343 Industries: Master Chief will return in future Halo games

Monday, 26th July 2010 11:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

halo3a

He may have finished the fight, but Chief’s not done. Far from it.

Heavy spoiler warning after the jump regarding the ending of Halo 3.

343 Industries boss Frankie O’Connor told a panel at Comic-Con last night that it would be a bit of a tit if it didn’t finish off Master Chief’s story following the conclusion of Halo 3.

“We’d have to be the world’s biggest assholes not to follow through,” said O’Connor.

“We certainly haven’t seen the last of Master Chief.”

Time to stick your fingers in your ears and close your eyes if you don’t want the end of Halo 3 spoiled.

At the end of Halo 3, Master Chief and Cortana are stuck on one half of a ship which has split in two, before Chief gets sent into cryosleep.

In the Legendary ending for Halo 3, a mysterious planet is seen in the horizon. O’Connor confirmed at the event that it was indeed a planet, not a spaceship.

Last week, it was spotted that 343 had kicked off work on a new project, which was built specifically for the Halo IP following original developer Bungie’s wishes to move away from the series.

Thanks, IGN and Gamerzines.

1. Boris Fett

Obviously we’ll see him in Halo 4. It’s a given that the lead character of the franchise will be the lead character of the numerical titles.

2. RETARDED VIKING

meh master chief isn’t really a interesting character 343 should focus on something other than the UNSC/spartans.Heh i wouldn’t mind playing as a flood.

3. NiceFellow

D’oh. In fact double D’oh.

They want to milk the franchise for as long as it stays popular, of course he’ll return. Plot, finishing the story, etc. has nothing to do with it.

4. Freek

We’re talking about a part 4 in a series that has so far not resulted in a crap title. A game that in all liklehood will not even see the light of day untill the next Xbox, wich is years away.
    And you’re calling that milking?

Spamming out a dozen Guitar Hero games per year, that’s milking. Continuing a succesfull franchise is not.
    One story arc has been concluded, a new one will start in a few years time.

5. PieInTheSky95

Firstly, thanks for the spoiler warning, getting sick of the internet spoiling shit for me although Halo 3 has been completed many times by myself.

Secondly, I’m not too keen on this idea and I think Halo Reach should be the last Halo game. This is coming from a extreme Halo fan, Halo 3 being my favourite game ever. Halo 3 had a cliffhanger ending because it shouldn’t be continued. Let it die Please. There’s no need for it and were bordering on COD franchise whoring.

6. DJ Deathstar

Yeah i don’t expect a Halo 4 till the next generation, as i think MS are going to want to give a lot of time to 343 as their gonna have a huge game to follow in Reach and judging from Reach’s multiplayer and forge people are definately going to be playing it till the next generation. If more Halo game/s are to be released this gen i’d say it’ll be a spin off such as a Halo Wars sequel or something like ODST

@5, how is the Halo franchise bordering on whoring like COD, in 9 years including Reach there will have been 6 Halo games, where as COD when Black Ops is released will have had over 10 games i’m pretty sure in 7 years

7. LOLshock94

i dont mind unless it isnt a short ODST

8. NiceFellow

@4 I know they’re not milking in the sense of GH, they’re done a better job than that, but the franchise is for sure going to be extended until it eventually falters (as all brands do in the end) because it’s so commercially viable.

We’ve seen an RTS plus an expansion pack (which is all the content ODST really contained) so far, plus a prequel on the way and a comment Master Chief will return as if there was any doubt despite Halo 3 in theory wrapping up his tale as begun with Halo.

So long as it’s popular they’ll pump them out, they’re just (so far) putting quality above frequency (which is a good thing) and that’s milking just superior quality milking.

Today, for example, if Tolkein wrote LOTR given the success more would be demanded even though the tale was told. Halo is no different – and in fact even more so than Hollywood sequels videogames have shown that you can rinse/repeat a popular format to extensive lengths so long as the gameplay remains fun and sees refinements.

Whether the MC’s tale is ever told or not he’ll return if it’ll sell.

Personally, I’d like to see more focus on new IP, but with the way videogames sell the focus (once the initial risk works out) will be on extending an IP as far as it will go vs leaving it alone and moving on to something new.

9. Freek

Milking is a purely negative word used for franchises that have outstayed their welcome and are being cynicly exploited for money at the expensive of quality.

A word over used far too much and aplied to anything that is simply popular regardless of quality.

Halo doesn’t fitt into that catagory. They continue to bring fresh stories and gameplay concepts that keep the franchise alive and well.
    Perhaps one day we’ll see Halo Carting and Halo Puzzle Quest. But we aren’t there yet, and it doesn’t look like MS is going that route either.

But if you treat it carefully, a franchise can have verry long legs.
    James Bond has been going strong for almost 4 decades. And in games; Mario has been at the verry top of the platforming genre for nearly 20 years.

10. alimokrane

Wow at some people here… So 4 Main titles (1, 2 and 3 and ODST) in 9 years (launch of original xbox was 2001) is milking the franchise?? Wow just wow!

Halo Wars was developed by another developer so it doesn’t count.

Reach is coming end of this year so that would be a total of 5 titles in 9 years. HARDLY, milking a franchise especially considering the quality of the games!

11. Boris Fett

@10 To add to your point, ODST isn’t even a “main” title. So there’s only been 3 main titles in 9 years, plus two spin-offs (ODST, Halo Wars, Halo Reach).

At the moment, people are getting about one Halo title a year. That is far from “milking”. What the hell is it about the Halo franchise that turns every single topic that so much as mentions it into a giant mess?

12. Erthazus

” They continue to bring fresh stories”

Fresh stories? Are you nuts? With childish dialogs like: “Hey soldier – reserve the PDA for your momma, huh?”

But if you are a schoolboy, than of course.

“gameplay concepts ”

Like what? Arcade shooting mechanics or Unreal tournament mechanics?

13. Tallon 4

The chief has to return.
    There’s no other way…

14. Blerk

“What the hell is it about the Halo franchise that turns every single topic that so much as mentions it into a giant mess?”

15. Gadzooks!

Well said.

There are very very few game series with as much depth of story as Halo. Personally I’m really looking forward to continuing John-117′s story and am particularly interested in seeing if the long hypothesised Marathon connection happens.

Also Halo manages to retain the core gameplay it perfected from the first game, but adds combat options with each iteration, like dual-wielding and equipment and each game adds improvements like Forge and Firefight, keeping each new Halo fresh.

You are probably best off not commenting on things you dont understand. You should stick to counting pixels as it’s the only thing you seem to know how to do.

16. Gadzooks!

“I imagine the same reason why the Killzone ones do the same – 95% of the people posting in them haven’t actually played the game in question.”

Oh I expect most of the commenters have played Killzone, or the demo at least. The very superficial nature of the game means that I doubt very many of them felt compelled to finish it.

17. Dr.Freeman

Halo 3 will be the last of the franchise.. I mean ODST.. I mean Reach.. I mean Halo 4……….

18. theevilaires

Just started ODST last night….my impressions so far….its shit with a bag of chips. And I forgot the game came with two disc lol. Oh well won’t be needing that second disc anyway because I refuse to pay for LIVE.

19. Erthazus

@Gadzooks, butthurted Halo fanboy. As always at it’s best. Know how to say: “You don’t know shit” but can’t explain what makes this (or any) franchise awesome :D

Even Killzone shitty story maybe at the level of Halo 3, and dialogs maybe full of: Shit, motherfuckers and e.t.c. at least they sound like a dialog from a person.

Halo 3 dialog, masterpiece:

- Ferro, do you copy?
    - Standing by.
    - Prep for dust off. We’re gonna need immediate evac.
    - Roger. On our way.
    - Immediate dust off on my clear, then stay on station.
    - In the pipe. Five by five.

But if you look deeper, there are much more epic stuff that you can laugh off. the dialog of the tripple AAA title. :lol:

20. Boris Fett

Halo fans insulting Killzone is no different to Killzone fans insulting Halo. Both sides need to get over themselves and accept that each title has its merits.

21. Erthazus

@20 Except that both titles are not great at all (or they are all overhyped shit).
    Killzone is just a well made game that is still mediocre. The only thing that separates Halo from Killzone is that Killzone look like more of the next gen, deeper (i mean experience, weight of guns, more realistic), Well designed in graphics,design and aestetics, story (that is still just a mediocre Sci-Fi story, just read more books, but at least it’s somehow blockbuster movie for children 16-18 year old.)
    Only multiplayer is fun (for a guy that never experienced Unreal, Gears, Half-Life, Battlefield, Quakes and other great multiplayer games. )

22. reask

TBH Tea ODST isnt a patch on 3.
    I am replaying 3 atm on legendary and I reckon you would love it.
    I picked it up for 7 Euro having lent mine out a couple of years ago and never getting it back.

Just my tuppence worth anyway.

23. JonFE

@Erthazus:

Unless you have played any Halo game to completion on hard or legendary difficulty settings, please refrain from passing judgment on it. Seriously.

24. Boris Fett

@21 Has there been a single game released in the last 20 years that you *do* like? Because all you usually do is come into stories to piss on everyone else’s tastes.

25. Erthazus

@23 I played, Halo 1, Halo 2 and finished them all.
    Never played Halo 3 and will NEVER play it. Just a waste of fucking time. (BTW is there a big difference between Halo 3 and 1 or 2? I think not, except of graphical enchantments )
    Halo 3 ODST just played a little bit, my friend had it for REACH beta so i just came in to play it. Played REACH beta on my friends Xbox. Thats my experience to Halo.

@24 Of course. Lots of. and tomorrow i will enjoy another masterpiece (I hope that it will have decent singleplayer campaign)

26. reask

Go troll somewhere else shit for brains.
    Oh wait you cant.
    BECAUSE VG OPERATES A NO BAN POLICY AND MOST OTHER SITES HAVE GOTTEN RID OF YOU.

27. Erthazus

@26 Really? I’m sitting on Gametrailers forums and speaking with good guys :)
    + Kotaku
    + Steam

“Go troll somewhere”

Learn what is trollism and what is opinion. If you don’t agree just don’t post stupid posts or ignore me. Simple enough.

28. theevilaires

@ Reask I know I watched you play that game all day yesterday while I was on the PS3 playing BFBC2 (easy and fun trophy whoring BTW :D ) I watched you play that damn game so much it made me go out and buy ODST, no bullshit!

But maybe I’m being too harsh on the game lol. I mean I only just saw the opening cut scene and got out the pod,moved around a little bit, then saved and quit :D …..haven’t actually killed anyone yet :D

P.S. I’m finding myself agreeing with #20 very often now…. So prepare for the end of the world any second now :P

29. reask

I normally do but its getting to a stage where no thread is safe from your ill informed bile.

30. Blerk

glol, talk about judging a game a little early, TEA. :-D

31. reask

LOL Tea.
    The missus and kids were gone for the day. :)
    I need a life. :D
    No seriously 3 is way better.
    BTW how did you know who Boris was.
    I never twigged.
    I busted my sides when you said it.

32. JonFE

“and how is any Halo game is better on harder difficulty? Just… How? Game is absolutely the same except that you have less HP”

33. Erthazus

@32 “This just shows that you have totally lost the mark. There is just no point arguing Halo with you, no point at all. In fact, I’m truly sorry I even bothered.

Mr Smart guy, then HOW it is better? You don’t have fingers to explain how it is better with harder difficulty?

Here you go, Halo Wiki with Legendary difficulty, i see that you have just less shields and HP, enemies are more overpowered (some of them agile, some of them are harder to kill), some places don’t have shotguns and e.t.c.

So how is this MUCH better? :D

34. Blerk

From my limited understanding of all things Halo, I’m lead to believe that the AI really kicks it up a gear once you get above ‘normal’.

35. OlderGamer

I hate threads like this one.

Halo is Halo, its not for me, but it is a good game. Well done, solid feel, bess matchmaking system, interesting stroy, decent graphics(w/o being all brown/grey/or some other washed out color palate), it is just awell done game.

It is very hard for peopel that don’t like Halo to find faults.

It is.

When you hear about a bad story. Or Arcade controls. People are reaching(no pun intended) for something to use as evidence.

I am telling you folks right here and now (and because of the heavy Euro scale of this site some will think I am bat shit crazy), story is so freaken over rated. I mean really really over rated. Very few games need a strong Hollywood style story in order to find sucsess(and if they do I would say that something else is lacking).

So stop with the story.

Do you think anyone playing online Halo is worried about the stroy? MW2, MP fans worried about the story? Alan Wake had a great story, and it tanked.

People play games for the gameplay. A good story is bonus.

If you want a story w/o gameplay go play Myst.

Ok next up is you can’t fault Halo for being too arcady. You can’t. It is what it is. And how is say MW2 more realistic? That game has “Perks”. Perks aren’t real.

Plus look at it this way.

Burnout. Mario Kart. Flatout. Twisted Metal. Wipeout. And more all have been classified as arcade. Compare their driving mechanics to GT or Forza. But that is what they are. They weren’t made that way by accident. It isn’t a fault. Same with Halo. It controls that way by design. And just like the above mentioned racers, Halo is insanly popular. So it must work just fine for a hella lot of people.

In the end if you don’t Halo, thats fine. If you don’t like Killzone, that is fine. I didn’t think it was a choice one or the other. I own both and don’t get into either. Personaly I like BFBC2. But that game isn’t perfect either, and I am not going to around claiming it is. And I am not going to go around telling people they are stupid for not liking what I like.

That is why I hate threads like this.

The internet, bringing out the best in people, one post at a time.

36. Erthazus

but judging by THIS: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Legendary

AI is just more AGILE and overpowered (like in almost any game with hard difficulties). Agile – just add more speed and add them additional bonus to damage and e.t.c.
    Wow. :D

37. Blerk

“Perks aren’t real.”

What?!

/withdraws Special Forces application

38. OlderGamer

lol @37 :)

39. JonFE

Actually, with my right hand wrapped as it is right now, I don’t have enough fingers to spare; typing with one finger at the moment, care to guess which one?

Why don’t you just fire it up, crank it up to legendary, finish it off and we talk again, huh? It certainly would not hurt you to form an opinion of your own, instead of reading up things on the internet and passing them on as your opinion.

Alternatively, you could just stop arguing about things you don’t know about first-hand.

40. Erthazus

” And how is say MW2 more realistic?”

Never said it’s realistic, but you have feeling that you are running or having a gun in your hands. Modern Warfare 2 or Killzone 2 (both shit) have the best feeling with guns, even better then Battlefield:Bad company 2 which i like much more.
    In Halo, judging by games that i played, guns like an arcade clusterfuckness.

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusround/407?ch=4&sd=1_hd if you look here at the bonus round. Shane Satterfield saying why Halo game looks bland.

@39 So basically Halo in normal difficulty sucks ass and in Legendary opens the door to the another dimension? A fucking opera starts? Dialogs are different… Another game?

41. JonFE

Like I said, no point…

42. theevilaires

I guess so Blerk :)

Reask I saw a post by Mike calling out O’Connor as Boris….don’t know how he did it exactly (he claims by the way he posted, but I think he did it by his IP address).

ODST is a nice edition to my 360 exclusive collection. I think I’m gonna be on the 360 more often now because I set up my media center on the 360 to connect with my PC so its almost equal to my PS3 media functionality wise now.

But keep on playing cause the more I watch you play the more I’m likely to get LIVE. (Don’t know where G1GA is these days) Was so close to buying ME2 yesterday also. Would have too if they had ME1 also :D

43. reask

Nice one Tea.
    A bit of H3 on Co op would be a blast.
    You can earn cheevos if you get enough points for each mission.

I turned on the melee skull yesterday which meant you don’t regenerate health until you melee someone.
    Fu**ing mental on legendary. :)

44. OlderGamer

Tea, if you do get online w/LIVE let me know. I am no where near the skill of reask, but I bet my son is … and he would be happy to hook up and play it with ya – he knows where the skulls are at and such like that.

45. reask

Thanks OG you made my day. :)
    Only thing is you must be bad if youre not as good as me. :) :)
    Just ask Tea or my 12 year old kid. :D

46. theevilaires

Cool, friends like you guys make paying for LIVE more reasonable….still feels like paying for sex though :(

Plus the death of 1 vs 100 kills my thoughts of wanting LIVE too. I loved that game :(

47. The Hindle

Anyone one else thinking Reach will be the last Halo game of this generation?

48. reask

Probably will be TH.
    I am really looking forward to it.
    @ Tea.
    Only thing is its better.
    Well it lasts longer anyway. ;)

49. OlderGamer

I am horrible at Halo. I can’t hit the backside of an Elite.

I think it is the last one this go around Hindle. But with the extended system lifecycle they keep talking about you never know.

Anytime you wanna hit us for a round or two of whatever, Tea, let me know. Both of my kids have their own systems/gold etc. And Yes reask, they kick my ass too! lil’ brats.

I think we could even do four player Halo…I think we have two online cds, plus the two of you…could be fun.

Nonamegamer93 is my oldest son btw. Feel free to add him.

50. reask

You’re on OG.

51. reask

Erthazus said:

Well if you think about it on legendary you will die much much quicker so you have to adapt your game to stay alive.
    Same in any game really.
    Hence the experience becomes quite different as you have to use what you have more effectively.

On the easier modes of any game you will probably get through it using the same gun if you’re experienced enough.
    Devs have to think of the guy just jumping in as well as the so called hardcore.

I have played a few games on the highest setting and I reckon this is the setting which shows the full potential of it.
    So yes it is a different game on the higher setting.
    Try taking that scarab down on legendary and you will know what I mean.
    Controller nearly got put through telly a few times. :)
    But when you get through certain stages it is a nice buzz to feel you achieved what the dev threw at you.

52. Cryst

@51 so true! it’s like those people who play dead space on easy and then moan that it wasn’t hard/scary enough! go hardest or GTFO

I’m a huge halo fan, and i thought that Halo 3 ended perfectly, now after everything MC can finally find some peace…
    Also there are much better stories to tell, like what happens when the elites get back to their homeworld? or what ever happened to gray team?

53. AHA-Lambda

this is the sort of cliffhanger that doesn’t need resolved, leave it alone!!