Sony: Move ships 4.1 million units worldwide

Tuesday, 30th November 2010 19:35 GMT By Johnny Cullen

move

Sony’s announced it’s shipped 4.1 million units of PlayStation Move since its launch in September.

It comes on the back of figures from Microsoft last night, announcing it had sold 2.5 million Kinect units since its launch earlier this month worldwide.

It was thought that Sony mentioned sales of the motion controller following today’s announcement, but the company’s told Joystiq it actually meant shipping numbers. Oopsie.

“While we don’t disclose our exact sell-through number, the key is that our retailers continue to ask for more Move units and are taking every unit we can supply them with based on their sales,”  said a Sony rep.

Shipping figures of PlayStation Eye and the sub-controller for the time PS Move was released weren’t given. The Eye is essential to use Move, while the sub-controller isn’t mandatory.

The motion wand was unveiled at E3 2009, and got a proper blow-out at GDC back in March.

It launched in Europe and US in September before releasing in October in Japan.

1. cookiejar

Christ. Good news indeed, but this is Sony. Are they proper actual sales figures, or shipped to retailer figures?

2. Bleak Harvest

wait…really?

3. back_up

as always Sony kick the ass of M$ by beating RROD 360 and Garbage Windows

4. Blerk

Is that ’4.1 million PS3 owners now have Move’ or ‘we’ve sold 4.1 individual bits and pieces from the Move hardware line-up’?

5. Johnny Cullen

Move itself. They didn’t provide numbers on other stuff for it, like the Eye, the sub-controller, the gun, etc.

6. Mike

Wonder if it shipped new PS3s with it, or it was just bought by existing owners.

7. Psychotext

Yeah, it’s the bundles and the move controller. Very strong figures, I’d wager it must be doing well in mainland Europe because it’s not really done anything at all in the US and Japan. Europe does love them some motion gaming though (they were very big on the eyetoy too).

@1: Those are sold to retailer figures. They always are unless specifically stated otherwise.

8. orakaa

Well, that’s an impressive number !

I’m not THAT surprised, as on almost every retail videogame website I go, the MOVE remains amongst the top sellers.

I have bought one myself and am pretty pleased by its accuracy (love it in Resident Evil 5), but now we need more HARDCORE GAMES… and by that, I mean a bloody good STAR WARS game where you can manipulate a lightsaber with the Move ^^

9. pukem0n

is that sell through numbers or shipped?
    it doesnt say anywhere so im guessing shipped

10. Razor

This is just shipped right?

Numbers are kind of pointless.

11. Blerk

They’ve sold loads more than I thought they had, then – kudos.

12. DaMan

how come there’s no link to Sony in that post??

this site is a bunch of sonybots! unbelievable!

13. Michael O’Connor

Quit over-analysing it people. Does it really matter?

Anyway, great numbers regardless. Well deserved.

14. mescalineeyes

No, please keep over-analyzing this. carefully worded press-release is carefully worded.

If this number was the actual number of devices sold to customers, one thinks Sony would be way clearer about it.

Good show, nonetheless, and a fantastic as fuck device.

15. Kalain

Define “Sell”.

I got a new Phone with a new PS3 and Move, so is that counted as a sale? Probably

16. Erthazus

I call BS

Or Japan is hard at buying these things.

17. Hellequin

oh my god… people are soo stupid…

If u are a xbox fanboy keep believing that vg247 are laying on this. But i received same PR from sony im my email… keep you fagness to yourself… Move was a sucess, can you believe or not, stop posting the same shit over and over in comments please.

18. dylanspronck

“BOOM!”
    - Kevin Butler, VP of BOOMing Sales

19. OrbitMonkey

@8 It works well with resi5 then? I’m very tempted by that, but don’t want something that feels tacked on.

20. DaMan

once again I overestimated the internet’s collective IQ.

clearly an ‘/s’ at the end of that post was necessary.

21. dylanspronck

@VG247, Why is Kinect sold 2.5 million featured on top of the page, but Move sold 4.1 million not? Xbox fans at VG247?

22. Gekidami

Wait, where did Sony announce this? In a press release?

23. Joe Anderson

@22 Yeah in a press release and its says sold not shipped.

24. Razor

But it doesn’t say sold, and neither does it say shipped…it just says “sales”. That’s open to interpretation I think.

25. cookiejar

In that case, nice one Sony. Its a great product. Just need some killer games next year.

26. OrbitMonkey

@21 Actually VG247 is a front for a sect of Cthulla worshipers who hope repeated stories about MS will awaken the many tentacled beast from its slumber in the dark beyond… Honest!

27. Johnny Cullen

*worships photo of Don Mattrick*

28. G1GAHURTZ

It’s official! Sony has won the HD console war!

It’s finally over!!

29. CaptPierce

I though Kinect had this one – being advdertised at half a billion with every piece of media out there and having a slightly larger install base. But by the end of the day, quality > quantity everytime. I’ve tried Move and loved it, and getting one this Chirstmas. Kudos to Sony on this one. :)

30. Michael O’Connor

*sets up a stand for people to pick up their own free tin-foil hats whenever they desire*

31. DaMan

@29 I thought Kinect has been out for a month, and Move launched in September?

32. dirigiblebill

As somebody pointed out to me on FB, it doesn’t specify *who* those 4.1 million units have been sold to. Consumers? Retailers? Martians? A mix of all three? :)

I’m sure plenty of people are buying, either way. I’d like to see Move do well. Red Steel 3 on PS3 pls.

33. NeoSquall

I purchased a PS3 Move bundle last week and I’m pretty much satisfied with the move itself, a bit less about the lack of proper gaming software since European bundles only got a lame demo disc instead of Sports Champions like US has. Neverthless I’m having my fun with these demos and I’m considering buying a second Motion controller (I’m not sure I’ll ever need a Navigation controller before I get Killzone 3) and Sports Champions and beat the crap out of my Wii-using cousin this Christmas :]

34. M2Kx

OMG we’re doomed! First 2.5 million kinect sold and now this! Shipped or sold who cares? It’s terrifying…

35. The Hindle

Move has sold 4.1m, Kinect has sold 2.5m end off. No discrediting no playing it down both have been a success.

36. itsucks

Ha ha, they can’t put the money where their mouth is, Shipped to retailers isn’t sold, dumbasses.

37. Mike W

It amazes me how stupid you can be sometimes. It’s obvious you don’t have a PS3 (you probably don’t even have a 360, seeing how you are always trolling this site) so why the fuck do you care how many units the Move sold?

In any case, I tip my hat to Sony and Microsoft good job on both products.

38. datamonkey

@3 – How did you work that out?

39. keyvan812

so where is the link to press release ?!

40. OrbitMonkey

@30 is that Sony branded tin foil?

41. dylanspronck

It says “The number includes sales tallied in North America, Europe/PAL territories, Asia, and Japan and does not account for sales of stand-alone PlayStation Eye cameras or PlayStation Move navigation controllers. “

42. mortiferus

How is this shocking to anyone? it’s not like Move is priced at $149.00 like Kinect, I am more shocked that Kinect sold that many units given it’s high price.

43. keyvan812

There we go !! , It is 4.1 million units of Move Shipped not sold ! , “engadget” says so.
    link: http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/30/sony-ships-4-1-million-playstation-move-controllers-to-retailers/

44. ByloBoy

@ 7

Pardon me if I’m wrong, but the country that truly loves motion gaming should be the U.S. I mean, Nintendo has made such huge sales of the Wii in the land of hopes and dreams.

PlayStation is more popular as a brand in Europe than Xbox, and therefore I find it very logical that Sony ships the Move relatively more to Europe.

45. DSB

The interesting thing isn’t really shipped versus sold or how big the saturation is right now in my opinion. I’m more interested in where those gadgets are gonna go once the initial excitement wears off.

Right now people are buying both because they’re new, but they still haven’t proven whether they’re actually worth it in the end.

46. ivycrew707

Well as a seller you would have more “shipped” to you because you’ve “sold” what you have…until the end of the holidays the numbers for both Move and Kinect will be about right by the time the buying dies down.

47. Vistrix

It doesn’t matter if its shipped numbers or sold to consumer numbers.

The fact is, Sony have sold 4.1 million units of Move. Thats all that matters…

48. dirigiblebill

Shipped not sold, innit.

49. Mike

haha

Fucking amateurs.

50. Razor

So dumb for Sony to do this. If the sell-through numbers were anything to shout about, they’d release them.

51. Johnny Cullen

Christ almighty. Consider this fixed.

Fucking nora.

52. cookiejar

@51 On here, they won’t stop until theres blood :D

53. Mike

54. Johnny Cullen

I’m so going to bed.

55. Kalain

Whats Nora done to deserve that outburst. She’s probably crying over he mug of Ovaltine now.. :P

56. Anders

You’d think that they could’ve written that in the press release.

57. NeoSquall

@45 “It would be interesting to see which gadget is the easier and more cost-effective to develop for, and how that will impact developers.”

It’s easy to note that Kinect is already a dumbed down version of what has been showed at E3 2009 and who knows what they’ll have to strip from it to further lower its price (PS3 is the prime example) before the technology itself becomes cheaper to produce.

58. G1GAHURTZ

What’s this??

JUST SHIPPED??

It’s official! Microsoft have won the HD console war (again), and Sony are just a bunch of spinsters!

Who says gamers are fickle?

59. sg1974

I see GIGAHURTZ is back flaimbaiting the ps3 news articles again. People complain about other’s but at least they try to make a contribution to debates

60. G1GAHURTZ

No, that’s your problem. You don’t see anything.

Just your delusional fanboy based paranoia causing an inability in your narrow mind to see a simple light joke.

Your hypersensitivity to comment #58 (but not #28) is amusing.

61. sg1974

I see GIGAHURTZ is back calling everyone a fanboy again. People complain about other’s but at least they try to make a contribution to debates

62. Jan

I would really like to see how many they sold, its easy to say they ship that many since there is many retailer out there.

63. Michael O’Connor

To be frank, if Sony or Microsoft ever want these to be hugely successful alternatives to the Wii, they’re going to have to start shipping them with their consoles by default.

64. Gadzooks!

I’d say it’s a given that Move and Kinect, or evolutions of them, will come as basic kit for the next round of consoles.

I would also expect Move/Kinect bundles to start replacing standalone console boxes, in much the same way that motionplus is pretty much standard now in Wii boxes.

65. DrDamn

Yeah I’d like to see better value bundle deals from both MS & Sony on consoles but I think they are both precursors to full inclusion in new consoles in a couple of years. The Move stuff I can see implemented in a linked/detachable main controller – though not sure what will be done with the ball bits. Kinect somehow being incorporated into a single box which is the console too is a possibility – throws up it’s own problems but there are ways and means.

66. Gadzooks!

Kinect will not come built into the console housing itself, if that is what you are suggsting.

Sold in the box with console as one packaged product, yes, but the sensor would still be separate.

67. OlderGamer

I agree with two points:

Neither Move nor Kinect offer much in terms of value. Their prices are too high and they lack worthy pack ins.

Secondly if they want this to sell, they need to be packed in with the said systems, AT NO EXTRA COST.

Otherwise the Wii simply looks more atractive and is priced better.

And now, after playing all three(Wii, Move, Kinect) I can honestly say there is little difference in the experiences they offer. They are all gimmick based distractions. Novelties at best. Imo, of course.

68. DrDamn

That was what I was suggesting. There are obviously some boundaries to that, maybe if we were talking more than a couple of years down the line. Do away with the optical drive cut down the internals a little and it’s feasible isn’t it? Ok it’s a bit out there but conceptually quite nice.

69. Gadzooks!

That wont happen, for several reasons:

1) Kinect is motorised.
    2) Sensitive opticals would not work well in a housing with fans and drives (HDD and they would not do away with the optical drive)
    3) Kinect works best at eye level.

I can see Kinect shrinking down considerably in future iterations, but it will always be a connectable peripheral.

70. cookiejar

They’ve still ‘Moved’ an extremely decent amount, though.

Sorry, had to :D