First “PSP phone” pictures, specs branded “fake”

Wednesday, 27th October 2010 06:26 GMT By Nathan Grayson

pspphone_2

Sony has reportedly told NowGamer the PS phone shots that emerged overnight are “definitely fake”.

Engadget posted a whole mess of PSP phone info through dark and mysterious means, pictures included.

The device appeared to be the spitting image of its beautiful yet brainless cousin, the PSPgo – sans horrifically uncomfortable analog nub. It also featured a touch pad in the center, which was apparently multi-touch enabled.

Specs were reported thus: a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655, 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM, and a screen that looks to be between 3.7 to 4.1 inches.

The PSP, by comparison, has a 333MHz processor and 32MB of RAM.

If you’ll remember, the first concrete info on a PS phone was unearthed back in August, when it was revealed that it’ll be Android-based and have its own section of the Android marketplace.

Just goes to show.

1. Rosseu

(A)Enter (B)Back

lol…

2. Razor

Remember…prototype.

3. Gekidami

Looks like an LG interface…

4. Rosseu

Sure

5. Freek

Yeah, that looks ugly enough to be real.

6. manamana

Why does a portable gameconsole must also be a mobile-camera-filofax? Just give me a damned powerful portable playstation and make it under 200€, so that it sells like hot butter.

But no, now that they’ll have a jack of all trades device, they can charge a minimum of 399€, because they think like, oh, Apple charges a lot for their products, so do we.

I just hope that its a early, rough prototype, but something tells me, that this is the shiet. From the looks of it, it’s a beefed up PSPgo. It’s not that bad, but it’s not stellar either.

At least I’m glad its got two analognu… a touchpad…oh,well.

7. Patrick Garratt

I don’t know why they didn’t do this years ago. A PSP go with a phone in it would have made total sense. I’m sure it doesn’t for some business reason, but the fact there isn’t a phone on the market that plays PlayStation games is beyond me.

8. manamana

Right. Years ago. But now everyone(…) has at least two phones and one that plays games. Another phone that plays games? Yawn. At least its android, then.

Edit: thinking about it – for PSgames on the go – I would buy anything.

9. Freek

It has to do with the fact that Sony is a fractured company where every divission pretty much hates each other.
    The fact that they are finally getting thier act together, doing 3D, doing a PSP Phone, is nothing short of a miracle.

10. Callum

Hmm, the devs who did Ghost of Sparta said the maxed that console out, and they had it looking like the PS2 version right?
    If those specs are true…damn you could get some nice looking stuff on that phone :)

11. Blerk

Separated at birth: PSP Phone and Johnny 5!

12. Johnny Cullen

I’M NOT A MACHINE, BLERK! *runs off crying*

13. Patrick Garratt

Updated. It’s bullshit.

14. Blerk

Hurrah! :-D

15. freedoms_stain

@10, even if this is bullshit those specs will have to be close to the truth because those are the recommended specs for Android 3.0 which the PSphone has been rumoured to run on.

Actually nothing special for a modern phone anyway. My HTC Desire matches those specs and it’s an early 2010 model.

16. poopoofruits

dont keep it android os : (

17. Michael O’Connor

People actually fell for this? Dear god.

The screen image is a bad copy paste job from the Android OS. In fact, I have the very clock shown in that picture on my Samsung Galaxy.

And Engadget, which is *supposed* to be knowledgeable about this sort of stuff, were actually stupid enough to think this was real? Wow…

18. freedoms_stain

PSphone is supposed to run on Android, so why wouldn’t it have an Android lockscreen?

19. Michael O’Connor

@18 The program displayed on that screen is an app you can download straight for the store. It’s an alarm program.

This is one of the worst mock-ups I’ve ever seen.

The options menu isn’t even consistent with what the Android’s option menu looks like.

20. el duderino

Nowgamer needs to get their shit together and you guys need to be more optimistic.Those asswipes over at nowgamer say they THINK this is fake.Both sony and sony ericsson denied to comment bla bla bla.I haven’t read SHIT about sony denying the device itself.Please think twice before quoting a nobody site.

oh and by the way,haven’t anyone thought that this might be a prototype? my goooood.So much bullshit going on people’s minds these days.Just because it has today’s technology doesn’t mean that it’s a ”mock-up failure”

21. M2Kx

“So much bullshit going on people’s minds these days”

:D

22. freedoms_stain

@19, so? They downloaded it from the market. It’s an Android phone.

And it doesn’t matter if the options menu doesn’t look like stock Android, Android can be skinned, my phone runs HTC Sense and it doesn’t look like the stock either.

Not saying it isn’t fake, just that your reasoning is off.

23. Michael O’Connor

@22 Still wrong. The app doesn’t look like that. The basic design of the app is there, but it doesn’t have those buttons on the right hand side. Also, the screen is at least 20% too long in width.

Also, what would be the point of those buttons and dpad if it’s running on an Android system, whose Market is open to all devices running the OS? How the hell does the PlayStation brand name fit into an approach like that?

24. freedoms_stain

Wait, so now this generic looking clock is not exactly (as previously implied) the same as a generic looking clock available on the market, but merely similar. Generic white font clock app.

20% too long huh? Seen a real PSphone then?

The extra buttons would be for the PSphone exclusive games available through the separate PSphone game market.

25. el duderino

What’s up nowgamer,what’s up you little faggots?! Dipshits! http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/27/the-playstation-phone-is-still-real/

26. cookiejar

I think this is actually it.

But the real question is, would this be the only device? Or will there be a PlayStation Phone AND a PSP 2?

27. manamana

I’m still with engadget – they are the best. And yes, I hope there will be a PSP2 also, but I wouldn’t make a bet on this.

28. cookiejar

Yeah Engadget have a fairly decent record. I’ve no reason to doubt this isn’t it.

But if it is, and its running Android (the best OS for it IMO), then I hope we see Sony and Google partnering more with PlayStation. They could do wonders on the PS3 OS.