Mass Effect 3 to be “lighter” than ME2, says BioWare

Wednesday, 2nd June 2010 16:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Mass-Effect-2

BioWare’s Casey Hudson has said that Mass Effect 3 will be a bit more fun and lighthearted than Mass Effect 2.

Speaking with OXM UK, Hudson said that the third installment will bring “fun and lightness” back to the series with Normandy pilot Joker and the on-board AI, EDI.

“Well, we’re not talking too much about Mass Effect 3 right now, but the second story in a trilogy is where you traditionally end up in a fairly dark place,” said Hudson. “The third story is where you try and bring some fun and lightness back into it.

“One thing we tried to do with Mass Effect 2 was as well as bringing in the more mature stuff, we also tried to bring in a lot more humor so that we can go to these places without making it an overbearing experience.

“I think we have a lot more fun this time through characters like Joker and EDI. Mass Effect 3 is going to be the epic conclusion… so, a lot more darkness but also a lot more humor.”

Hudson has also said that Mass Effect 3 will have mining, and DLC will be released in a “constant stream” to bridge the story between Mass Effect 2 and the third installment.

Sounds lovely.

1. SunKing

Ewoks?

2. Daodan

Yyyeah. As you finally take on the battle with them great big machines that wanna eradicate all life in the galaxy, the story suddenly turns a lot more bright. I’m feeling it.

Seriously, this is like the only logical outcome after they exclaimed 237 times that Mass Effect 2 would be “darker”, “a darker story”, “more serious and dark” and a “more dark, grim game”.

All cynicism aside, I love BioWare and Mass Effect so I’m really looking forward to part 3. Do hope it has a better story this time around.

3. Razor

It better be on PS3 this time.

4. unacomn

I’m hoping they will have a full cast rendition of Gilbert&Sullivan using the crew of the Normandy.

5. Mike W

@Daodan

Damn I didn’t get a chance to play Mass Effect 2, is the story that bad? If you want to see bad story play Alan Wake.

6. DeSpiritusBellum

I’ll pass.

@5 It’s that bad.

7. Golden

Bugger, I liked ME2 just the way it was. I need a good space opera. For the love of God Bioware dont change it.

8. OlderGamer

I have said it before.

If you want a great story…

…read a book, watch a movie, or a TV show.

Games have to be about the gameplay. Even RPGs.

If the exploration, char development, loot, spells/skills, and actual game mechanics aren’t fun, it won’t matter what kind of story they are trying to tell.

Its like Tetris. Sure it simple and repetitive, but at the basic level it is fun. Sports games do the samething. Racers. Even the CoDs and Halos. Games are about finding that core gameplay that is fun and then it is rinse and repeat. Almost everything else is just one form or another of a bell or a whistle.

I think it would be nice if game devs/pub stopped trying so hard to make everything into a franchise. MEone was a decent game. It felt fresh. Most of that magic will be lost by the time they finish the thrid one.

Rinse and repeat.

But without the fresh fun, the story just won’t matter.

Very few exceptions to that rule, and most of those exceptions only matter to the games most dedicated fans.

9. SunKing

What makes video games have great stories is the way they involve you in them. In that way, I think you can have great stories in video games, but it’s more down to the way they’re told rather than the story itself, though plot and characters are important.

10. OlderGamer

@9 Agreed.

I really enjoy an open world style sandbox game where I shape the world and unfold the story. Yet I stay far away from most linear RPGs where you tend to get lead by the hand.

11. Daodan

@5: It plays fine as is, it’s just in no way a continuation of the story, rather a whole new one. Which, in my eyes, is an incredible shame. They really let a great opportunity slip there; Mass Effect was an amazing prelude, and they could’ve done so much to continue that great story and setting. Instead, they decided to introduce a completely new and redundant story that feels more like a pauze in than an addition to ME and ME3′s main storyline.

Basically what I’m saying is that they could make 13 more games like ME2 before they continue to the epic conclusion (now in ME3). It’s a fine game, just feels like a bump in the storyline.

12. Phoenixblight

Agreed
    I loved ME 2 over Mass Effect 1, the characters in the second were a lot more fleshed out than the original. I prefer a great story over gameplay, of course the gameplay has to be great otherwise you will get frustrated at the mechanics. One of my all time favorite games is MGS 4. Now that I am replaying it, I noticed how far ahead of the industry this game was. No Sandbox game is as indepth as that game.

13. OlderGamer

Your so far out to lunch you won’t make it back in time for dinner. ;)

Lets break this down.

“I prefer a great story over gameplay…”

That is called a Movie, TV show, book or a chat around the camp fire.

“…of course the gameplay has to be great otherwise you will get frustrated at the mechanics”

Oh, so you do favor gameplay after all?

“One of my all time favorite games is MGS 4. Now that I am replaying it, I noticed how far ahead of the industry this game was”

That is funny. No really it is. MGS4 is a cut scene with load times and buttons. My guess is that you also like jp animie too. But you prolly don’t see the connection between that and the games you enjoy.

Sandbox, by its very nature is, infinitly deeper then linear games. But first we should define what we are calling deep. What is the bases for depth? Go play World Of Warcraft(MMO/sandbox style of game), and tell me the story, the gameplay, the world itself lack depth. That game is ladden in lore. Dripping with it infact, yet never does it beat you over the head it. Never does it say you can’t play now, just watch. Never does it force you by the hand to be this or do that. There is an opening cut scene for each race when you start the game. There are VERY few cinimatics. There is an open world. Factions to alien yourself with or against. Excelent char development. Story rich NPCs everywhere. You do what you want. Go where you want. Play the way you want.

And WoW isn’t the best MMORPG out there. But the amount of depth in that game vs say MGS4 is boundless.

IF MGS4 was so far ahead of the rest of the industry, why haven’t we seen a stampede of games chasing after it?

Again ask yourself, depth of what?

I figure your talking about story.

You don’t play a story. You play a game, the story gives you the excuse to do it.

14. Erthazus

ahahaha… a bit more fun? Seriously? I thought Mass Effect 2 was a pinnacle of casual action adventure game.

I mean really… Really… REALLY.

@OlderGamer, you don’t understand a little bit. For example i can’t play games without a decent story in 2010. Story is very important in games and Metal Gear solid have for example phenonmenon story, not to mention that it have good gameplay and you feel that you are not watching it, but you actually participate in this event by touching few buttons.
    If Metal Gear Solid was a movie it would be not that awesome. Some of the stuff that Metal Gear have is just need something interactive.
    In 2009-2010 we started to see companies that have writers for games. What makes FPS genre like Uncharted 2 so cool? It is the story and the atmosphere.
    what makes Gears Of War so awesome? Story and the atmosphere of the war where you participate.

Why we play games? Because we want to interract with the world. Story just give interactivity, the feel of the world that we like to play.
    Your favourite games is CIV REV or Civilization. For Christ sake, this game is full of setting, story stuff. The most important part of this game is the story and the setting no matter what. It’s just when you play the game you feel it and you don’t need additional dialogs or other stuff.

In 21 century, game without a decent plot, setting is shit.

15. The Hindle

OG considering that most game developers cite Kojima as an influence id say Metal Gear is a lot more then a cut scene. Playing that game on big boss mode is very hard imo. Wow is an mmo and metal gear is a stealth action game bit of a unfair comparison if you ask me. The online in Mgs 4 was also very deep.

16. Boris Fett

Ironic, considering that Metal Gear Solid is the staple-child for how not to tell a decent story.

17. Phoenixblight

Most of my games are made by Bioware, Square, Atlus, Kojima, etc.

I enjoyed the Xenosaga series too yeah it was nothing but a long cutscene with some combat in it. I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

Movies are too short compared to games like MGS 4.

I am not going to argue over your view on what games should be, thats subjective.

Thats exactly how I feel about games.

18. Zanon

Ever heard of Planescape Torment?

19. DeSpiritusBellum

@Oldergamer

I really don’t think you can generalize like that. First of all there are millions of people playing games worldwide. That alone should leave a few more options to choose from, than simply “Games are 100% gameplay”.

No matter how utilitarian you get when it comes to making games, stories still remain a major motivation in playing through them, helping to suspend your disbelief, and certainly even more so in remembering that you played them for years to come.

That alone adds value to providing a solid story for a game. I agree that a story without gameplay is a waste of everybodys time, but I still believe that a truly great game needs both.

20. Bulk Slash

I think I’d prefer ME3 to maintain the darker tone of ME2, I don’t want them going Return of the Jedi on us…

21. JimFear666

mass effect 3 will be a cash in.

22. Wonko

@14. So you’re basically saying that Super Mario Galaxy 2 (a clear candidate for GOTY) is shit?

23. Erthazus

@22 Where i said that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is shit? Where in 14 post i said that SMG2 is shit?

24. OlderGamer

Guess I hit a nerve.

Look it is simple. Story is important, but it is not the defining element of a videogame.

“I agree that a story without gameplay is a waste of everybodys time, but I still believe that a truly great game needs both.”

Exactly. But saying that would be far less fun ;)

Now to the fun.

“I play games for the their story its why my collection lacks COD, and Halo type games. Yes I enjoy JP anime, your point?”

Ok first up is, like them or not CoD and Halo out sell MGS by a plan stupid margine. All three games strong story elements. Although the largest world wide selling points of CoD and Halo are not their respective storylines(although some dedicated Halo fans would agrue that). For those games it is their Online MP. And as much story as needed for that you could fill one paragraph with.

As for the JP Animie, its a phase. I won’t say you will out grow it, but over time you will enjoy it less. Trust me it happens to the best of us. JP Animie is like a cooler extension of saturday morning cartoons. You moved beyond them, same will happen with Animie.

And, yes flame bait as it is(here…need a match?), I 100% believe it is the solid truth. Wait till your in your 50s and then look back. You will smile. Trust me.

It is kind of like how your taste in music changes. When your a teen, your filled with angst, everyone is out to get you, and so on. Your music at that time is going to reflect that. As you age, and change, so does your musical taste. Tho its funny, I still enjoy the same songs from the same artists, I don’t enjoy new artists singing the same kind of songs. If your older you will understand. And nope 20something isn’t old enough.

As far as games go, there is a phsycology that goes into them. A reward system for good, punishment system for doing bad. Do good = kill streak, bad = respawn. Kill enough badies and you Level Up, unlock new skills etc. New Parts for the car … even new cut scenes that further the story.

However if the gameplay is poor most players will not keep playing. Regaurdless of the story. How many people read the books or graphics novels/comics behind their fav games? Halo has lots of books. World of Warcraft does. Even MGS does. Who reads them? Or rather what %, how many people? I have no way of knowing an exact %, but sufice to say not many when compared to the same number that play the games themself.

The point being that the over whelming majority of gamers are in it for the gameplay. Not the story.

The story has to apeal to them mind you. How many of us will be interested in playing the new Barny or Kipper games even if they did have amazing gameplay? I would even argue that the game makes it first impressions not with its story, but with its setting, its char art, and the list of bullets of things you can DO in the game(flipping the box over, for example).

I know that the site I am on is mostly EU. And as such many of you value different things on the whole then NA gamers do. Most of teh time I could careless about a SP story driven game. But many folks here love em. I can’t figure out why, but hey live and let live ;)

@Erth, Civ has nothing to do with story my friend. It does have to do with history and largly to do with the setting there of. But the game itself has no campaign mode. No story driven narritive. It is a sandbox of sorts. Lays down the rules, and lets you go build. I love games like that.

I think the masses do too. Easy to digest story lines. Apealing settings. And freedom of choice when it comes to gameplay.

Not every game needs to be like that but, be it MP CoD, Civ, LBP, MNR, or WoW you can it that it apeals to a lot of people. One of the reasons I get so down on JP games is because at the heart of it they have not embraced these steps forward. They want to control and challange the gamer in the game enviroment. The way they have always done.

Again many of the EU crowd loves that type of story driven SP experience. Easy to see why they favor the PS3. Also easy to see why NA leans more towards online play.

I think it just boils down to different demographics. Thanks for the long read. I like to type.

25. YoungZer0

Of Course Super Mario Galaxy 2 is shit. Like every Nintendo game is has a story for retards.

26. OlderGamer

Just to add that Mario is a great example of a JP game that is very lite on story, big on gameplay. And not only is alot of fun to play, but sells huge.

27. Boris Fett

@25 You have to be an intentional troll. Seriously. That or really witty.

28. Uncontested

Wall of boring over analyzing, over reaching, over redundant, over… well you get it.. text crits you for 1000 damage!