Black: “Fuck” realism over fun

Monday, 26th April 2010 11:56 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bodycount4

Bodycount boss Stuart Black’s in games development for kicks. Kicks and swearing, obv.

If sim-style play doesn’t “help” your project, insert your erect penis into its front bottom, the lead told the Guardian. Wait.

“If realism doesn’t help the game, fuck it, throw it away,” he said, adding, “I’ve known Codemasters all my gaming life, but I’d never thought about working for them. But it came to me through an agency, and I thought, what the hell.

“And when I went up there – I was just really impressed by the attitude towards development. It felt like, here’s a place I can get some creative freedom, some creative control and really develop something I want to develop.”

Black’s Bodycount, being developed at Codemasters Guildford, involves a man killing a lot of people with a lot of guns on a contract basis. “Realism” isn’t likely to feature too highly.

Bodycount includes crates that explode in “fucking operas” and a “genre-defining” FPS experience, if the team’s to be believed. There’s much to be said for enthusiasm.

It’s out in 2011′s first quarter for PS3 and 360.

1. Erthazus

Go fuck yourself Stuart.

2. daytripper

the main script writer wrote the masterpiece Killer Clowns 4: Zoggy the Penguin so dont expect any flowing story or decent dialouge for these games.

3. Benjo1981

Is it just me or is Stuart Black a nob?

4. Dean

The guy comes across as a bit of a tool.

5. Johnny Cullen

Say what you like about him, he’s pretty much got a point.

I’d rather have a super-fun game then ultra-realtistic graphics in a game that has no fun.

6. Benjo1981

I’m sure he has.

Doesn’t stop him being a nob with an ego disproportionate to his achievements.

7. mington

I found that to be a really refreshing read compared to the boring, can’t reveal that, don’t want to step on any toes, corporate interviews i keep reading

have to remember part 2 of the interview tomorrow

8. NGCes26294BIV

You people clearly don’t realise that what you’re hearing isn’t ego – he’s just Scottish :)

He pretty much swears ALL the time, and despite how that sounds out of context, he doesn’t bitch about specific titles or say that his own is the next best thing. *cough* Jaffe *cough* Perry *cough* Molyneux *cough*

There’s a vid on Xbox Live where you can see and hear him. He’s animated and boystrous (spl?), and just comes across as passionate imho.

9. NGCes26294BIV

P.s. Anyone got some Linctus?

10. polygem

i couldn´t agree more with his main statement. i´m so very tired of realistic modern warfare shooters. the setting sucks for a videogame. i love shooters but hate to play as a real life army soldier in real war or pseudo real war situations. videogames shouldn´t try to copy real life situations. they should create unique gaming worlds. i even think realistic racers are boring. i respect if someone likes that but i don´t get it.

11. BraveArse

Define fun.

One man’s “fun” is another man’s crock of shit. I, for example, thought Black was a tedious, odious pile of wank saved only by a very clever marketing team.

12. DeSpiritusBellum

Johnny C said it. Realism has never applied to games. If anything, games are about taking you out of reality, not making you wallow in it. Realism in games should be there purely for suspension of disbelief.

I don’t really give a damn who people are, it’s more interesting to me what they do and how they approach it. Since when did gamers become such a TMZ audience?

13. blackdreamhunk

Fact you can’t make crysis on consoles oh pawN!

14. stretch215

Fact : you are obviously wrong, and what does that have yo do with THIS article ??

15. MushroomStamp

TOTALLY AGREE! Realism screws up fun in a lot of games… Such as guns that don’t shoot straight because they want to have some “randomness”.

16. blackdreamhunk

@stretch215

your smart go figure it out!

17. mington