Mafia II demo now available on PSN, XBL and Steam

Tuesday, 10th August 2010 11:10 GMT By Johnny Cullen

mafiaII

2K’s sent out word the Mafia II demo is now available on all formats.

For anyone who has Live, you can queue it up here, while the PSN demo is available only for PlayStation Plus users.

It’ll be out for non-subs in the normal PS Store update tomorrow.

The taster sees you in a level called “Buzzsaw”, which takes place during “the summer of the 50s.” Joe and Henry are to take out a mob boss called “The Fat Man”.

Mafia II releases on August 27 in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC.

The demo will also allow you to explore an area of Empire Bay and the game’s general “vibrant, edge-of-your-seat action.”

1. mington

Awesome

few days old now but:

Mafia 2 review – 80% in PC Zone
    Friday 30-Jul-2010 4:09 PM 2K Czech’s gangster title “looks stunning”

The first verdict on 2K’s Mafia II is in – and PC Zone’s view is that, despite some annoying flaws, it’s still a winner.

The mag gives the Mafia title 80% in its new October (yes, bloody October) issue – which is with subscribers now.

The game’s major drawback, says Zone, is that it’s an ‘extremely linear driver and shooter’.

However, if you can get over that rather restrictive fact, there’s plenty to enjoy for those nostalgic for the Cosa Nostra’s days of US dominance.

The mag says that the dialogue is ‘fine, and extremely well acted’, adding that driving, ‘as you’d expect from the former Illusion Software [2K Czech], is great’.

It continues: ‘The collection of cars is great too – all timely models that damage so gently that you’ll try to take care of them.’

All aspects of the game are covered in Zone’s spectacular seven-page review – with more praise coming for the game’s weapons and action sequences, despite a slightly ‘cold’ storyline.

It adds: ‘Mafia II is 10 hours of driving, story and extremely competent gun action. Running at top specs, it looks stunning, and if there was a soundtrack album, I’d buy myself a copy.’

The October issue of PC Zone is in stores next week, and with subscribers today.

Mafia II is due for release on 360, PS3 and PC on August 27.

copied from:

2. mington

This sounds perfect for me, 10 hours of driving and shooting in a great looking game with a good story.

The last two games i’ve played have been full of long winded/boring side quests (The saboteur/Nier), i’m gagging for a well paced linear story driven title

3. Detale

Looking forward to trying this out.

I can’t believe those lucky PS+ bastards get it a whole DAY earlier. It’s so unfair, I think I’m going to write to my MP and complain.

4. Old MacDonald

Looks like you forgot to link to the Steam-version.

5. ShiroGamer

downloading

6. daytripper

pre-orded, liked the demo very much

7. DJ Deathstar

Game got a 7/10 from OXM UK, am downloading the demo at the moment, looking forward to trying it out

8. Yoshi

9. Crysis

so it’s not available a day earlier to PS+ users, regular PS users just get it a day late? ohwell, sure as hell beats Silver users on XBL not getting it at all

10. Hunam

Gah, working late tonight too :(

11. Yoshi

OMG i havnt even started the mission properly yet im just goin around at the start and this is sexy. There is a speed limiter you can use if you wanna go the same speed as the civvies!! Also don’t forget you can go to a clothes shop, gun store and a few other places in this demo!!! All i need now is some classic shades, ive got my suit with a hat ;D

12. DeSpiritusBellum

Zoinks! I gotta see this.

13. Windsmeare

Is ther a time limit on this demo, like for example the 30 minutes on the Crackdown 2 demo, as I bloody well hate that.

14. daytripper

cant believe OXM gave crackdown 2 8/10 and this a 7/10, the quality of the atmosphere alone is enough to beat that awful sequel rip off.

it says at the start of this demo that this mission wont be in the full game and was designed for demo purposes, makes a change.

15. Moonwalker1982

I also hear plenty of negative comments on other forums

-Plenty of framedrops
    -You can’t jump (this sucks cause i want to jump over walls and what not, when being chased by cops or enemies in general. And come on man…games like GTA and RDR have it, jumping needs to be in.

- When you shoot someone in the arm or leg, it doesn’t seem to make the reaction different. I love little details in games, and this is just a big bummer,cause again..GTA and RDR do have it. For a game that has aocording to the devs themselves; alot of detail…this is a letdown.

- No swimming? Come on now. I know its a heavily story based game but…..

I also hear enough positive comments, about the great atmosphere, except for jaggies outside the game looks very good. Great shootouts and music. I just hope thats gonna be enough. If the missions are great, then all these ‘shortcomings’ won’t really matter. We’ll see.

16. DJ Deathstar

Yeah i found not being able to jump a bit odd and also felt it was stupid not to see any different reaction from shooting a enemies hand to shooting him in the chest, that a couple of times i shot guys in the face point blank with the shotgun to no reaction lol. Did like the atmosphere and the music is awesome, looks pretty good though witnessed a few framerate hiccups

17. KAP

Just played the demo on PSN… EPIC

18. Happy Hardon Harry

Downloaded the PC version. It’s a good demo, i’ve got the game running at over 60fps, 16X AF and AA turned on. Awesome.

The game is day 1 material, for me anyway.

Also, the mouse & keyboard set-up is better than the 360 controller i found, as you have much more control over your character.

19. DeSpiritusBellum

I think combat, vehicle handling and cutscenes are really good, and the 1950s style is second to none, but when I was racing to my objective, a cop car started wailing and following me for speeding. That sort of thing annoys me to no end in a sandbox game. There’s no gameplay value in cops chasing you for speeding or running red lights.

Also had a bit of trouble with suspension on some of the cars, it’s like they’re running on rubber springs.

All in all though, I think this might be worth checking out.

@15 Demos tend to have a lot of bugs and glitches (ie framerate) these days. I don’t understand why developers don’t sort it out, but it usually doesn’t reflect the finished product.

20. Tallon 4

@ 19: Don’t you think that the demo’s are 99,9% the same as the game itself? I never saw many or even any improvements in the final product. The bugs and glitches will still be there.

21. DeSpiritusBellum

@20 I don’t know. My most recent example is trying the Just Cause 2 demo on PC and leaving the game in the dust because of framerate and control issues, it just seemed like a bad port.

Then it goes on sale and I do some research and people seem to be saying it’s a great port, so I give it a shot – And find that none of those issues are in the final game.

The ArmA II demo wouldn’t even run on my PC, but the final game does fine.

I know certain journalists are apprehensive about writing reviews based on preview builds, because it’s a lot different. Who knows?

22. onlineatron

While I appreciate that the demo goes up on PSN tomorrow as opposed to Live’s week long silver subscriber wait, it still annoys me that Sony is using FREE demoes as a PS+ incentive.

23. Aimless

@22 If Plus didn’t exist then the only difference would be that everyone would be getting the demo tomorrow rather than some downloading it today.

24. Bikki

The 360 demo is lagging like shit while the pc demo is perfectly optimized. Definitely getting this for pc if they dont fix the lag cuz i like playing games on my TV rather than on pc :/

25. Erthazus

Tried demo on Steam.

Everything on max. Like it a lot.

26. Shonak

I might be a little pervert, but I sure as hell gonna collect all 50 playmates in the game.

27. mdamiam44

Mafia 2 DEMO TRAINER FOR ALL GUNS !!!!!

28. rix31

Hello!

I would like to present State “crack to mafia 2″ is 100% efficient and no viruses , below gives link to download.

Mafia 2 Crack and Game *SKIDROW*