Respawn’s Vince Zampella and Jason West at QuakeCon – not very much happened

Friday, 13th August 2010 16:50 GMT By Johnny Cullen

respawn

Following on from Todd Hollenshead and John Carmack’s DOOM 4-less QuakeCon keynote last night, ex-Infinity Ward bosses Vince Zampella and Jason West took to the Texan stage this morning to talk about making blockbuster games.

The execs’ QuakeCon panel today marked a first public appearance since their very public sackings as heads of the Modern Warfare developer in March.

Now heads of start-up Respawn Entertainment, Zampella and West are sitting alongside RAGE producer Tim Willits and Bethesda’s Todd Howard, talking about how to create monster games.

Our report’s below. Spoiler: they really did just talk about “teams” and review scores.

1. BULArmy

Can somebody explain to me what are they doing at QuakeCon?
    They have nothing to do with Bethesda or id.

2. xeren

They used licensed id tech for a long time, and their later engines were built on that tech. They also made really kickass FPS games that the id community loved.

Very curious to see what they announce, and if they can recreate the magic of IW’s CoD2, 4, and 6.

3. Erthazus

@1 They used ID Tech Engine 3 for a decade.

4. Patrick Garratt

We’re off. Ish. Should be starting very soon.

5. Erthazus

“Stephany: OOO! They’re playing some Metallica! ”

the name of the song? :D

6. KrazyKraut

West and Zamp…did they win the laswsuit against Actívision?

7. Johnny Cullen

@6 It’s been delayed into next May.

8. Stephany Nunneley

@5 It was Hit the Lights first and then Wherever I May Roam. awesome stuff, there.

9. onlineatron

So who’s actually at the event? Are you all?

10. DSB

Gotta agree with them on the journalism. I’ve been writing about music for the last six years or so, and music tends to attract a LOT of douchebags on all levels, but I’ve never seen anything like the gaming press.

Far too many egocentric lapdogs sucking up to the industry they’re covering, and they just have no idea how to write good copy.

VG247 excluded, obviously. You guys actually report stuff without fucking around. Kudos.

(Might need a bit more vetting on some of your stories, but I still love you)

@8 Gay.

11. KrazyKraut

k, thanks for the info mate!

12. Johnny Cullen

@9 Nathan is. Me, Steph and Pat are watching it on the QuakeCon website.

We’re providing back-up to Nathan, basically.

13. Stephany Nunneley

@10 No, not gay. Totally fist in the face awesome. ;)

14. DSB

@13 Aw man, I just clenched my toes at that.

Metallica don’t do fist in the face awesome, it would totally ruin their 30,000 dollar facials, and they might get blood on their DKNY.

I guess to their credit it wasn’t all post-Justice, but I just still don’t get it. The Bay Area had a lot better punches to throw. It just makes me Metal Thrashing Mad, you know?

15. LOLshock94

why these guys just talk verbal diarrhea im sick of them always talking trash

16. Stephany Nunneley

@14 – They have lost their way. Agreed. They lost it long ago. BUT – Kill ‘Em All was an awesome album. No denying. ;)

17. DSB

@16 Fair ’nuff. “Kill ‘em All” slays, but they totally left speed metal behind after that one album. Beyond that I just have serious Metallica allergies.

It probably comes down to digging speed over thrash, and while my thrasher buddies love ‘em some mid-80′s Metallica, it just does absolutely nothing for me. I always thought bands like Dark Angel or Artillery were leagues beyond those guys.