Aussie GTA: Vice City rating related to PC back catalogue business

Thursday, 8th July 2010 08:56 GMT By Patrick Garratt

vicecoty

Rockstar has confirmed to VG247 that a mysterious, Australian GTA: Vice City rating is related to back catalogue PC business.

Rockstar decided to re-rate Vice City as part of ongoing work with history products. Exactly how the PC version of the classic open-worlder is to be re-used is unclear.

It was noticed this morning that the OFLC, Australia’s ratings board, had posted a new 15+ award for GTA Vice City.

The listing described the game as “modified” and “multi-platform,” but no specific formats were listed.

As Kotaku noted, multi-platform listings in Australia are notoriously inaccurate.

VG247 has been assured that this has nothing to do any upcoming, new GTA products.

Speculation today pointed to a PSN and Live re-release of the game, but you can consider that scotched.

The PC version of Vice City was originally released in Australia on May 20, 2003, following ships on May 12 in the US and May 15 in Europe.

It was released on Steam on January 4, 2008.

1. Will_Hunting

I don’t understand.

2. Bulk Slash

Nice! I hope they’ll use the Xbox 1 version as the base because it had more detailed vehicles and characters, better lighting and better weather effects than the PS2 and PC versions.

Even better would be if they’ve updated the controls to be similar to GTAIV….

3. Blerk

Microsoft already has the Xbox version of San Andreas on its Games on Demand service, so it wouldn’t be without precedent for it just to be that. But they haven’t added any old-Xbox games to the service in years, it’d be pretty weird to get one now.

I’m almost ashamed to say that I didn’t get very far in Vice City, I listened to the soundtrack a lot more than I played the actual game. If they did re-release it with a hi-def upgrade and some playability tweaks to bring it more into line with GTA IV, then I might even be tempted to pick it up. Providing it was cheap.

4. Gheritt White

This was the only version of GTA I ever really enjoyed…

5. Blerk

If it is a re-release, I hope it’s just a precursor to a full-blown sequel. The thought of some proper next-gen 80s GTA action in the IV engine gives me wood. Frankly.

6. Amored

I doubt it’s XBLA/PSN-title, as the game require some HDD-space.

7. Gekidami

I’m pretty sure MS said that they wouldnt be adding any more games to their Classic Games on Demand service.

8. StolenGlory

RAGE Engine + GTA: Vice City = WIN.

9. WizardWeb

Sony have been asking people what they should re-release in HD format. Presumably Rockstar will make more money that way than if Sony allowed backwards compatibility.

10. Crysis

good, i just upgraded from an 40gb hdd to a 320gb hdd, no problems with space anymore XD

11. drewbles82

I love free roaming, GTA and Saints row are my favs. GTA4 lost it for me tho with it being to realistic, the fun seemed to have disappeared.
    I love these games anyway but one thing that i really hate bout them is the music, not the actual artists they use but on the original xbox you could have a radio station and put your own music on it.Yeh you can have your music on whilst playing any game but its not the same, i dont want it on all the way thru, i want it on a radio station in the car i can select, it sounds better that way as well.

12. cookiejar

I’m genuinely excited.

13. Tomo

Soooo… GTAV was announced, behind closed doors is what you’re saying and you’re all under embargo up the wazoo not to say anything but you tread pretty close to the line here and now you’re all going to die in hell probably with rabies and the clap.

14. DiodeX

Umm, HD remake would make me all giddy!!!, best in the series by far.

15. daytripper

i would jizz all over the office if this is remade in HD

16. Gekidami

Mah, Vice City was better then GTA3 by a long shot, but SA was leaps and bounds ahead of both.

17. cookiejar

In terms of sheer size and fun, San Andreas was probably better. But in terms of style, atmosphere, and that stunning soundtrack, I’d say Vice City was by far the best. I’d love this to happen.

18. daytripper

well said cookiejar, i couldnt agree more.

19. Blerk

Whizzo just posted this on the EG forums, which pretty much deflates the whole thing. Looks like it’s going to be Mac ports of III, VC and SA, most likely for Steam.

:-(

20. daytripper

no…. NO! NOOOO!!!!!

1 WANT THIS TO BEE REMADE HD PWEASE!!!!

21. Patrick Garratt

Updated. They re-rated because they’re doing something with the PC version.

22. Blerk

Well that sucks. The big one.

/fed up

23. daytripper

my heart feels destroyed

24. AHA-Lambda

oh well :(

vice city was by far the best gta aswell, so many good memories :)

25. cookiejar

Gutted to say the least. R* better have seen this!

26. Gheritt White

@ 21: FUCK YOU, GARRATT.

Cunt.

27. DaMan

meh, never really enjoyed this one. 3 was way more atmospheric and SA was more fun.

28. Patrick Garratt

:D

29. Blerk

I still want a proper Vice City 2, Rockstar!

30. Johnny Cullen

I feel so empty now.

31. Bulk Slash

Did they ever release a patched PC version that took out the “Kill the Haitians” line? Maybe that’s what they’re patching on the PC while also porting to OSX.

And I agree, this is totally gutting.

32. daytripper

i feel like shit, hopes were so genuine yet they have been dashed, i want to cry :-(

33. DiodeX

This makes me want to play VC Stories now!, gotta hope its BC for the PS3!!, PSP version was horrible to play!

34. Whizzo

I should finally get around to getting PCSX2 running on my PC and complete my PS2 copy of Vice City Stories once and for all.

35. macronia

Guys i don’t understand ??