PSP2: Touch-screen, two cameras, games for “end 2010, beginning 2011″

Monday, 17th May 2010 13:09 GMT By Patrick Garratt

psp2

If you thought a hint that PSP2 may make an appearance at E3 was exciting, get a load of this shit.

Baby steps.

• MCV rumoured last week that Sony “could” announce PSP2 at E3.
  • VG247 goes digging. According to a source familiar with the matter, it’s “99 percent” it isn’t an E3 reveal.
  • But there’s much, much more.
  • Multiple British sources have confirmed that PSP2 NDAs have been in place at publishers and developers for many months.
  • PSP2 has two cameras, one forward and one backward facing.
  • It has a touch-screen, but apparently it has retained the trademark physical PlayStation buttons.
  • UK sources were previously working towards a “2010″ release. This is now “2011″.
  • One source would be “amazed” if there was any kind of physical media involved. We’ve been told it “could” be 3G-enabled, as opposed to the WiFi-only PSP go. This bit was sketchy.
  • Multiple PSP2 games are being made in Britain right now. Some have even already been canned.
  • There have been “finished units” in the UK, but we haven’t spoken to anyone that’s seen a final case.
  • When asked directly about reveal timing, one source said, “If the games were aiming for end 2010, beginning 2011, and now it’s a 2011 release, I’d say a gamescom or TGS announce for launch early next year”.
  • One source told us the machine is “fucking powerful,” being based on a four-core Cell CPU. PS3 runs on an eight-core version.

Crapped yourself yet? Good. Remember, “99 percent” certainty leaves “1 percent” of uncertainty. Don’t take your eyes of Jack’s hands in Sony’s E3 press conference on June 15.

We will, of course, be there.

[Pic]

1. Mike

Ah, I didn’t read it properly. Face buttons are still there. My bad.

2. Egon Superb

We’ve trying to come up with a better name for it in the office. Best we’ve got is PiSsPot.

3. BillyBatts

Not exactly a looker, is she?

Still… *sex wee*

4. Gekidami

2 analogues please.

5. Bulk Slash

Four core Cell? Will it come with its own power plant? I’d think a Tegra based system more likely, but who knows what Sony are up to.

If they can make it the same size as the PSP Go and include a phone in it, they could be serious competition for Apple.

6. Aimless

That’s just a random mock-up, BillyBatts. One created by someone with no consideration for ergonomics.

7. Blerk

I like how some games have “already been canned”. Start as you mean to go on, and all that. :-D

8. Erthazus

“being based on a four-core Cell CPU”

WHAT? LOL?

And how Sony is going to make MONEY?

9. Yoshi

Why touchscreen though? WHATS WRONG WITH HAVING BUTTONS *CRIES*

10. cookiejar

Even if they don’t talk about it at E3, they should do an Apple ‘One more thing’ line at the end, then just flash a PSP 2 logo with Coming Soon underneath.

That would be good.

11. Kaufer

3G? As in PSphone? Well, I hope they have the good sense to put the mic where its actually useful unlike its placement in the PSPgo.

12. V_Ben

good grief. that sounds pretty swanky :-D

13. mojo

wow, that comes unexpected, doesnt it?

14. OrphanageExplosion

It’s not a four core Cell, it’s a four core version of the graphics chip in the iPad.

15. DJ Deathstar

To be fair as long as it has to analog nubs like it obviously will, then i’m prob sold already on this! Very unlikely 2010 though surely, although Sony probably enjoy pissing on the faces of those who bought a Go

16. James91

A PSP with a Cell chip with 4 SPE’s? (note SPE’s, not actual cores. PS3 has 7 SPE’s)

The battery life would be horrible were they to do that, plus how would you cool the bloody chip in it?

17. theevilaires

please tell me thats fake PLEASE!!!! :D (must read rest of article brb)

18. Blerk

It’s a fake.

19. theevilaires

Ok this is crazy, a 4 cell core processor WOW! This is going to be great. Good job Garratt!

20. polygem

great news. i love the idea of handhelds…loved the launch psp. it had some awesome games…got tired of it though because with few exceptions there weren´t many good new games anymore…always hoped for a ms handheld beyond zune hd. but this seems not to happen…2 analog sticks and all this graphic power and i´m in…definitely. i´m not a big fan of supermultitasking devices because they mostly suck, but on the other hand a mobile phone function would be great. it will need a clever overall design though. i hope sony will take the time to make everything right…would love to get rid of my iphone 2g finally. it´s a good phone, a phantastic mp3 player but a sucker for games.

21. Erthazus

I still don’t get it.
    Why Sony need 4 Cell Processor cores on the fucking handheld system. We are going to play Crysis 2 on the Go or what?

Whats the point of this? It’s like Sony wants to make a bad start with it or make five hundred and ninty nine US dollars with Giant Enemy Crab again?

22. Hakkiz

Just wondering how “portable” could it be with Cell. My first-gen PSP is pretty much dead after a couple of hours of operation. That’s not portable. Even my laptop can last twice longer and it still feels limiting.

23. Erthazus

@22 Relax, Cell processor is like your 2 finger-nails. It’s very small.

24. The Hindle

Sony should be focusing on the Ps3 not handhelds. There goes the suprises at E3 guys no point watching now lol.

25. xino

all bull!
    release date is 2011, now saying they’ve finish the product in UK!?

26. tontsa91

We dont need a touch screen, thats all i have to say.

27. JonFE

@Erthazus:

He is not worried about the size of the thing, but about its battery life…

28. El_MUERkO

I’m interested… as long as they don’t make it for midget hands and give us two decent analogue nubs.

Ideally I’d want easy porting of PS3 games. UFC 2011 on PSP2 would do me just fine :)

29. Monk

if it`s PSPphone, then it`s sold for me :-) .

30. Gekidami

A phone? No thanks, dont want to pay an operator just to play games.

31. PS3_Rules

Exactly, 2 not 1 as that is where the PSP failed.
    I have no interest in anything touch screen when it comes to gaming, it’s nice to know it will be a feature and not mandatory. :)

32. Hunam

$599?

33. z0phi3l

@Aimless Someone with no consideration for ergonomics, like the design for the PSP Go?

34. ExclusivesMostly

WTF, Patrick is that really the best looking concept you could find on the entire web. damn, if it even looks remotely like this the world will end on its release date,i mean the entire world not just gaming. its that awful!!!

@5: I would seriously consider replacing my IPhone, especially if it is as “fucking powerful” as the article says.

35. manamana

Gosh, what takes so long? Two damned analog nubs and better grfx! Thats all that matters!!

36. Galactic_Barret

@34 Right!? The wife looked at it, and thought it was cute. I sighed and told her it was ugly. She shrugged, and pondered if it was a ‘Girl thing’.

I would hope to high heaven that its nowhere near the final design, but could a different design actually increase its desirability with different genders?

37. frostquake

I love my PSP But HATE Sony’s Track Record.

1. Their ability to Re-Download Titles is atrocious. I don’t know if anyone remembers a Little Sony Program, called “Sony Connect”. You could buy songs and music videos, and put them on multiple devices, including the PSP! I loved it, Unlike i-tunes, which only allows one download and if you loose them, even your back-ups, your screwed! So I gave up on i-tunes for a year and spent a TON of money on songs and music videos on Sony Connect. Then BAM they shut down Sony Connect, but I wasn’t worried, I had back-ups on computers and multiple Sony Memory sticks! Then BAM..Hard Drives ate themselves and the PS3 Truncated the Memory Sticks, I lost EVERYTHING, over $1000.00 US… Since I had no Hard Media, like CD’s I was screwed…If I want the songs, cd’s, or music videos again, its spending that money all over again.

2. Sony is now coming along with with Games, Video, and other media that you can download. First they restrict how many times you can download it. Doesn’t matter if you point out you can listen to a CD, or DVD or Blu-Ray 100′s of times, they only want to let you download it up to 5 times at most!!! So now Games as well, but only up to 5 Downloads yet again, or 5 PSP’s…

3. Will Sony be here in 40 years?? Probably, but maybe not…then EVERYTHING, and I MEAN EVERYTHING you Bought as Download only will be gone, along with $1000′s of dollars. I still have Disney Movies in Clam Shells that are VHS that I can still watch in my VCR in the Guest Bedroom.

Give me Unlimited Downloads or give me Hard Media. I like not having to carry around alot of crap to play in my devices, but I also like Re-Downloading items that get corrupted on Memory cards, and not being charged again and again. I have NEVER and I mean NEVER had a UMD go bad on me in my PSP-1000, but I have had PSP games that I downloaded to my PSP get corrupted on the Memory Card, I have had a Ton of memory Cards go bad, where I had to re-download the game! Read Sony’s Download Policies…they can change them ANY TIME!!! But Owning the UMD, they can’t do a DAMN thing. I can play that game over and over and over and over again. Sony Won’t be coming to my House to collect my UMD’s after the PSP is long dead. Sure maybe my PSP or the 3 other PSP’s that the family has might die and then the UMD is Dead.

I hate the UMD as much as anyone else when it comes to carrying them around, but it sure beats not having to buy the game over and over again when the Download game goes bad or Sony stops selling or supporting it. So my Fugly UMD’s will work much longer then those DL Games that will eventually disappear.

Sony has got to do something on the Software side before I will trust them again…I was burned badly by Sony Connect Music service, so they have a long way to go before I will trust them again.

38. Steve-0

UGH. The repeating of false information annoys me. The PS3 has 1 core and 8 Secondary Processing Units. Not 8 cores.

39. Kaufer

@frostquake
    You can re-download games unlimited times. The 5 limit is the number of devices it can be shared on, using one PSN ID. That means on your sixth ps3 or psp, unless you deactivate/de-authorize aleast one of the 1 to 5 ps3 or psp from your account/PSN ID you wont be able to re-download on the sixth. Videos are a different case, i think. You only get to download completely only once, unless its free. It can’t be shared on different consoles. But you can backup it.

40. Galactic_Barret

You can redownload your games as many times as you want on the same system, up to 5 times for any others.

41. 742GV

Why is Cell installed? Where is the source? It is nonsense.

The answer.
    ARM Cortex CPU & PowerVR SGX5 GPU

42. themba.b

they should make it hav 2 analogue sticks and umd & download compatible
    Umd to me still beats DL anyday

43. Psychotext

Nice try crazy spambot.

Aww… was deleted. :(

44. theevilaires

why the hell you posting on one month old news? I thought this was new and pissed my pants!

45. Psychotext

I didn’t bump it. There was a rather odd spambot post in here, but someone deleted it just after I replied.

46. theevilaires

I thought that was your job, install fireshot on your browser to catch it next time :D

47. Go To College

Dont Worry its a Very good job …
    Go To College