Valve mistakenly swings banhammer at MW2 players, apologizes by giving away L4D2

Tuesday, 27th July 2010 05:10 GMT By Nathan Grayson

mw2resurg

Being wrongfully accused sucks. Depending on the situation, you could be looking at years in a state prison, loss of  job/money/life, or – worst of all – a permanent ban from the PC version of Modern Warfare 2.

Fortunately, Valve – whose anti-cheat software erroneously tossed good, law-abiding citizens in the slammer – saw the error of its ways, and set things right in the best and most sensible way possible: zombies.

“Hello, recently, your Steam account was erroneously banned from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. This was our mistake, and I apologize for any frustration or angst it may have caused you,” read a message from Gabe Newell to those who were given the boot.

“We have reversed the ban, restoring your access to the game. In addition, we have given you a free copy of Left 4 Dead 2 to give as a gift on Steam, plus a free copy for yourself if you didn’t already own the game.”

Apology accepted, Valve. If ever there was a right way to incorrectly ban people from playing a game, this is it.

1. Crysis

gotta love how valve apoligizes

2. Mr Tom

Good job this wasn’t down to Activision. They would have released a special unbanning code via DLC for $10 or more.

Anyway, good on Valve. Bet some people still complain though.

3. DUFFKING

Aside from the overall quality of the game anyway, a quick read of the steam forums makes me think that had this ban only applied to one game they were probably being done a favour, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a retarded collection of forum posters.

4. endgame

meanwhile, the real cheaters r still playing the game ruining the game experience for everyone else. so yeah, keep up the good work valve.

5. BillyBatts

Aww, nothing says ‘sorry’ quite like a rotting selection of undead.

6. Froobie

Meh.
    I got banned without doing anything myself – ended up on a hacked server through IWs normal random matchmaking system.
    I made a ticket and they chose to close it. Thrice.
    Not that you people are going to care.
    I’m just pissed about this whole thing, and that the only answer I really got was “You cheated, we aren’t going to – nor can we – unban you”.