EA Partners signs Insomniac Games for new multi-platform IP

Tuesday, 25th May 2010 16:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ratchetandclankacit

EA Partners has signed Insomniac Games for the developer’s first multi-platform title ever. That’s right: Insomniac’s creating a 360 game.

The title is part of a new IP in development at Insomniac’s Burbank studio in California for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Terms of the deal were not announced, although the developer will keep control of all rights to the IP.

In its 16 year existence, until now, Insomniac has always created titles for PlayStation platforms, be that with Spyro the Dragon, Ratchet & Clank and Resistance.

“Working with EA Partners allows us to extend the reach of our games to a multiplatform audience while retaining ownership of the intellectual property,” said CEO of Insomniac, Ted Price.

“We are excited and eager to introduce Insomniac to a new group of gamers while reinforcing to our loyal fans what makes our games special.”

“Insomniac is renowned for their commitment to quality and their ability to create unique, exciting worlds for gamers to explore,” said EA Partners general manager, David DeMartini.

“We look forward to help them bring their next blockbuster franchise to the millions of diehard Insomniac fans on PlayStation and the soon to be millions of diehard Insomniac fans on Xbox 360.”

No date for the title was mentioned.

We chatted to Price and DeMartini about the deal last night. Get more on it here.

PR below.

INSOMNIAC GAMES SELECTS EA PARTNERS FOR NEW PUBLISHING
AGREEMENT

New Franchise Marks the Independent Studio’s First Multiplatform Release

Redwood Shores, Calif. – May 25, 2010 – Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced a publishing agreement with independent developer Insomniac Games that will bring the studio’s upcoming, all-new franchise to the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system.

This will be the first multiplatform release in Insomniac’s storied 16-year history.

Published through the distinguished EA Partners program, the new title will mark the introduction of a brand new universe from Insomniac, creators of the universally-acclaimed Spyro the Dragon, Ratchet & Clank and Resistance franchises that have combined to sell more than 35 million copies worldwide.

The still unnamed title is in production at the company’s Burbank studio. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

“Working with EA Partners allows us to extend the reach of our games to a multiplatform audience while retaining ownership of the intellectual property,” said Ted Price, founder and CEO of Insomniac Games.

“This is an exciting day for all of us at EA Partners and for gamers everywhere,” said David DeMartini, Senior Vice President and General Manager of EA Partners. “Insomniac is renowned for their commitment to quality and their ability to create unique, exciting worlds for gamers to explore.

Ship timing for the game was not announced.

For more information on Insomniac Games, please visit www.insomniacgames.com.
###

1. V_Ben

awesome news. Hope the IP is a solid one!

2. Erthazus

So yeap, no Resistance 3 this year. Gheritt was right.

3. Gheritt White

Can’t wait! So exciting!

4. OlderGamer

All I can say is it is about damn time.

5. Benjo1981

Cool, will look forward to seeing what this is.

6. Johnny Cullen

This is probably going to turn ugly soon.

7. Blerk

Glad to see this rumour turned out to be absolutely untrue like they repeatedly said it wa… wait! :-D

8. theevilaires

It’s exciting because a once only Sony dev is now doing a multiplat title? Huh? You know what will be exciting….the day the stealth 360 fanboys actually purchase and own a PS3.

9. Redh3lix

This is good news all around tbh as R&C and Resi were a little stale imo. Great dev house though, just need to try something new tbh.

10. Detale

Interesting news, can’t wait to see what the Insomniac guys have up their sleeves.

11. OlderGamer

I don’t know Tea, if Bungie can do it, why not Insomniac?

I think it makes good sense from a biz stand point. More money to be made in multiplatforming. So if that makes them a stronger/bigger/better studio …thats a good thing.

12. Gheritt White

@ 8: It’s exciting like Bungie going multiplat is exciting… exciting like seeing new ways for you to express that giant chip on your shoulder, you odious cuntrag.

13. Redh3lix

12: “…you odious cuntrag”

Will try and fit that within a sentence tommorow as it’s simply awesome :D

14. theevilaires

@ O.G. I understand that point and have no issue with that business aspect. Its just funny how some people here in the past (who are well known die hard XBOTS) always crapped on Insomniac games when they were only PS3 exclusive.

Now he’s pretending to like Insomniac all of a sudden. When we all know if Bungie did a PS3 exclusive he’d slit his throat in a fucking heart beat.

15. Blerk

I literally just spat tea on my desk when I read “odious cuntrag”! :-D

16. Detale

I just hope they find time to squeeze out another R&C game, we’re big fans. Even if they go for another downloadable episode like the pirate flavoured one they did last time.

17. Gheritt White

@14: Bite me, fanboy.

18. Aimless

Good for Insomniac. It’s certainly been a long time coming!

I rather hope their new games is some sort of modern take on the platformer, seeing as it’s pretty much an uncontested genre outside the Wii. A Crack In Time had some promising elements in that respect, but that series has always been a shooter first and foremost with the exploration being more of an added flavour.

More tangentially, if this is the reason you don’t think R3 will be announced this year, Gheritt, it’s worth mentioning that Insomniac have two studios now, one in Burbank the other in North Carolina.

19. theevilaires

Right, I’m the fanboy who owns both a Xbox360 and a PS3. While you still sit there and pray for things like this to happen with every Sony exclusive.

Go lick a camel’s ass Gheritt.

20. OlderGamer

@ Gheritt White for what it is worth, I don’t think that commet was called for. Pretty immature. Thats all i am going to say about it.

Never understood fanboyism, one way or another.

Anways: @ Detale I agree that one negitive from this could be reduction in PS3 exclusive games. I hope not, and also hope that the quality of said games don’t dip either. Seems that they might need to expand their staff to meet their new goals. Again the hope would be that doing so doesn’t delute their talant pool.

21. Johnny Cullen

Word of the way: “cuntrag”. :D

22. Gheritt White

@ 18: No, I don’t think R3 will be announced this year because I expect the studio to give the third instalment a three-year dev cycle. Announcing it at E3 ’10 would be eighteen months ahead of my projection for its release, which wouldn’t make much sense in PR terms. But hey, I could very well be wrong.

@ 20: #17 was probably uncalled for… I was just looking for an excuse to use that pic, tbh.

23. OlderGamer

I like the pic lol.

But imo #12 was rude. Not my place to say I guess.

24. Gheritt White

@ 23: ‘Course it’s your place – we’re all entitled to voice our opinions, OG – especially in what equates to a forum.

25. Erthazus

What pisses me off that they are not making for PC.

So PC is a problem?

26. theevilaires

Doesn’t effect me O.G. one bit. He can say whatever he wants. They’re just cheap quick laughs for the rest of his XBOT buddies.

Its sad to know that most of them only really care about Sony losing an exclusive dev team rather than a great dev team spreading their talents to a system that needs good games desperately (especially first party stuff).

27. Gheritt White

Aww, he’s flirting! Bless his cotton socks.

28. theevilaires

Lets look at this new venture with EA like an experiment. If Insomniac does a game with multiplayer and includes a structure like R2′s 30 on 30 we’ll see if the mighty xbox live can handle it without lag issues.

Hopefully they can teach Epic a few things before Gears3 releases.

29. Galactic_Barret

Hmm, wish I could muster up the emotion to be upset or shocked, but its just so good for them, all I can is smile and wish them the best.

I hope the new IP is in a new genre. I know the 360 is in need of platformers, but if they really want to spread their wings, they need to explore something out of their comfort zone.

30. Johnny Cullen

Wow, I’ll be honest. I was kinda expecting a massive meltdown on the level of FFXIII 360, but this just shows there might be a little bit of maturity from this massive fanboy war left.

I guess that with Bungie coming to PS3, Insomniac was a trade-off somewhat.

31. Withnail

Why would anybody have a meltdown? Sony and PS3 fans didn’t lose anything, Insomniac will still be making PS3 exclusives, but they also just gained a multi-platform game from a developer that knows the PS3 inside out. Looks like a win-win situation to me.

32. Gheritt White

@ 31: QFT

33. The Hindle

I cant believe how much news ive missed dam internet going away. anyone mind doing a recap lol there is so much.

34. Erthazus

@30 It’s because Insomniac is still developing exclusive games for PS3.
    They are not going multiplat for 100%. Thats why we don’t see fanboy rage much.
    and with Bungie there was not so much of a rage because Halo will be developed by 343 industries.

FFXIII is another story.