“There is absolutely a 10-year life cycle for PSP”, says Koller

Friday, 18th June 2010 23:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

psp3000a2

SCEA’s John Koller has said that as far as platform life cycles are concerned, PSP will “absolutely” be around for 10-years.

Speaking with Joystiq in a video interview, Koller said that the handheld sector is a very important, and Sony will be in the business “as long as it’s in thePlayStation business”.

“There is absolutely a 10-year life cycle for PSP, and probably more,” he said. “We’ve talked about ‘We’ll be in the PSP business as long as we’re in the PlayStation business’, because we absolutely believe in handheld.

“Unequivocally we think it’s a fantastic place to be, and I can tell you that I think my group particularly – the hardware group – fully believes in handheld because there’s different demographics that you can touch and bring in to the PlayStation world through it that you may not always be able to do through other avenues.

“You can touch older females, older males, younger children, you can kind of piece all of these different target audiences and demographics under a handheld umbrella much more seamlessly.

“I think it’s a long term opportunity and we will stay in it. Now in terms of where we are in the current life cycle, I think we’re just kind of hitting our stride. We just announced that we hit 60 million units worldwide, which is a very good number for PSP, we’ve got a lot of good development support.

“We always say a platform will turn off when the development spicket turns off. We’ve got 70 games coming this year, we’ve got 70-80 coming next year – it’s just a very healthy platform.

“I don’t think we’d be spending investment to the tune that we are without full belief that this is a go-forward platform.”

Speaking of PSP, rumors before E3 had Sony working on a PSP2 and set for reveal, but SCEE’s Andrew House put those rumors to boot when he spoke to VG247 at the event this week.

He did, however admit that Sony had underestimated gamers’ attachment to physical formats when it came to PSPgo vs PSP.

More through the links.

1. Anders

Four more years, then. Best of luck.

2. Stephany Nunneley

“You can touch older females, older males, younger children…”

Call me immature – because I am – but I snickered a bit typing that part. :D

3. Erthazus

@2 Pervert! :lol:

4. Erthazus

PSP 10 years? Yeah, it’s real. But i don’t see this platform that will jump in sales.

they can do it by adding massive Japanese game like Monster Hunter or something like that.

5. cookiejar

Technically, that doesn’t mean there won’t be a new PSP before the 10th year. Look at the PS2 still kicking about with PS3.

I do hope we see a new Sony handheld within the year though.

6. theevilaires

Oh boy, this 10 year crap applies to PSP too? :(

7. Phoenixblight

We are in a recession. so yes this 10 year crap still applies to the PSP. Plus Sony and MS can make an actual profit from the money they invested to develop current systems.

8. theevilaires

@7 So what they can do whatever they want but a handheld is not a console and as soon as the PSP 2 releases no one is going to buy the first again and they have to release the PSP 2 soon before APPLE gains too much market share.

9. Anders

@7&8: Not to mention that Nintendo is running around charming publishers with rad tech demos and promises of improved graphics, 3D and improved online connectivity. Sony can’t afford to give Nintendo a head start larger than a few months.

10. theevilaires

exactly Anders look at the DSi that junk just came out two years ago. Move your ass SONY…no pun attended :D

11. Lloytron

10 year life cycle? My PSP has been in a drawer for 4 years

12. KAP

What some people cant seem to get there head around is that if a product isnt seen well with critics or the west then dont bother, but what you dont seem to understand is that the PSP is acctually the best selling handheld in some countries around the world, JPN for example so a ten year sell by date?… you better believe it.

I had a PSP since it first came out and i loved the idea of playing my snes games, playstation games and all that back then.. but as time went on i played it less and used it solely for data transfer ad music and videos. Im 29yrs of age so i have less time to play games (total fucking lie but still….) but the rest of the features are sound on the PSP (except the poo internet browser)

Hypocritetically though, i would jump on the bones of a PSP2.. oh fuck me sideways!

+Smartphone
    +Android
    +Touch screen
    +two nibs either side
    +more support
    +LARGE internal memory
    +even more PS3 support
    +Trophies on PSP games
    +PS1 & PS2 back catalog

13. dirigiblebill

The things which kill PSP for me are the ergonomics – the D-pad and nub are terrible – and the media format. UMD’s big, but also slow, power-consuming and fragile. Shame, because it has a fantastic software line-up. Loco Roco, Patapon, FFT/Disgaea, Monster Hunter, WipEout Pulse and any or all of the real-time Metal Gears = a solid two weeks of plane travel.

If they’re going to stick with it, I’d like to see more software tailored to the specifics of the device. Mere passable translations of FPS/action templates from home consoles are pointless.

14. get2sammyb

The thing is, if Sony don’t react to 3DS quick, they’ll lose the support of the likes of Square Enix, Capcom and Kojima — the people who’ve made the PSP a moderate success. The PSP’s done really well, but I don’t see how they can attach a ten year life cycle to it. They need to have one last push this holiday (with a price-drop) and then move onto the next thing in my opinion.

15. OlderGamer

The thing that kills the PSP is that it is handheld. Honestly outside of JP/Asia, the only handhelds are stuff from apple/other MP3 players, and Phones. The people that don’t buy PSPs don’t all have a DS either.

The west, esp NA, just aren’t handheld heavy. My teens both have ipods and cell phones that they can not be seperated from. We own a PSP3000, and neither of them use it. Not even on longer car trips. Worth noting we also own a DS, it doesn’t get any play time either.

I do fully understand that their is a market in the west for both the DS and the PSP. But I don’t care if they released a PSP2 or a PSP10, we will still want to game on a PC/PS3/or XB360. And when we aren’t at home, most of us will use our iPODs(iPOD Touch, here), or even a cell phone.

I think that in general people over estemate the size of this market in the western hemisphere.

16. DaMan

DS sales in NA are like three times as much as Psp..

17. Erthazus

@16 They care. They first of all care about their own business.

18. DaMan

different strokes for different folks, but the issue with it has always been how most of the library were mere dumbed down console games. many people want handheld experience from their handheld, DS did that right from the start, Apple whilst still definetely lacking in quality are on the right track.

I, for one, would hate playing a GoW or a Silent Hill on a handheld, it’s just irritating and clumsy. I ‘d rather wait until I get back home and play them on the console. but once again, different strokes for diff folks.

19. Erthazus

@18 It’s your opinion. Many gamers travel, or many kids can play more serious games on that PSP or watch movies.

For me, DS was lacking with these games, yeah, some of them were great like The World Ends with you, but GTA games and china town wars were amazing.

3DS started to show something more mature and i like it and going to play with it, while DS i hate it with it’s outdated hardware. I really don’t care about innovation with touch screen or 3D. I need more games and they must be awesome.

I appreciate innovation with software, but i care less about hardware innovation or software innovation on handhelds.

20. DaMan

well, no shit, Sherlock. which is why I said the ‘to each their own’ thing, twice…. (!) but the fact is that the sales agree with me.

why defend your favourite product all the time, and justify it’s failures when instead you can join those who question it’s faults. the topic is about commercial success of the thing anyway.

21. Erthazus

@20 did i said here that i don’t agree with the sales?
    PSP does not fail, it’s just not enough people who want that experience. It’s not enough market for it. I understand that and i don’t care about it.

I’m now waiting for the 3DS. That i want, while i hate DS.

22. DaMan

you felt the need to assert the ‘it’s your opinion’ part, while I already mentioned the difference in tastes in my post.

anyway, like others said unless Sony aren’t serious about handheld market they should release a new one soon.

23. Erthazus

@22 I think they are going to show it next year.
    the reason is simple, they want to crash it like Sony killed Dreamcast with PS2 releasing more powerefull system (but i hope they won’t sell it for 599 US DOLLARS :lol:).
    + they had enough money to pull some strings, but until that, i’m waiting for the 3DS, i really want that library.

24. AJacks92

@2 Haha. Pretty funny. Just outta curiosity…are you like the site moderator that’s able to post up articles? Pretty cool “hobby”

25. Crysis

well the PSOne was launched in 1994, the PS2 in 2000, the psp in 2005 & the ps3 in 2006, if this is anything to go by, the psp2 & ps4 will be released by 2011 & 2012 respectively but development continuing for another 2-4 years depending on demand