Killzone 3: Listen to the entire reveal presentation from Amsterdam [Update]

Monday, 24th May 2010 20:02 GMT By Patrick Garratt

killzone33

We’ll cut a long story short. We went to Amsterdam in mid-May to interview Guerilla and play Killzone 3. We spoke to studio managing director Hermen Hulst and played the game in both 2D and 3D. The original embargo for coverage from the event was June 1, but thanks to leaks from the US press over the weekend (sincere, heartfelt thanks for that), the embargo was brought forward this afternoon. A lot. To today.

You’ve probably already seen a few hands-on pieces (there’s one on IGN and Eurogamer‘s just gone live) but you’ll have to wait until tomorrow for ours. We’ll have the interview with Hermen for you as soon as we can, but in the meantime you can find audio of Hermen’s entire demo below.

There’s a ton of information in there, and it’s well worth a listen. Stay tuned for more. Get first shots here and the reveal PR here.

Update: We’ve had to remove this at Sony’s request. We’ve got an interview and playtest on the way for you, though.

1. onlineatron

Is the audio messed up or is it just me?

2. Patrick Garratt

Yeah, the MP3 was corrupted. Try now.

3. AHA-Lambda

any word on the release date?

4. Erthazus

Lol. Standard:
    – Open fire!111
    – I think we were hit!!11

What dissapoints me that Guerilla is using 3D, thats why their engine is the same and graphics are the same. I spoke today with guys who are in 3D stuff and they explained to me about 3D effects piece by piece. I like them very much on my monitor but they are not upscaled or something and they are used in full power.

and i hope Naughty Dog’s Uncharted 3 or whatever it is… Will use better graphics and upgraded engine and not 3D.

For 3D you need 60 frames per second. You need only 60 FPS minimum. It’s not like everybody will experience 3D… PS3 is not capable to make really great looking games with 3D and they are pushing what people don’t going to use in the near future. Few steps are good, but this is upscaling experience for 3D users and killing stunning new Effects in standard High definition.

5. Patrick Garratt

@3 – “Next year.”

6. Alakratt

So I’m guessing Resistance 3 will be announced for this year then? What do you think Pat?

7. The Hindle

8. The Hindle

Also on topic do you know about the order of Sonys exclusives Pat because they seem to be revealing loads before E3.

9. Tallon 4

I was in Amsterdam too :) I live in Holland. It’s a shame I couldn’t make it to Guerilla HQ :/

10. AHA-Lambda

“Off topic guys but Ign just leaked some Hitman 5 news about an hour go its gone now though. Basically its late this year and the new movie is based off it.”

Seriously?? Any links anywhere??

11. cookiejar

This will go up against the Gears 3 release im sure of it.

12. The Hindle

Nope ive tried looking man the only thing left is the details about the Hitman 2 movie but before there was confirmation of a 5th game, its gone now.

13. The Hindle

Found it http://uk.xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/hitman-5/1092269p1.html

14. AHA-Lambda

wow amazing news!! :D

as long as the film doesn’t affect the game though plus it is too late a reveal now to expect a 2010 release IMO

15. tezzer1985

Comment on Killzone story, if you want to talk about Hitman,take it to the forums.

Can’t wait for Killzone, Loved Killzone 2, I’m also getting a Bravia 3D TV, before the end of the year in time for 3D.

16. The Hindle

I said off topic read the comment.

17. Erthazus

Pat, did you like Killzone 3? You said

“We went to Amsterdam last week to interview Guerilla and *play Killzone 3*”

First impressions? :)

18. Patrick Garratt

@17 – It was brilliant, yeah. I was only allowed to play three small sections. The first was me on foot against jetpacks, the second was me flying in a jetpack against Helghast and the third was the new “brutal” melee system, which was bonkers.

It’s a very immediate think. The controls are the same. I just picked it up and started playing it. The particle effects and general level of detail were properly fucking nuts.

I’ll write it all up in the morning.

19. absolutezero

aawwwwwwww fuck Rico.

Fuck off Rico.

20. Erthazus

@18, Wow, interesting.

and the last question: Did you enjoyed levels much more then the levels from Killzone 2? (If you played of course)

Becauce for me Killzone 2 had oldschool feel, but it was not that big blockbuster in my opinion. In terms of scale it was a little bit dissapointing for me.

21. Patrick Garratt

@20 – I played about half of Killzone 2′s single-player, I guess. That’s actually quite a lot for me, to be honest. I thought it was a good game, but this has certainly had a “significant upgrade”.

22. Gekidami

Did you see this in 3D Pat?

23. The Hindle

How far along is the game Pat? loads of questions :D

24. Erthazus

@21 Thanks for the impressions. I hope it delivers.

25. Gekidami

The guy says that they’re showing an alpha build in that audio clip so i guess they arent that far into it.

26. Patrick Garratt

@23 – All he’d say to me was “next year, for sure”. We weren’t allowed to just play the game because the dev’s didn’t let us feel “comfortable” running around unsupervised, so I’d say there was a lot of work to be done.

@22 – Yeah. Everyone attending was given a 10-15-minute demo in 3D. It was genuinely cool. I’ve been a big 3D naysayer, but it really did work well. We weren’t allowed to play it in 3D, though. A guy was playing the game and jumping around different sections showing off features, etc.

27. The Hindle

It does make me wonder about R3 if Kz 3 is a 2011 game because i cant see R3 coming this year and i cant see Sony launching two big fps series in the same year as that would be like Microsoft doing a Gears and Halo never happens, so maybe we are looking at early 2012 for R3.

28. Galactic_Barret

This is what makes VG247 the best: Direct interaction with the staff, and they’re not just responding to defend their honor. Its a beautiful thing that puts them, you guys and gals, far ahead of the pack in my opinion.

29. Patrick Garratt

Guerilla’s requested we remove the audio. Sorry. I’m working on the interview now. I’ll get it up ASAP.

30. mington