Kinect costs $149.99, says Microsoft Store

Tuesday, 22nd June 2010 06:02 GMT By Patrick Garratt

kinect

Seems as though everyone thinks Kinect’s going to cost $150. Including Microsoft.

The Microsoft Store is now listing the motion sensor at $149.99 for pre-order.

Apparently, the following comes in the box:

• Kinect sensor for Xbox 360
  • Power supply cable
  • User’s manual
  • Wi-Fi extension cable

There’s been intense speculation around Kinect’s price since Microsoft shied away from dropping the information at E3 last week, with rumours ranging from a $150 cost price to $189 at retail.

Kinect releases before the end of the year.

1. ybfelix

What’s a wifi extension cable again?

2. Dannybuoy

Awesome! A power supply cable.

3. manamana

@1Lolz :-D

… Oh wait, what’s it really for?
    … Its to boost the signal.

This one would be nice: http://www.wirelessgardenstore.com/default.asp?Redirected=Y

@Topic: I think its overpriced. Crash&burn, piece of crap. I’ll hold my money till march. 3DS is calling…

4. The Juice707

@1:
    I was wondering that too. Maybe for all of us who have an old xbox, it will split the back usb port into a 2 so that we don’t have to waste our front usb ports.

Anyways though, I don’t understand how this happened at all? They have already said they weren’t going to announce prices till later, yet this goes up– I dunno why this would have been posted on purpose and I dunno how it could have been posted by accident. Mind boggling.

@3:
    Are you sure that is the same thing? Why would Kinect need a signal booster?

5. Robster1979

I’ll be very interested to see how much that translates to in the rest of the world.

6. Robster1979

All business have them…..

I like to call them Muppets.

I reckon someones gonna get a slap on the wrists for this feck up.

7. ybfelix

Well pre-order price can only be higher due to price guarantees. So $149 is semi-officially the high limit of Kinect. Let’s see whether MS decide to lower it.

8. JimFear666

and then again the biggest douchebag ever called Aron Greenberg will say ; Its only speculation.
    blahblahblah

9. Blerk

Too much. Much too much.

Now I’m thinking about The Specials.

10. Petulant Radish

Are you chained to the kitchen making currant buns for tea too?

11. Blerk

Ah, good to see I’m not the only old geezer here. :-)

12. Gadzooks!

£80 bundled with some decent software is the absolute maximum I’ll pay.

So far the only decent game I’ve seen for it is Child of Eden, but there’s zero chance that will get bundled with Kinect.

13. StolenGlory

Gadzooks! speaks the truth £80 w/bundled software is pretty much the sweet spot pricepoint for the device. £99 at a push, but otherwise no.

Fuck no.

14. Petulant Radish

I’d rather spend that £150 at Glastonbury, which is what I am going to do from tomorrow, goodbye brain cells!

15. StolenGlory

@Petulant Radish:

The mud will likely be more entertaining too.

16. Erthazus

Hey guys, just forget about this piece of plastic web-camera and start saving for the 3DS!

“£80 bundled with some decent software is the absolute maximum I’ll pay.”

This is the sweet spot, but ONLY with software of course.

17. Gheritt White

Where…

(where?)

Did you. Get. That. Blerk

(BLERK!)

Expression,

…on your face.

18. Petulant Radish

15, it looks like there will be no mud this year, a return to 99 and 2000 would be pleasant. I’ll be jumping around much like an idiot for most of it so it’ll be good practice for trying this out anyway.

19. LeD

Guys, you keep forgetting that these kind of devices are there to be enjoyed by a whole familly. Now as you know, Kinetic will allow for several people to join in a game, without the need for extra peripherals.
    Now offset the price of Kinect against the price of several Wiimotes + nunchuks, or several Move kits + EyeToy and I bet you it’s not that pricey.

20. Gekidami

^Whilst thats true, you have to take into account who Kinect is actually aimed at, and going of MS’ E3 conference thats the casual Wii crowd who wouldnt already own a 360. That’ll mean buying a 360 AND Kinect for alot of people, and thats already more pricey.

Move on the otherhand has been shown to use core games and have core games being made for it, so that already more aimed at people who would already own a PS3.

21. Erthazus

@19 just buy Eye toy for 30$ and you can wave your hands around as much as you want.

22. focux007

That’ll convert to £99.99 for us in the UK then. The price always seems to get lost in translation and goes up!

23. DrDamn

@focux007
    I would guess an RRP of £130 here maybe higher. You have to add on VAT at 17.5% (or maybe more after today) and use an exchange rate which is usually slanted toward the dollar.

24. focux007

@ DrDamn, I think your guess is about right actually. Especially after today.

25. daytripper

the eye toy claim is getting mundane

26. Gheritt White

@ 25: But that’s all it is, really. It’s much more advanced than an EyeToy, for sure, but Kinect feels more like a sequel to it than a wholly original product.

27. daytripper

so whats the problem? if its much more advanced why would you go and buy an eye toy instead? move is the same as the wii only advanced so i dont understand all the little snide remarks about either of them. people are going to buy kinect and move, both will probably do well out of it imo

28. Gheritt White

I’m not suggesting you buy an EyeToy – if controller-free gaming is your bag, Kinect is clearly the way to go. It’s just that it is a definite follow-up or follow-on from EyeToy.

What differentiates Move from its competitors is that takes a best of both worlds approach, combing both a hand-held controller and a camera. This take on motion control tech distinguishes it from the Wii (gyroscope + accelerometer + IR sensor) and Kinect (camera + microphone), each of which uses one but not both in tandem. This should make for a more comprehensive, limitation-free experience and is what has me so excited about PS Move.

29. Spaced Oddity

I’ve been saying it since the Natal reveal this crap would be $149.99-$179.99. The price is absolutely ridiculous, especially since the casual gamer can pay slightly above that for a system completely focused on them, and not have to lay down $200 more for a console (which Kinect obviously needs). Pathetic. If Microsoft actually expects it to sell at that price, they’re really going to be in for disappointment. $99 is the price to move it.

30. manamana

Like I posted in News: $149.99 Listing a Placeholder, according to Gamestooge.

Larry Hryb confirmed this to me in an email: “Jonah, we have not official announced a price yet.” So the price listed at Microsoft is a placeholder.

GameStooge

31. Amored

I can live with that price :)

@VG247 – Are you gonna contact Microsoft about this?

32. Erthazus

@29 i think they expect to sell it to consumers who already have Xbox 360. To sell Natal to consumers that don’t give a fuck about gaming with this price is almost impossible.
    The problem is that typical consumer don’t know what this shit does right + the price is slightly ridicilous for that camera.

33. Amored

@Erthazus – People who didn’t give a fuck about games bought the Wii…