Moore: We don’t want people to trade our games

Sunday, 27th June 2010 11:16 GMT By Joe Anderson

petermoore4

EA Sports boss Peter Moore says EA’s new Online Pass exists because the company doesn’t want people to trade in its games.

Speaking to Kotaku, Moore said keeping users in the game is EA’s main aim, despite criticism aimed at the new initiative.

“One thing I have to do, and it’s my job, and my development team’s job, and my marketing team’s job, is make you not want to trade the game in,” he said.

Moore added the main reason for getting people to use a code to play online with secondhand games is to allow added value and to keep server costs down.

“From our perspective, [it's] conditioning you to punch a code in, to get you going, get some digital content, and conditioning you to look at digital content as a value-add to the game experience itself,” he said.

“It’s not something I want to focus on, but it’s still a factor that the cost of a million people playing Madden 10 online is not inconsequential.”

The first game to use EA’s new Online Pass was Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11, which was released in the US earlier this month.

1. DGOJG

2. conk donk

If they don’t want us to trade in their games they should stop releasing yearly versions of their sports titles. Release games like Fifa 360, Madden PS3 and NBA Live Wii and then release new DLC (paid for or otherwise) every transfer window to patch the game up with new features and up to date player info. Only release a new game with a new machine. That’ll pretty much stop people from trading in their sports games.

3. BraveArse

@2 +1 Pretty much what I logged on to say. Given that EA’s yearly cycle is almost certainly a major part of the “problem” it’s really hypocritical to say the least.

4. McLovin85

@2 +1 Yup was gonna say the same thing. Who the hell wants to keep FIFA 07 when you have FIFA 11 coming out etc. Surely not because of nostalgia :S

5. Ansob

I don’t think it would have been possible to choose a picture that makes Moore look more like the devil. Nice choice. :D

I’m also pretty sure Moore might want to let his PR team coach him before doing the talking, next time. “Conditioning” is a cartoonishly evil word to use in this situation.

Also, conk donk already said what I had to say about the real problem, so there.

6. LordCancer

lower the cost and give me a map editor with shooters. crysis 2 mmmk? and oh i dunno support your fucking game community post release! don’t rip us off and splinter community with map packs and exclusive map pack playlists. Go Fuck your self moore.

7. polygem

Good, quality game. Good, quality post release free or fair piced for bigger dlc. I’ll keep the game. Simple as that. Dont blame customers for trading in stuff. Ever heard of customer rights? What is this. Business Fascism?

8. Freek

Aaaand that’s your problem right there. You are going about it the wrong way. Instead of asking yourself what do our fans want and make a product to fitt that need, you are going “we have this product, how do we force onto gamers?”

9. OlderGamer

Been saying this for years. 20usd yearly DLC makes a lot of sense. But isin’t what they wanna do, they would see that as lost revenue.

But the number of EA sports games I buy new has dropped from several to one. And to be honest I don’t see me buying this years version of that one either. I just bought, used, last years copy of Madden. I paid 15usd for it, sure beats 60usd.

Online pass can bite me. Just what I want to do, play online with griefers and cheesers.

Note to industry, want to stop used games sales? Stop pimiping 60usd games. People can’t freaken afford them. My game budget used to be 300-400usd a month(not kidding), now its 50-60usd/month. And next to some of my friends, I feel lucky to have that. So I pay for wow each month, get a little Digital stuff from Steam(can you freake believe their blow out prices right now? So many thing 66/75% off, I bought a game for 1usd yesterday), to XBLA/PSN. And yes I buy used once in awhile. Also instead of buying games I often gamefly.

Packing online codes in the box won’t magicly give me a bigger monthly game budget. I can’t buy what i can’t afford.

10. ExclusivesMostly

@2: :) :) :)

11. IL DUCE

You hit the nail on the head right there…basically instead of coming out with a game and expecting us to pay $60 for it every year because it has one little difference, or the game play is “tweaked” is insane, the price is gonna drop in 2 months to like 40 bucks and continue to drop since its the same game they put out the year before and try to claim it is so different…what they really should do is just release updated rosters every couple of months and continuously until they actually come up with something revolutionary that completely changes the game…but they wouldn’t make enough money off that would they…and they still aren’t making enough money off it now since they have to add a $10 fee to online pay which at least from my perspective, deters me from playing online at all in those games when I rent them.