Mark Wahlberg confirms role in Uncharted film

Wednesday, 24th November 2010 15:54 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

marymark

Mark Wahlberg has confirmed he will be cast in David O. Russell’s movie version of Uncharted.

The director, who apparently likes Wahlberg enough to cast him in his Three Kings and The Fighter flicks has also apparently gotten the actor to agree to play Nathan Drake.

Wahlberg has confirmed Russell has started writing the movie and had this to say on the matter: “David is one of the best writer/directors I’ve ever worked with. The idea that he has is just insane. So hopefully we’ll be making that movie this summer.”

The actor also confirmed the rumor that Joe Pesci and Robert De Niro are being courted for the film.

“That’s who he wants to write the parts for,” he said. “I talked to Pesci about it and I know David’s people have talked to [Robert De Niro]. I’m obviously in whatever David wants to do, but the idea of it is so off the charts: De Niro being my father, Pesci being my uncle. It’s not going to be the watered-down version, that’s for sure.”

Funnily enough, neither an uncle or father came into play in either PS3, game so who knows what the hell else O’Russell has planned for the movie that falls outside the Uncharted cannon.

Watch the video of Wahlberg discussing the Uncharted film below, courtesy of MTV.

1. Freek

Well, this is going to be terrible and/or have nothing to do with the game what so ever. :(
    Wasted oportunity.

2. Suikoden Fan

max payne is nathan drake?…………..that explains nothing

3. triggerhappy686

i like Wahlberg, but hes definitely not Nathan Drake :(

4. Stephany Nunneley

This makes me a very sad panda.

5. KAP

You fucking serious?! Like Max Payne was enough of a flop an a half uh?

6. CaptPierce

I like Walhberg (Happening can go die though), but I don’t think Drake was fit for someone to be played by such a serious actor like him. Mark’s film range to straight up action-dramas to crime thillers.

7. rainer

Yeah bad choice, Mark Wahlberg is a decent actor but not a particularly likable one, he lacks that level of charm required for Drake’s character.

8. triggerhappy686

i REALLY wanted nathan fillion for the part, im surprised how sad this makes me :((

9. EscoBlades

Going to be as overhyped as the game…..

*yawn*

10. Dr.Ghettoblaster

11. DSB

@2 Max Payne is going tropical though…

That leaves the question, does Max Payne emulate Mark Wahlberg or does Mark Wahlberg emulate Max Payne? You decide!

12. Patrick Garratt

Woo! – http://cdn3.iofferphoto.com/img/item/770/015/11/4aiI70lIdGqGFFA.jpg

13. Bikki

He was good in The Departed, but i’m not sure about this role.

14. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I don’t know why that can’t just use Nolan North:

Or Hugh Jackman:

15. theevilaires

OMFG SONY you dumb mother fuckers what are you doing! Did you not learn anything from that stupid Last Airbender movie. I’m sick and tired ass holes ruining the greatest things just because they want to steal a few more millions.

16. Erthazus

I thnk he is a good actor, but it depends on the director really i think.

17. Crysis

He just doesn’t look the part, he doesn’t have that ‘charm’ about him that makes Nathan Drake, Nathan Drake.

18. StolenGlory

Nathan Fillion for Drake or NO. FUCKING. SALE.

19. Howie Feltersnatch

^(#14)
    Hugh Jackman is a DEAD FUCKING RINGER.

WTF?!

20. pukem0n

what happened to nathan fillion? hes the absolute best choice for the role

21. Man_s

Why do we keep getting our hopes up I wonder…

22. Thalius

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…
    Marky Mark realllllllyy????
    Just got a fealing in the pit of my stomage this movie is gonna suck now. How long does Mark Wahlberg makes a GREAT movie not good but Great???
    Uncharted deserves the best and Mark isnt the best IMO.

23. KingCancer

HE WAS REALLY GOOD IN THE MAX PAYNE MOVIE.

24. Yoshi

PROOF THIS FILM WILL SUCK
    “So hopefully we’ll be making THAT movie this summer.”

25. Gekidami

All hope for this movie is lost. This guy is crap at his job.

26. orakaa

Oh boy… I’m really starting to be scared for the result : Uncharted, even modified/adapted for a movie HAS the potential to be the new Indiana Jones of this generation.

But Mark Walberg ? I really like this actor, but he REALLY doesn’t fit what appeals to Nathan Drake.

Nathan Fillion would be just PERFECT, or even Hugh Jackman (although not my first choice).
    I was afraid they wouldn’t go for Fillion as he might not be “bankable enough”… but even Walberg isn’t that bankable (Max Payne was a PAIN, period)

27. Patrick Garratt

Seems like a popular choice.

28. Stephany Nunneley

@13 I agree. He was really, really good in Departed (which is a GREAT film IMO), and while I didn’t like The Perfect Storm as much as a lot of folks apparently did – I thought he did a good job in that as well. I even liked him in Max Payne (and I liked the movie well enough as I went in with an open mind ignoring the fact it was based on a game).

However, he just doesn’t exude suave and swashbuckling characteristics like one would expect the person playing Nathan Drake to ooze in abundance.

29. PwnedHaxor

I would rather see Gerard Butler do the role, he kinda looks like him too:
    FIXED

30. Yoshi

@29 broken link
    But yeh I agree, I would rather Gerard than Mark.

31. theevilaires

Departed was good I give him that!

But enough fucking said after this link:

This guy is too short to play Drake what is he 5’7-5’8 tops. I’ll step on this shrimp. As much as I’m getting tired of that Australian douce, Hugh Jackman seems like the right guy.

But like I said check out the link and you’d see why this is a bad choice. I rather see this fool play sackboy in a LBP movie :D

32. Aimless

I’d rather have a CGI movie starring the original voice cast that maintained the visual style of the games. I imagine it would be cheaper to make, too.

33. Anders

He lacks the charm necessary to pull Nathan Drake off. Unless they plan to change him into the muscly, no bullshit type, that is.

34. Dr.Ghettoblaster

@32. That’s a REALLY good idea actually

35. PwnedHaxor

@30 Fixed:

36. OrbitMonkey

Hmmmm…. Everything that’s being said about Mark Wahlberg was said about Daniel Craig when he was chosen for Bond & look how that turned out. Hope Mark hits it out the park, only time will tell.

37. M2Kx

I like him, but he destroyed max payne :/

38. theevilaires

Who gives a crap about James Bond except you euros. The rest of the world is so sick of the whole Bond theme. Like I said watch the link I put up there. Enough said.

39. Hunam

Least we didn’t give the world Mark Wahlberg.

40. Anders

@35 Gerard Butler would actually be a pretty good fit. Quality actor, well built and appropriately witty.

41. OrbitMonkey

Lol, sooo many hurt feelings out there! Seriously though what did you guys expect? If this movie is only seen by people who’ve played the game it will flop hard. It needs to appeal to a much wider audience & Mark is a recognised face. Keep optimism people, this could be good :D

42. Shubb9

@38 rest of the world being America I take it?
    Wahlberg has no personality beyond a scowl and a dearth of acting talent. Gerard Butler looks the part but his american accent is atrocious. Fillion has the charm but is not a box office draw (‘cept to the Firefly faithful, all 15 of us). Anybody think the film isn’t doomed?

43. guapo

Max payne was a terrible movie, but not because of mr.wahlberg. The writing was horrible.

44. Stephany Nunneley

@38 Tea, I want to reach into the monitor slap you! :D

Leave Bond out of this! He is just as big of an icon here in the States as he is in the UK. You might not be old enough to appreciate him is all.

45. Moonwalker1982

It’s the same with the Hitman movie. Why oh why don’t they just case David Bateson instead of Timothy Olyphant…stupid as hell.

46. Mike

I like Wahlberg, especially in The Departed.

47. Mike

Anyway, the franchise was never strong enough to carry a film spin-off.

48. Gekidami

I heard that Stephany was cast as a Bond girl, but in the end Ursula Andress got the role. :P

49. Stephany Nunneley

@48 and you would be correct! :D :D

50. Talyis

Nathan Fillion or Jenson Ackles? I can’t believe there going with Mark Wahlberg. It’s like they want the movie to fail Naughty Dog and Sony need to do something about this!

51. OrbitMonkey

Wonder who’ll they’ll get to play Elana? Jessica Alba? That’d be nice :D

52. DJ Deathstar

Mark “the tree” Wahlberg how awesome, i must say wooden is definately a quality i’d look for in a movies lead character!

53. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Hollywood killed Max Payne. And they’re about to do it again to Uncharted. Shame.

54. Quiiick

Mark Wahlberg as Nathan Drake: Great choice! :)

Thank god it’s not Nathan Fillion. *phew*

55. OrbitMonkey

^ Lol, as much as I like Nathan, he was NEVER gonna picked. If Mark drops out I’d like to see Bradley Cooper as Drake, Liam Neeson as Sully & during the adventure they hook up with a crazy pilot & a black mechanic with a bad attitude… Wait a minute…

56. The_Red

Now if only they could get Mo’nique for Elena’s role and this would be the bestest casting for an adaptation ever.

57. The Hindle

The only postive thing coming out of this is the two Uncharted games could get a PR boost.

58. Dr.Ghettoblaster

my bad, previous comment was already in original article! lol

59. OrbitMonkey

Yep, wonder who’ll be Sully?

60. The_Red

Eddie Murphy would be perfect for this cast although I hear Rob Schneider is interested as well.

61. BluMag

Isn’t Josh Holloway better ?
    I feel there is connection between
    Nathan and him .. they’re funny and crazy ?

62. Gekidami

I think anyone would be better then Mark Wahlberg, he dosnt fit the bill at all.

63. Kuwabara

wtf… everyone wants to see nathan fillion, …….

64. cookiejar

Rubbish. Brian Blessed totally should of gotten this role.

65. tontsa91

This HAS to be a joke. That’s all I have to say. He already ruined Max Payne.

66. OrbitMonkey

^ That’s unfair. The blame shouldn’t rest solely on Mr Wahlberg. He didn’t write, direct and produce it on his own. Max Payne was bad & no actor could have saved it. With a good script & direction Wahlberg does good. Just look at The Departed.

67. osric90

He didn’t ruin anything, it’s the directos. And you have David O. Russel here, so mess with him. And no one wanted Fillon for Drake, waht the hell? It’s wrong as hell. Anyway, no secret… Well all knew that Uncharted movie was going to be a SHIT. Maybe ND needed the money to budget the next game.

68. back_up

Tom cruise would have been better choice