Natal’s River Rush outed and described by filmmaker James Gunn

Saturday, 17th April 2010 22:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

natal4

Filmmaker and writer James Gunn has posted on his official blog all about his experience playing a Natal game called River Rush during The Microsoft Experience event.

According to Gunn, River Rush is a co-op game where you and a partner stand side by side in raft.

In order to move the raft to the left or right, you step in the correct direction. As you go down the river rapids, you have to jump in the air and slap floating stars.

“This game was even more exhilarating than the kicking one [with red balls], and even more aerobically challenging,” he wrote. “In fact, I’d say the ONLY drawback to the Natal some people may have is that you have to get up off your ass to play it. But, for me, a person who likes exercise and gaming, it’s sort of a dream come true.

“An hour of playing Natal every night will definitely burn calories”.

That line there should make fitness game makers happy to hear it.

Gunn said that he also used his avatar in the game to molest his friend Dave’s female one.

Niiiiiice.

Gunn also revealed that there’s a boxing and football game coming out for Natal, and that the new motion controller should be out during the holidays – which is expected. Maybe even a $300 slim 360 bundled with Natal.

Ya never know.

You can read the full thing here.

We’ll send MS a mail and ask if River Rush is indeed a game or just a tech demo, just to have something to do, ya know.

1. Razor

WTF

2. Erthazus

I think it’s going to have perfect apps for casual gaming. Microsoft don’t want to screw this.

I hear too much good stuff for Natal now, but never saw a good demo of it. Some people say it’s a failure and not responsive enough, some people like it. My experience with Eye Toy was not great, i don’t think so that it’s something beyond Eye Toy or game like EyePet.

I don’t know. On the Sony’s side i’m excited about the technology and not in to software on it.

E3 is going to be the real battle this time. I really wish Sony had a killer app. Maybe Starcraft II with Move? Nah… Never going to happen but still… As the PS3 owner i don’t want to be dissapointed.

3. Filofax

This is the same guy that said “Microsoft was by far the most dreadful, non-talent friendly company” he ever worked for. So anything he has to say that’s Microsoft related I’ll take with more than a grain of salt.

4. reask

well that sounds highly boring.

5. Freek

His negativity about MS is within the context of making films, this is about games.

6. Blerk

Wow, that sounds awes…. shit! :-D

7. kdogg

The only drawback to Natal is that you have to get off your arse to play it. Yep he said it, that’s all I need to know.

I agree with Erthazus, the only thing I’m slightly excited for with these motion controllers is the potential to improve RTS games on a console… I think there’s big potential there. whoo ha.