Sony officially confirms LOVEFiLM PS3 partnership

Wednesday, 13th October 2010 11:45 GMT By Johnny Cullen

lovefilm

Sony’s officially confirmed UK rental service LOVEFiLM is coming to PS3.

The deal was outed earlier this week via a video that appeared on the PS3 YouTube channel.

The press release says the deal is “the most significant extension to date of LOVEFiLM’s direct-to-TV rollout” to date.”

“This is game-changing for LOVEFiLM and transformational for the UK home entertainment market as a whole,” said LOVEFiLM’s chief executive Simon Calver.

“PS3 already has a very large installed customer base of all ages, all of whom will soon be able to benefit from our unique combination of instantly available content, streamed through their PS3, as well as DVD, Blu-ray & Games rental by post.

To become PS3’s partner for our service is a tremendous endorsement of the value, choice and convenience offered by LOVEFiLM.”

“We know there is a huge interest within our audience for film, and so the addition of LOVEFiLM to our current range of services is a very natural fit and one which significantly enhances the value proposition of PlayStation 3,” SCE UK boss Ray Maguire.

“LOVEFiLM has a proven track record of success and innovation in the film distribution field and is a very welcome addition to the PlayStation family that I’m confident PlayStation gamers will embrace enthusiastically.”

The service will be available to view via the PS3′s XMB, and will be get all this as part of their subscription with current members. Those who aren’t LOVEFiLM members will be offered incentives to join, including free trials.

LOVEFiLM on PS3 will launch next month.

1. Blerk

Super news! I imagine there are a bunch of happy subscribers out there right now.

2. cookiejar

Yeah, I’ve been waiting ages for this. Good stuff.

3. get2sammyb

This is brilliant news. The app looks really cool too.

4. Whizzo

Other than some freebie TV episodes on their site I’ve not bothered using their on demand service even though I’m a Lovefilm subscriber. The prices are a bit too high for me, I’d rather wait for a disc in the post.

5. Petulant Radish

no mention of exclusivity bodes well for XBL as well then, hopefully anyway…

6. OlderGamer

There should be a Netflix remote option for Euros to stream the instant view on their Wiis, PS3s, and XB360s.

Not saying LoveFilm is a bad thing and won’t deliver. Just saying Netflix kicks butt and has been doing so for a couple of years+ now.

7. Callum

WTB this for my 360 please.

8. onlineatron

Is that Bill Nighy doing the VO?

In any case, this is FANTASTIC news… Something i’ve wanted since I saw Netflix on 360.

9. onlineatron

Few questions..

1) With my subscription I only get 4hrs of streaming online, will this be the same on PS3 or Unlimited?

2) Can you opt to pay for the extended catalogue of films (on the site there are some free and some that are pay for).

3) Why didn’t they rate Batman Begins as the 5star movie it is?!!!!

10. cookiejar

It could end up on 360 at sometime. Just over the last year or so, LoveFilm have worked a lot with Sony putting their streaming service on Bravia TV’s and Sony BD players, so this was an obvious step. Might be some sort of timed arrangement like Microsoft usually do.