Nintendo not afraid of Apple? Maybe it should be, says survey

Friday, 7th May 2010 03:10 GMT By Nathan Grayson

iPadpic_1

Portable gaming is Nintendo. Whether you’re spending your morning commute with a PSP, Nintendo DS, or Neo-Geo Pocket (RIP), to most passers-by, that little slab of plastic in your hands is a Gameboy. And oh, hey, 129 million sales. Nintendo’s throne is unassailable, right?

But we can remember a time when console gaming was the same way. “Wanna play Nintendo? Etc.” And according to a survey by Morgan Stanley’s Katy Huberty, Nintendo might be well served by remembering how that whole thing turned out.

The survey (via Fortune), which asked people whether or not they’d be buying certain tech toys or an iPad, found that 17 percent of respondents planned on sailing right past the handheld videogame aisle and into Apple’s open arms.

Last month, Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime seemed to think Apple was about as much of a threat to his company’s portable supremacy as the fruit its named after.

Meanwhile, Nintendo recently reported a steep decline in overall sales – especially in Europe, where sales were down a whopping 34 percent.

This is far from proof that Nintendo – and, to a lesser extent, Sony – needs to pack it in, but neither should the console-maker drop its guard. Otherwise, in a year or so, we’ll probably start hearing conversations along these lines:

“My iPad browses the web, stores books and magazines, plays games, gives me directions – honestly, pretty much everything. What’s your 3DS thing do?”

“Uh, you know how some cheesy kids’ birthday cards look 3D if you hold them the right way? That.”

1. Freek

Are you going to take your Ipad with you on the bus? No, you’re not.

2. themadjock

Not unless you use a man bag

3. Ark

It a european shoulder bag

4. manamana

Well, i neither take my DS nor my Fatty on the bus. But on the couch, in bed, on the balkony and in my bathtub. And guess what? I always want a bigger screen and better graphics …

If real games(not that crap thats out now) and big titles, come to the iPad, i’m in.

Every gamingplatform has at least one jewel. Whichone will iPad have?

5. Blerk

Anyone who’s not at least a bit wary of Apple is just burying their head in the sand. You might not take your iPad on the bus with you, but you’d take your iPhone.

6. michaelli

iPad supposed to be “pretty much everything”? if it is ture, ifunia will surpass microsoft.

7. Freek

Depends on the type of game you are looking for. Certain quick to play stuff works very well on Iphone, but more complex games still tend to find a better home on the traditional handhelds.

8. spiderLAW

i have an iphone, psp, and DSi…..i hardly use my iphone for gaming. I beat Plants vs. Zombies and N.O.V.A. on the iPhone and havent played a game on it since. I still play the DSi and i am going to fix my PSP so i can play Kingdom Hearts BBS and MGSPW…iPhone is cool and all but not that great of a gaming platform.