Sony to stop distributing current PSP development kits in November

Thursday, 7th October 2010 14:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

psp3

SCEE has sent notice to developers it will no longer be selling current PSP development kits past November 15.

According to a notice sent to a Spanish distributor, via PSPgweber, SCEE will “no longer be selling the PSP development tool (dtp-t2000a) or testing tool (dtp-h2500a)” and those that are in need of the kits should order them in advance before November 15 hits. Sony will then advise developers when “a new model becomes available.”

We contacted SCEE regarding this new information and were told the certification on the current kits was due to expire.

“Due to the certification on the current development and test tools expiring, we will be stopping selling them on November 15,” said the SCEE rep. “However, we will continue to provide loan stock for registered and new developers, until a new certified model is available.”

The news is certain to fuel ongoing PSP2 rumors.

A developer has now openly claimed to have a dev kit in-house, and a source of ours has said the handheld will be released around holiday 2011, putting it later in the year than 3DS in March.

We’ll mail SCEA for comment as well.

1. cookiejar

The ball is rolling now.

2. Blerk

Gosh, I wonder why this could be? :-D

3. RETARDED VIKING

Ah well there goes the first nail on the coffin :( i had such fun times with it(SOBS)

4. Erthazus

@2 Because Blerk is not buying their system :D so they want to impress him and show at E3 something much better :D

5. cookiejar

Aye, she was a good little device. Played some great games on it, but it never got the lovin’ it deserved. Hoping for that little bit more from its successor.

6. Michael O’Connor

Well, if that doesn’t pretty much confirm the PSP2, nothing does.

I’m Surprised they’re cutting it off this soon though. Ah well, my lovely PSP had a strong run. Here’s to the future!

7. Johnny Cullen

They’re readying PSPgo 2 and not PSP 2, obviously.

8. RETARDED VIKING

@7 don’t even jinx us :D

9. Blerk

I’ve got a PSP, Erthazus!

10. Erthazus

@9 Oh jeez, fuck i failed. :D

I thought you have only Xbox 360 and Wii for your family.

11. Blerk

We have DS too! PS3′s the only console we don’t have.

12. reema

That’s interesting. Hopefully the line-up of PSP2 will be stronger than 3DS. Don’t get me wrong the 3DS line-up looks great, but it also looks like a port-fest.

13. Kuwabara

and u consider urself a serious gamer blerk?

14. Blerk

Well, excuse me for owning everything else. :-D

15. 2plus2equals5

Sony be smart. Give us a free version of the psp’s sdk and with the psp2 use the same policy of apple(3 sdk version: free, 99 dollars and 199 dollars).
    You will have only advantages…

16. Lord Gremlin

Everybody still have doubts PSP2 is launching this winter? It’s rock solid now. In stores this Christmas.

17. Omeganex9999

I wanna see this PSP2. And I hope it won’t be called PSP2.

18. lexph3re

Welp this is a bit of a let downer… well once psp2 drops ill be picking it up and modding my psp3000 to play the psone classics they never put out like legend of dragoon. And also every snes and genesis game I can find as well as 64 I’m going all out on my psp when they’re done developing for it

19. manamana

So the Ghost of Sparta is the big farewell party? Who have not thought of it, c’mon!?

20. Moonwalker1982

It didn’t get the loving because it didn’t deserve it at all. For some reason there just weren’t too many good games,only a few. And while the PSP Go looked like a nice handheld, that whole idea behind is was fucked up.