Console version of APB unsigned, says Jones

Monday, 5th July 2010 09:07 GMT By Johnny Cullen

apb8

RealTime Worlds’ Dave Jones has told Eurogamer that APB won’t appear on consoles unless the studio finds the right “publishing partner” to assist it.

The MMO launched at the weekend in the UK, receiving middling review scores: EG gave the game a six.

“That won’t happen until we have a console publishing partner,” said Jones.

“That’s the only thing that will trigger that.”

When asked if the game would be “shopped around” for consoles, he added: “I don’t think it’s something we’d say we’d shop around. We’re going to stay heavily focused on building upon what we’ve got. We’ll have conversations with people. If there’s interest there, then of course we’d love to bring it to console.

“But I think, quite rightly, the console people are sitting there watching how the game does, how we build upon it, how good the service is, what would be the cost involved in running dedicated servers for console, for example. I don’t think anybody’s ever done that yet.”

Jones said back at GDC this year that for APB to appear on consoles, it would need a “redesign.”

When the title was announced in 2005, an Xbox 360 release was also confirmed.

1. Blerk

I can’t see this happening at all now given the review scores. It was pretty unlikely even before.

2. ekfight

who seriously wants to play a game where youre a thug anyhow?
    I dunno, the whole idea of APB just seems a little 1998

3. abbe

@2:
    Gta, Gta2, Gta3, Gta4, Mafia 1, Mafia 2.

I suppose noone. :(

4. Robo_1

I’ve never enjoyed games where you play a criminal.

I wouldn’t want to be mugged, ergo I’ve nothing but contempt for muggers, so why would I want to step into their shoes?? I really don’t see the appeal, but as abbe points out, I’m clearly in the gaming minority.

5. endgame

@2 and 3 weaklings! haha!

6. NGCes26294BIV

I think it’s going to be essential if they are to make any money out of their investment, especially if the PC version tanks in the ELSPA charts this morning.

7. Freek

It’s cops vs robbers. Don’t want to be a thug? Play as the fuzz.

8. Erthazus

“I’ve never enjoyed games where you play a criminal.”

I’ve enjoyed, but i don’t like playing a criminal too. I wish GTA games had a cop character.

Sick of murderers and others like that…

Red Dead Redemption by the way was a good start. Family guy.

9. Blerk

Family guy who murders people. :-)

10. Erthazus

@9 Murders BAD people. For example i’m now a hero and gunslinger in statistics. :P

Killing only bad guys and saving woman from douchebags :P

11. Anders

“Murders BAD people. For example i’m now a hero and gunslinger in statistics.”

Is Nico in GTAIV really all that different then?

12. Erthazus

@11 Absolutely different.

Nico came to the Liberty city because of brother that said: I’m full of money!
    The reason he is in the Liberty City is because his brother and opportunity to make good money.
    All missions he wanted to make money and searched for that opportunity and he don’t care what or who he will kill.

John Marston is a family guy and gungster in the past. He just wanted to end everything. He wanted to erase what is impossible to erase. The government was behind him and he had no choice but to do all the dirty work for them.
    He don’t like even sleep with girls :) he always say that he have kids and wife ;)

Red Dead Redemption have cliche and personal story.

13. Anders

“Nico came to the Liberty city because of brother that said: I’m full of money!”

You haven’t played GTAIV, have you?

14. StolenGlory

I’m still in shock that they passed on Crackdown 2 for this.

15. Erthazus

“You haven’t played GTAIV, have you?”

You? Maybe not. The synopsis was that Niko leaves Eastern Europe to escape the anger of his employer, Ray Bulgarin. Eventually, under persuasion from his cousin Roman, Niko comes to Liberty City, where he hopes to pursue the [!] American Dream [!] as well as Florian Cravic.

Thats it.