BioWare announces Dragon Age DLC – Witch Hunt

Wednesday, 25th August 2010 17:45 GMT By Johnny Cullen

dragonage24

BioWare’s announced another piece of story DLC for Dragon Age: Origins, known as Witch Hunt.

Danger: Origins’ end is spoiled below the fold.

According to the info via the game’s website, it’s been a year since the Archdemon was defeated, and now you’re going to have to find Morrigan in what the developer’s called the “dramatic conclusion to the Origins storyline.”

It’ll be available on September 7 – the same day as the new Mass Effect 2 DLC – for 560 MS/BioWare points and $6.99 on PSN.

You can get screens here.

Your Origins DLC well is about to run dry; Dragon Age 2 releases on March 11, 2011 on PS3, 360 and PC.

1. revolting

Personally I’m more than a little disappointed in this. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love Dragon Age and I love it’s seemingly endless stream of additional content. I’m more than pleased to see it being supported even after the DA2′s countdown is well under way.

What disappoints me is the topic of the content. For me, the fate of Morrigan and the deal you (optionally) make with her was one of the big, huge loose ends of DA:O, and I was really, really hoping it would be a major plot point for DA2, or more likely DA3 since DA2 overlaps with DA:O. To see such a potentially epic storyline (Morrigan and the kid would pretty much have been DA’s version of the Skywalkers father and son) essentially wasted as a small DLC pack is quite disappointing.

Ultimately, this was the only open-ended question remaining for me with the original Dragon Age story, and I was hoping it would be a major plot device as the story progresses with each installment… now I’m wondering just how much continuity and connection there will be between the games. Little, apart from the setting, it seems.

2. freedoms_stain

I think I’ll be waiting for GOTY editions of games like this in the future…

3. Phoenixblight

Bioware said that choice is not cannon take it for what you will.

4. Michael O’Connor

@1 Maybe there still will be a connection. I’m still convinced that Hawke is going to going to be that child, or at least some descendent.

I expected this story thread to be continued into a latter game, but I’m still curious to find out happens. I’ll definitely be buying this.

5. Hunam

@1 & 3

That choice was the best part of the endgame, it was a great endpoint to the story and made the prospect of a sequel more interesting. Morrigan as a character was as important as your main character, the fact that Bioware aren’t treating it as such and pawning it off as a small DLC is just another box ticked on my list of grievances with Bioware losing the plot lately.

Really not looking forward to anything they’re working on at the moment.

Hawke was actually alive during the entire of DA:O, so it’s not him.

6. Michael O’Connor

Really? Where did you hear that? *goes to research*

Pity.

7. The Hindle

Ive just read Eurogamers preview on DA 2 and it sounds pretty awesome so far, i couldnt get into the first DA too PC for my liking but the sequel sounds more of a console rpg. Also off topic slightly but the Shadow broker dlc thats just been announced is the first dlc thats going to tie in with Me 3. i read it on a forum.

8. Hunam

The press release when they first announced it. He is a refugee from the very first town you get to in Dragon Age, Lothering, which eventually gets sacked by the Dark Spawn.

9. Michael O’Connor

Ah. Screw that, who reads those? *laughs*

But yeah, you’re right. Damn, I would have liked if it had gone in that direction.

10. b163oi

Is this game worth checking out, I don’t know anything about it. Somebody let me know p_q

11. Hunam

Me too, but nope, the one hope I had for DA2 is now cheap DLC. Least it saves me £25 on DA2 though, which I guess is a win?

12. Michael O’Connor

@10 If you like traditonal western RPGs like Baldurs Gate, the easy answer is… HELL YES!

13. b163oi

@12 appropriate it

14. DJ Deathstar

@Most people who have commented

Just because you go in search of Morrigan doesn’t mean that everything is going to be answered in this DLC, i’m sure they have plans for Morrigan and the baby further down the line. As the press release says, it has a Dramatic conclusion so perhaps there is a cliffhanger ending which will be explained later.

This is most likely going to be the last DLC anyways as the game currently has achievements of 1650 and this will likely add 100 like Golems and Liliana’s Song which will take it to the max of 1750

15. Hunam

DLC dictated by Achievements?

Jesus Wept.

16. LordCancer

@2 i as well.

17. LOLshock94

those pics makedragon age look good

18. DJ Deathstar

@Hunam

I don’t think its DLC dictated by Achievements, i think its that Bioware plan the achievements around the dlc, i think they decide on the amount of DLC their going to release and then split the achievements accordingly

19. Uncontested

@17 Dragon age does look good if you dont have a shit PC. If you’re playing it on console well frankly.. youre doing it wrong.

20. onlineatron

Dragon Age Spoiler: THE MAIN EVIL IS DEFEATED, SHOCKER!

21. LOLshock94

yeah sadly im playing on the xbox

22. Phoenixblight

“The Warden heads into the forest to find out and tie up this last loose end once and for all.”

Right from Bioware itself.