PlayStation Eye: Look back video shows how the camera has progressed

Wednesday, 3rd November 2010 19:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

pseye

Sony has released a video talking about PlayStation Eye and how it has changed since its release on market seven years ago.

According to SCEA’s senior researcher, Richard Marks, EyeToy helped Sony understand that “people definitely enjoy physical interaction and movement, they also want precise control and a simple, fast, reliable way to trigger actions”.

“We also found that some experiences just feel more natural when holding a tool, or a prop,” he stated on the US PS Blog. “Seven years later, we’ve introduced PlayStation Move, which we think is the ideal combination of both spatial and action/button input.

“We here at PlayStation are always looking for ways to enhance the gamers’ experience and we’re looking forward to the new experiences PlayStation Move will enable over the next 10 years.”

Hard to believe the camera is that old, honestly.

Watch the video below.

1. Syrok

Not at all timed to almost coincide with the launch of a certain other glorified camera that will most likely end up being only slightly more useful than this one. :)

PS: There is a typo in the fourth line. ;)

2. Michael O’Connor

@1 There’s a typo in your second and fourth line.

@video This is nothing more than a glorified attempt at insulting the Kinect. Fail.

3. Syrok

/second language excuse card

^.^

PS: Pretty bad spelling on my part there actually. :D

4. theevilaires

#1 stop it before the duo comes in here too and defends that other “over priced glorified” camera.

EDIT: oh shit too late :D

5. Erthazus

:lol: speechless.

Its just a coincidence

6. Michael O’Connor

@4 Considering I *own* a Move… you’re talking through your ass.

As usual.

7. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Just wish the camera had a higher resolution. Looks like shit on HDTV’s.

8. freedoms_stain

@2, raises some valid points though. Success?

9. mathare92

The PS Eye did release on November 4, 2003 so I still think Sony would have released this video whether Kinect was launching tomorrow or not, although it’s pretty clear they’re trying (and failing imo) to convince people that Kinect will fail.

Still, I think Richard Marks deserves to be considered right up there with all the rest of the industry’s pioneers, for his work on motion control.

10. cookiejar

Insult away I say. I love competition.

11. Michael O’Connor

@8 Not really, no.

Moving your hands around to select a menu button is only tiring and exhausting if you’re a fat, lazy gamer who never exercises.

…now that I look at it that way, no wonder so many gamers hate the idea of the Kinect!

12. theevilaires

@6 you have a serious brain issue you need to fix fast.

@7 I know what you mean I just bought M$’s 1080p LifeCam Studio Webcam and Logitech’s 1080p HD pro webcam C910 and the higher resolution is Heaven.

I soon found myself wishing SONY would release a 1080p web cam for PS3…or even PS4. As pricey as NATAL is I guess it can do a 1080p vid chat too right? Or are they gonna fuck over their consumers as usual.

13. cookiejar

@12 HD Skype calling on PS3 would be pretty good.

14. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I don’t think Sony’s trying to imply Kinect will “fail” as some of you are stating, rather simply that they’ve been there done that technology years ago (albeit to a lesser degree).

15. freedoms_stain

@11, the exact word he used was “tiresome” connotations of boring/irritating/cumbersome/annoying rather than physically taxing or tiring. One of us has the wrong end of the stick and my money is on you.

Given the length of time it seems to take Kinect to register selections over say a gamepad or Wii-style point and click, I’m gonna say VALID.

The dude mentions running up against gameplay limitations using only the body. So far this also seems to be pretty valid, although time will tell.

Precision/responsiveness? From what I’ve played of Kinect lag is an issue. Valid?

16. Michael O’Connor

@15 No. The latest build I played (about two weeks ago, so likely printed copies running existing firmware) had no noticeable lag issues.

17. freedoms_stain

@16, played it on Saturday. It lagged.

18. Holesome

A perfectly timed counter attack to the Kinect release at midnight tonight.

Some of the points he makes could be correct to some extent. Kinect will not be a solution to replace controllers and will not fit as a solution for all games and game types. However, the hybrid of controller and Kinect may well be the counter to most/all of Playstation Eye and Move’s key features.

In my view the reason Sony never succeeded at making the Playstation Eye a hit may be due to many of the following reasons (in no particular order):
    – not enough target marketting
    – wrong timing…customer base was not ready for this change. the wii really set motion control as a working and adopted standard
    – sony marketting did not push the Playstations Eye to the forefront
    – not integrated into the PS3 dashboard as an alternative control method (prior to Move)
    – not a complete and standardized development api. available even to indie developers
    – not a full multi-skeletal tracking system at it’s core.
    – not flexabile enough in the base development set to allow developers to produce viable solutions without extensive custom coding
    – not a transparent drop-in/drop-out real-time player recognition solution.
    – not including a reliable voice recognition as a standardized development solution
    – + more

Please correct me where I may be wrong.

With all that said I think timing is everything and possibly this is where MS may be successfull with Kinect. It seems the target market for Kinect is primed and ripe for this new device.

19. Psychotech

are we accusing Sony for counter attacking Microsoft now?
    go back and observe how many times Microsoft did the same thing and tried to steal some thunder.Get over it guy this is business

20. Gekidami

Except we havent even seen so much as a tech demo showing a hybrid of controller/Kinect gameplay…

21. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Some people have a lot invested in these products…..lol.

22. sg1974

23. lexph3re

Nice find but we will the real specs come launch for a true comparison

24. NoxNoctisUmbra

I bet 80% of Kinect games could use simple 50 dollar EYE TOY.

So far in Kinect games All I see is simple speech recognition, but that is software depening on game, and simple body movements, both legs and arms, and head. Something PS EYE can do as well.

Kinect could be good, but 150 dollars that is mostly software based, you have to be a retard to believe in it and buy one. I would buy one if its up to 80 bucks, because it has few more cams and cams.

25. itsucks

The Damage Control levels are so Good. Desperation Time.

Phd Doctor my ass, more like butthurt BS.

26. Crysis

@25, just STFU, noone likes you, grow up before you start posting here ever again, you know that your life is sad when you feel the urge to defend a multibillion dollar corpoation all the time, seriously-go get a fucking life.
    P.S. noone other than imbeciles & borderline retards use the word ‘butthurt’, any referance to rape is just pathetic.

27. Blerk

Heh heh, was there really anyone at all who didn’t see this coming? I’d have been much more surprised if they hadn’t done this.