. Especially in the case of Fitness Evolved, the cardio and toning exercise are just as good as any other form of similar exercises, and as long as you use it enough, it will help you lose just as much weight as any expensive gym membership could.

I bet you’re not even aware that the game has weight lifting in it. Obviously you need to buy your own weight, but man, its one hell of an intense exercise.

The Kinect version of EA Sports Active is a bit gimmicky, because the exercise in that version don’t translate themselves well to weight building or cardio burning exercises, but Fitness Evolved has the system down perfectly.

Nobody should be using it as their only mean of exercise. Obviously. Most of us are smart enough to realise that. Its the people who don’t that will continue to stay fat.

61. Psychotext

“Lol kinect wii and move will never get you to lose weight or stay in shape.”

Let me dig up some numbers I did for Wii Sports boxing and DDR: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=70464

Based on my experience so far I’d say that Dance Central is equivalent to a low impact cardio routine, and would likely put you into the aerobic heart zone at about 70 – 80% MHR. I’d imagine something like The Fight on PS Move would do a little lower, probably 60 – 70% MHR (fat burning / recovery zone).

I’ve put neither of them to the test though, so I could be off one way or the other. That said, if those figures are right, both would work just fine for weight loss and staying in shape (assuming you performed an appropriate / regular amount of it, and had a sensible diet), with Dance Central having the advantage of targeting more muscle groups. Obviously something like Biggest Loser / Fitness Evolved / Sports Active would be better though as they’re specifically aimed at fitness / flexibility.

Related to gaming / fitness. I used DDR to take me from 22% body fat to 14% body fat after a back injury. Was some fantastic cardio at the higher difficulty levels. :)

62. theevilaires

and the NATAL defense force is out again :D for people who claim they are well beyond responding to idiocy you two “FAIL EPICALLY”

the amount of owning Kuwabara does is hilarious :D

63. Psychotext

You should actually read the posts TEA, you might learn something.

(Oh, and that last one puts me in the Move and Wii defence forces too technically)

64. Michael O’Connor

@62 Do you *enjoy* proving your own stupidity and ignorance to the whole world? You’re like that annoying rash that you want to get rid of but refuses to go away, and everyone on the entire site has the rash.

You should try it some time.

@63 Don’t expect miracles, Psycho.

65. lexph3re

Ok, seeing how I’m a martial artist and know the true intensity needed for maintaining and losing weight as well as a well-balanced diet. I can say again, anyone who believes these sole devices will help them lose weight need to do some serious research.

Just plainly getting your heart rate is one part of the deal not the whole thing. And, buying a weight set along with kinect shows again more money spent at a ignorant rate. You’d be better off hiring a personal fitness trainer.

66. Psychotext

…and I’ve got a degree in Sports Science, with a PhD in Nutritional Sciences (I hate doing this, but seriously, what the hell man).

Martialartistlol

You want to turn yourself into Bruce Lee… sure, the Wii, Move, Kinect etc isn’t going to be enough. You want to keep fit / lose a bit of weight with a sensible diet? Easily enough. You want to eat 1000kcal over your RMR per day… d’uh, it’s obviously not going to cut it.

Oh, and raising your heart rate? Pretty much all that matters outside of diet unless you want to lose weight passively through increased lean body mass, and even then, adding 10kg of muscle mass wouldn’t burn much more than an tablespoon of sugar worth of calories a day at rest (check my numbers against the Katch-McArdle formula or Cunningham formula if you like).

Unless you’re getting into macronutritional ratios, but that’s somewhat outside the scope of exercise discussion.

Aaaaaanyway, done with this crap. Short answer is do whatever works for you, if you need to be obsessive about it / need a personal trainer / jog 20 miles a day / play Wii Fit / 2 hours a day of DDR / whatever then more power to you. But don’t dismiss what works for others because you feel it wouldn’t work for you.

67. Michael O’Connor

“Ok, seeing how I’m a martial artist and know the true intensity needed for maintaining and losing weight as well as a well-balanced diet.”

You do realise that this sort of thing and is influenced by genes and varies incredibly from person to person, right?

Some people just have a good metabolism. Others don’t. For some (like myself) losing weight is a breeze. For others, it’s an incredibly difficult process.

So I’m not entirely sure what you mean about “the true intensity needed for maintaining and losing weight.” For me it was as simple as dropping Pepsi out of my diet. Seriously.

“So, again the move, kinect, and wii. Would have to be apart of a established workout. Which means it is not needed if your truely working out correctly. This fitness via video game equals big fail.”

Nobody is claiming that these devices will *solely* help you get fit, strong and healthy, and there are very few people out there stupid enough to believe that one of these alone will do that for you.

You’re missing the point. It’s a fun alternative.

I enjoy Fitness Evolved. I like the adrenalin rush that sort of exercise gives me, and when I live on an island, and it’s 8pm at night, getting to a gym isn’t always an option.

It’s also more engaging and enjoyable than having to travel those 20 miles to a gym and hang out in such a boring and sterile environment. Not to mention cheaper.

68. lexph3re

See. That’s why I don’t give 2 shits when someone brings degrees in the matter. Because, clearly o’connor caught what I said. And yes some of these gamers/casuals truely believe that just kinect,wii,and move is going to be enough for them. And yes a martial fucking artist for 17 years to your 4 year degree.(2 for some)

So, without someone else lecturing or telling me about fitness its engrained in me. And the formulas just make it simpler to clarify what you know. To the people who need convincing that is. More power to you for what helped you. And I’m not dismissing what you accomplished. But, for the asses that think these stand alone devices can equal out to the true effect of PROPERlY taking care of your body. They need to get a clue.

Cardio is no good if your still smoking 4 packs a day and knockin back some beers. And eating grossly still does no justice. Eating 2 times a day kitty meals isn’t a diet.. its starvation. This is to specific to just settle at you have a degree.

And, I don’t think my purpose of this was about fun was it? But, about fitness.

69. Michael O’Connor

“And, I don’t think my purpose of this was about fun was it? But, about fitness.”

Why not have both? =P

You did directly say “Lol kinect wii and move will never get you to lose weight or stay in shape.”. This is blatantly untrue. It’s not the only thing you need, but it can *definitely* help, and sometimes significantly so.

Only the stupidest people think one thing will help them lose weight…

…or maybe I’m just overestimating people’s intelligence. The more Americans I get to know, the easier I find it to understand just why the country has an obesity problem. How about simply not eating 20lbs of meat with every meal? Uurrgghh…

70. lexph3re

Try living with them every day and having a mother who thinks she know everything about fitness can make you go mad!