Netflix on PS3 goes disc-free next week

Thursday, 14th October 2010 14:54 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

netflixps3

PS3 owners who use Netflix will be pleased to know the service will go disc-free on the console this coming Monday, October 18.

Announced as going streaming in October back in July,  those using the service on PS3 have had to use Netflix discs since November last year with the promise of streaming coming in late 2010.

Well, that fateful day is coming soon, folks.

In addition to eliminating the disc, a new user interface will be implemented along with “a faster browsing experience, content search directly on the device, and dramatic improvements in how fast playback starts”.

It gets better though. Starting Monday users can instantly watch some movies and TV shows in 1080i high-def, listen to Dolby 5.1 channel surround sound, and view more content with subtitles.

Check out the video below for more details, courtesy of the US PS Blog.

1. ExclusivesMostly

Bout time!

2. spiderLAW

Movies and shows were already Hi-def.
    And yes, this is about damn time. Now i dont have to use my loud-ass Xbox for streaming Netflix. Xbox = Great for gaming, Xbox = Too damn loud for movie watching (have to have surround sound on, sucks when you have neighbors in apartments).

3. jacobvandy

Woohoo! No more having to swap out my game disc when I wanna watch something (which has made me use it less, I’m *that* lazy). And I’ve also already seen some stuff in “HD,” but who knows what resolution they meant by that, could’ve been 720p.

A better interface and speedier playback will be great, too.

4. onlineatron

I wish LoveFilm had Netflix’s range of movies.

5. NightCrawler1970

@4, this is ya lucky day, but ya have to wait 1 year…

read this….