Final Fantasy XIII sells over 5 million units worldwide in FY10

Tuesday, 18th May 2010 13:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ffxiii7

Square Enix has announced its sold over 5.5 million units worldwide of Final Fantasy XIII in the company’s fiscal year ending March 31, 2010.

The RPG went on sale in Japan first just before Christmas last year, selling 1.85 million units. It later went on sale in early March of this year in the west, with the US outselling Europe by 1.79 million copies to the latter’s 1.77 million.

Square Enix confirmed the day after FFXIII’s launch in the west it had shipped 5 million units worldwide of the game.

The firm’s also confirmed Batman: Arkham Asylum has gone on to sell over 3.2 million units worldwide, while recently-released Just Cause 2 is nearing the 1 million mark, having sold 0.92 million units.

The information came out of the company’s full-year financials. Get that here.

Full breakdown below:

• Final Fantasy XIII – 5.55 million units
  • Dragon Quest IX – 4.26 million units (Japan alone)
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum – 3.24 million units
  • Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days – 1.49 million units
  • Dragon Quest VI – 1.29 million units
  • Just Cause 2 – 0.92k units
  • Dissidia: Final Fantasy – 0.82k units (Japanese LtD sales – 1.81 million units)
  • Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep – 0.76k units

1. Erthazus

This piece of underwhelmed linear, overrated, overhyped crap don’t deserve even 50.000 sales in my opinion.

I hope Tetsuya Nomura understood mistakes from FF-X2 creators.

This is probably the biggest dissapointment in this generation. IMHO

2. 52pickup

I only paid 18 quid for mine but so far i’m enjoying the game.

3. Gadzooks!

I’m almost at the end of FF13 with a good 70-80 hours logged and have to say I’ve quite enjoyed it.

The linear bits before Gran Pulse went on too long, but overall I’m glad I got the game.

4. loki

Congratulation to SE, FF13 – good game , for right platforms and with very good sales. Suck it PC port creators

5. Quiiick

Yes, congrats to SquareEnix. Well deserved!

6. Blerk

I wonder if I’ll ever bother picking this up?

7. Johnny Cullen

Do I even need to say what I think of the game? ;)

8. DaMan

:?

9. Erthazus

@6 Please, don’t pick this up. It’s a disaster.

10. Blerk

We genuinely have no idea what you think of it, Johnny. I don’t recall you ever mentioning it before. :-)

11. Gadzooks!

I’m going to go ahead and assume that you are too young to appreciate how pathetic your post sounds.

12. Dralen

I’m also nearing the end of this game, and I enjoyed it. It was no where near as good X; that game was just amazing. But definitely worth the money considering the amount of hours you will get out of it.

13. Tonka

Is DQIX not out yet?
    Outside of the land of kiddy fiddlers that is.

14. OlderGamer

I bought the FFBundle for xb360. Then turned around and traded in the FF game on the spot. I had rented it, and hated it it after 6 hrs. I know I could have stuck with it, I just don’t feel I should have to work so damn hard at enjoying a game.

I’d also like to see a break down of what sales were by system. I know the game wasn’t even out in JP on xb360.

15. Erthazus

@11 Maybe you can just shut up or i need to repeat my last sentence from GT thread?
    If you have problems ignore me. You so wanted that button. I see.

16. Johnny Cullen

Oops. Wrong comment. :D

Blerk – Hush. :P

17. Johnny Cullen

Tonka – this summer.

18. Tonka

Cool beans.

19. NiceFellow

I haven’t seen any official split, but Western FPS aside I’ve noted in the past similar titles seem to be roughly 50/50 360/PS3 in US and more like 60/40 PS3/360 in Europe.

Given Japan was exclusive and apparently sold well I’m therefore guessing at least two thirds, perhaps more, of the sales must have been on PS3 vs 360. That still means a very nice chunk of sales on 360.

20. Monk

@OG

if I`m not wrong, I remember the NPD sales in America
    was 2/1 for PS3.
    which America is the [major] area for Xbox360 !

21. OlderGamer

What i was wondering is, really, what was the motivation in terms of sales, for SQE to put VS on xb360? I figure they will, and I was guessing that the sales from western regions on xb360 was encouraging enough to warrent its(Vs) release on both systems.

22. Monk

Money [ cough..cough.. M...S ] taking !

23. OlderGamer

Can’t blame them tho, can you? I mean they are in the biz of making money – SQE I mean.

24. NiceFellow

@21 – I see what you mean. Looking at what sales info seems to be around it looks like FFXIII saw the bulk of its sales on PS3, however it seems to have sold enough on 360 to warrant the effort, although it seems FF remains a Playstation focused franchise.

My expectation would be the same as FFXIII – exclusive in Japan to keep Sony happy and multi-platform in US/Europe.