Vanquish originally an open world title, reveals Mikami

Thursday, 22nd July 2010 11:34 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Vanquish-2

Vanquish director Shinji Mikami has revealed the game was an open world game at one point.

But in a blog on developer Platinum’s website, he said that a linear route was quickly implemented once development began.

“Vanquish was originally an open battlefield type of game,” said Mikami, “where the goal was to move around crushing enemy positions; however, once we got started with development, we quickly made the decision to change to a more linear structure. We abandoned the open battlefield and focused on making each stage as visually dense as possible.

“As a result, I think the graphics in Vanquish are really quite wonderful. It is one of the main points of Vanquish I want to recommend to people. (The only regret is that our decision decreased the amount of times the player uses boosting.)”

Mikami also revealed the original design of the enemies in the game, known as Gorgies, were originally white, but became red later on, and are now easier to identify.

Vanquish was dated a while back for US, Japan and Europe & UK for October 19, 21 and 22 respectively.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Demiath

A non-linear Vanquish could have been kinda awesome, but judging from the current trailers almost every frame of the action seems meticulously designed in a way that goes beyond the ambitions of even most triple-AAA titles, so an open world structure of the same quality probably wouldn’t have been even remotely possible…

2. daytripper

i’d like a demo of this, i am also wary it could be full of corny japanese dialogue and confusing story lines.

3. Gadzooks!

“We crushed any creativity or gameplay dynamics there might have been, to appease the pixel whores and hit our metacritic target.”

Well that’s the last shred of interest I had in the game gone.

4. AHA-Lambda

yeah i need a demo of this before i can judge. Just like bayonetta i’m just not seeing the hype tbh =/

(altho i admit i think this is more interesting than bayonetta)

5. Boris Fett

@2 The dialogue is pretty corny yes, and the story will be entirely throw-away. But the gameplay is absolutely amazing, so I don’t really care personally.

6. daytripper

@5 have you played it?

7. Boris Fett

@6 Yes, played it at E3. Bloody astounding is what it is.

Platinum Games will be getting my money on day one.

8. daytripper

superb, look forward to it :-D

9. OlderGamer

imo this game is getting way too much press and hype.

The only nod I have seen this game from anyone remotly close to me respecting their two cents is what Boris just said. Based on that if there is a demo I will give it a try.

If not I am just going to write it off as just another JP attempt to feed western gamers. I would be expecting poorly done story lines, assy chars, tightly scripted(and controled) action sequences. To me the JP put too much “Game” in their video games, if that makes any sense. Its like a Hollywood movie that tries so hard to hit all of the bits that define the movies genere, that the movie ends up feeling like a clone of something else.

But, because I could be wrong, would love to be infact. And because Boris has played it and still recomends it, I will sit down with it and see what happens.

If they make a demo.

10. Boris Fett

@9 I can tell you right off the bat that the game is probably “too much game”.

For me personally, gameplay mechanics are *everything*. I can look over terrible storytelling, bad acting and even poor graphics if the gameplay is top notch, and as far as gameplay goes, Vanquish lives up the same high standards set by most of Platinum Games / Clover’s past games.

The story will be trash in all regards, I have no doubt about that.

I imagine the campaign will be the usual length that these games tend to be, about 12 hours or so… but these types of games aren’t just meant to be played. They’re meant to be perfected.

11. AHA-Lambda

@10 – sigh, rental confirmed for me then =/

12. DaMan

obviously we all have different tastes. I for one, don’t play games whose battle systems resemble opening folders on desktop, can’t bring myself to care about space marines with mysterious past, or don’t like the idea of games being an addicting hobby rather than interactive fun.

although, from what they’ve shown so far I don’t see this game being the same ground breaking, genre defining experience that is Bayonetta. then again, I have a feeling there’s more to it.. after all it’s the same guy who designed God Hand.

oh, and I don’t quite see the (apparently) lame story/chars being that much of an issue when Gears pretty much set a new standard for the corniest dialogue and characters ever.

13. Boris Fett

@12 Trust me, once you have the game being controlled in your own hands… its all makes sense. The sliding and slow down mechanics are far more intuitive and integral to the gameplay experience than you may think.

Remember how everyone bemoaned the lack of a block button in Bayonetta? Remember that moment while you were playing it and it suddenly dawned on you that that the lack of a blocking move was the *whole point*? Yeah, it’s like that.

Cover in Vanquish is not there for you to hide behind and shoot stuff all day. The A.I. is quite brutal in seeking you out, and if you don’t keep moving around the levels, you’re as good as dead.

Simply trying to run up to random enemies will see your health bar being decimated in a matter of seconds. Your health does recharge, but it’s a slow process and you can’t just hide behind cover and wait for it to refill every time you get hit.

14. The Hindle

I think it could go either way, absolutely incredible game or dull. Since its Mikami im thinking incredible.

15. DaMan

@13 hmm well btw, I never actually thought Dmc needs that dreadful blocking (or a slower speed or other similar nonsense from people that are poor at it), altogether the gameplay being more offensive was one of the reasons I ‘ve always preferred it to ie NG . thus same for Bayonetta, due to it partially being an (evolved) Dmc.

anyway though, thanks for the heads up. I agree, you can’t really judge it without trying the actual game.

16. osric90

It’s Mikami, yes. The gameplay will be awesome (inspired by the greatest games in the genre but implemented) and the story will be easy to understand but complex at the same time, leaving no holes or at least not big ones (RE, anyone?). I’m sure this will have many stereotyped characters and dialogs, but all of them will have their moments, will be charismatic and worth to remember. Let’s wait and YES, I want a damn demo for next month or I’ll be pissed.

17. HitMan

looks awesome though, looking forward to it.